What TV show are you watching now?

Torpedo

On 4/21/2024 at 6:12 AM, swt61 said:

Just watched the first episode and am already creeped out!

Marc Summers says they totally Shanghai'ed him for this.  He was brought in under the belief he would be talking in general about his time at Nickelodeon, which he has positive memories of.  He said so during his interview, but they dropped that Ariana Grande clip on him from after he had already left the network.  He didn't know what he was watching and asked a clarifying question, and that question is what they kept of his footage after telling him they cut all of his interview.  He didn't know he was in the film until it released and now people are asking him how he could have worked there knowing what he knew.

Kind of scuzzy practices to mischaracterize and mislead a guy who no one has any complaints about and who wasn't involved in the majority of what happened in your film. 

If that's true? Marc Summers interview was quite benign. I didn't get any bad vibes about him from this documentary. He wasn't made to look bad IMO, and was a very small part of the documentary. He may not have known any of what was going on. Not hard to believe that at all. But he was working there, and did agree to be interviewed. 

Some absolutely horrific things were done to kids there, and this needs to come out so that laws can be changed to keep this from happening again in the future. We're actually taking about kids being raped here. We're past kid gloves.

On 4/22/2024 at 4:52 PM, swt61 said:

We're past kid gloves.

Totally fair.  Here's where I read his impressions:  https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/nickelodeon-marc-summers-quiet-on-set-interview-lied-1235960541/

I agree he came off looking fine, but to some he might have also come off looking like a guy who will cast aspersions on his former employer over incidents he was not involved in.  That is certainly what served the documentarians best even if it did Marc no favors.  

I'm just saying if I was his publicist I would have said "don't talk to them, it can only hurt you."  Considering the general level of interviewee they had (mostly technical staff interspersed with archival footage) I think a lot of publicists already knew not to let their stars on camera with that crew.

It's a tough double standard, in a way.  A DA has a much easier time prosecuting a crime when people talk to the cops, but any attorney here would surely advise their clients not to ever do that.  It is in our collective societal interest to solve crimes and bring bad actors to light but it is almost never in someone's individual interest to be the one doing it.

Not sure if this belongs here, but last night I watched a movie about Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White:  It Might Get Loud.  

Published in 2009 and made in 2008.  Can't believe I missed this one.  Very much enjoyed hearing about the individuals and getting to see them jam was pretty cool.

Jack White...special.  LOL.

HS

• Like 6

6 hours ago, HemiSam said:

Not sure if this belongs here, but last night I watched a movie about Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White:  It Might Get Loud.  

Published in 2009 and made in 2008.  Can't believe I missed this one.  Very much enjoyed hearing about the individuals and getting to see them jam was pretty cool.

Jack White...special.  LOL.

HS

I still go back and watch this scene from time to time. 

The way Edge immediately gets up and moves to see Jimmy's hands, Giving no Fucks about blocking the camera and the crew. And Jack has to put his guitar down and give that oh so loving look... good stuff. 

I do wish that they just played together more, and just did a lot more of  ^^ this. The movie could work in a much longer format. But this was before the Netflix mini docs.  Thanks for the reminder. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1920px-Andor.svg.png

People told me this was the best Star Wars thing Disney has done. I don't know. I tried. Made it four episodes in before giving up.

There is a magic to the first two movies that nothing else in the franchise has really been able to recapture for me .

This just isn't a sci-fi world I want to spend part in anymore, which does make me sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TMoney said:

People told me this was the best Star Wars thing Disney has done. I don't know. I tried. Made it four episodes in before giving up.

There is a magic to the first two movies that nothing else in the franchise has really been able to recapture for me .

This just isn't a sci-fi world I want to spend part in anymore, which does make me sad.

Completely agree, though I did enjoy and finish Andor.  I think it's likely because it's the "hardest" scifi they have attempted.

Broadly, I have a hard time suspending disbelief watching Star Wars of any kind.  Whole planets speak the same language, or have one notable geographic feature, or support billions of people but merit no more than a throwaway line of dialogue.  I always think "what kind of tax revenue must the Empire be collecting to put together yet another moon-sized gun array" and then wondering how such a thing would be structured.

I appreciated the smaller scale, the care they put into worlds that didn't interact with the properties from the good movies, and the sort of general Kafka-esque bureaucratic capriciousness it gave to the Empire.  My favorite Marvel property was "Jessica Jones" for the same reason.

But yeah, the first two movies were good and nothing else since approaches them.  They are fundamentally kids movies and I'm fundamentally an adult.  I have found new passions and it's a disservice to drag Star Wars along with me.

• Like 4