Tube Amp Recommendation

JimP

OK, getting right to the point:

My experience has primarily been solid state amps to date, but I am itching to get a tube amp into my portfolio. My headphone stable has been whittled down to:

L3000 (my pinnacle...erhh Barry Bonds??!!)

w5000 (sold first pair, then reacquired 2nd...yes assinine behavior but I like the w5000...)

HD650 (initially unimpressed, but really impressed the longer I use them)

RS-1 (my first intro to hi-end headphones, sold off all other Grados including PS-1 and HHF-1, but still attached to RS-1...)

few other phones, but they're secondary

Of course, there isn't a "one-shot" magic solution, but any suggestions on a complimentary tube amp? Right now, I'm leaning towards an Yamamoto HA-02 or a Woo 6 or MAD HD1 or 2. I don't want to go off the deep end with tube amps, just ONE for change of pace. Any input would be appreciated.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Singlepower has to be on your list. I have used them with all but the W5000 and they work well with all of them. They are also about as tube roller friendly as you can get. This makes them suited to pretty much any phone you throw at them.

Down sides are long wait times, unless Mikhail has a demo for sale. Upside is they are IMO worth the wait.

I have not heard another model tube amp I like as much as the models from SP I have used.

However if I was to buy another model it probably be a Zana Duex.(I have not heard this amp, and I am going by what others have posted. So dont consider this a recomendation)

Any idea what kind of budget your going to have?

Singlepower has to be on your list. I have used them with all but the W5000 and they work well with all of them. They are also about as tube roller friendly as you can get. This makes them suited to pretty much any phone you throw at them.

Down sides are long wait times, unless Mikhail has a demo for sale. Upside is they are IMO worth the wait.

I have not heard another model tube amp I like as much as the models from SP I have used.

However if I was to buy another model it probably be a Zana Duex.(I have not heard this amp, and I am going by what others have posted. So dont consider this a recomendation)

Any idea what kind of budget your going to have?

Yes from reading I would also consider Zana Deux.

SP's line up is confusing...any specific model that you recommend?

mpx3 or extreme.

My suggestion would be try and find one used. There are some spectacular deals to be had. Gabe Logan has a great mpx3 he's been trying to sell for what seems like forever.

I've tried the Yamamoto with the L3000 and W5000. It's a good pairing with the W5000 but doesn't seem as suited to the L3000 which imo sounds better out of the DHA3000 anyway.

I do consider the Yamamoto to be quite un-tubelike in the way it portrays music. For me it is very linear and direct. It doesn't miss much nor does it add much either, which is not surprising considering the tubes used are for telephony and it only has a single gain stage.

It loves my new pair of R10 but the tone is a little rolled off on my older pair, which I think are harder to drive.

It is a very versatile amp and hugely better than the Doge 6210 or X-Can2. Unfortunately, it's not as good as the SP Extreme Platinum I have but then that's not surprising since it costs half of that.

Good advice from Grawk on acquiring a SinglePower amp - wait for the one you want to come up for sale. I bought my Extreme Platinum for $1500. A good friend of mine bought a stock Supra for around $1500 I believe.

Moon Audio have a SinglePower page that might be slightly out of date but gives you a rough idea on costs: http://www.moon-audio.com/Singlepower.htm

I'm pretty sure that socrates63 here has an MPX3 and uses W5000s. You could shoot him a PM for more detailed impressions.

I believe Gabe Logan's amp is the same one that I have. It's a great deal if it's still available.

My MPX3 SE originally sold for $2200, and at the time (a little over a year ago), Mikhail said that it was as good as a low end Supra. I've no experience with any other Single Power gear, so I'm just relaying what was told to me.

I love what the MPX3 SE does with my headphones. I'm not using fancy tubes -- Sylvania 6BL7GTA and RCA 6SN7 tubes that I got from Mikhail. I've found that with some of my other amps, they sound particularly good with some headphones and not others. With the MPX3, pretty much everything headphone I have sound great, and in particular, both my RS-1 and W5000 come alive with lush details, soundstage, and impact (especially the RS-1).

While I've no direct experience with it, I'm a fan of the Zana Deux. I love look of Eddie Current amps -- that touch of nostalgia of vintage audio gear. The Moth amps are absolutely beautiful and the ZD has a hint of that look. Yeah, call me vain.

yes the better MPX-3 models are a tube rollers dream. You actually can roll many more tubes into this amp if you have the high voltage option than the extreme. Also, being able to use the 6SN7 in either position is a real blessing. Everyone thinks the 6SN7 has no slam as an ouput tube. Try a Slyvania, Raytheon or GE 12AT7WA (TMBP) with 2 x Raytheon 6SN7GT flat plates.

I have heard it extensively with the L3000, and maybe I was using the 7236 to drive, but it sounded like THE amp for L3000 - almost enough for me to buy the L3000 from Alex. The amp had no trouble driving the L3000 to perfection. I thought it a superb match - maybe it is the peyote talking... or thorazine.

Guest sacd lover

I have had my stock Extreme for about eight months now. This amp is awesome. I get great results regardless of the headphone. In fact, some headphones I dont care for even sound good on the Extreme; example Beyer dt880. The Extreme is fantastic with Senns and the Alessandro MS2.

The Extreme Platinum version and the Zana are top notch amps but you get eveything the other two can give for half the price with the stock Extreme. I personally like the tonality of the SP amps better than the Zana and I still dont fully trust 6c33's. The 6as7's in the Extreme are much less expensive and the tube rolling capabilities are almost limitles with the SP amps.

I would say at the $1000 mark then yes an Extreme is probably the ticket.

I have heard a number of custom extremes and each, even the ones that are 'thought to be the same' sound different. I have never heard a better extreme than Boomana's I have heard two others that while they sound good they are not in the same class as hers.

Earl raises a valid point on the 6c33b I love this tube but there are 2 potential issues to be aware of:

• The tube is a very limited source tube as they were made in two plants so no real tube rolling for the power section]

• the 6c33b is also a military application tube, my concern is the audio market may be getting seconds, I base this on the high reject rate for many dealers (20%) and the set I had in at the meet the left channel was funky and after I replaced all noise is gone]

with those two caveats I still like the Zana better but it is more of a preference thing. Both amps could take a few weeks to months to obtain. If you get a stock extreme then no worries I would not get many options as I have several friends that have optioned out there amps and have had looooooong wait times and had issues with repairs. I would not want to internationally ship an amp for repairs if it can be avoided. Not all non-stock SP amps have had issues but the rate of repair issues seem to go up as you put more stuff in the box and stray from the original design.

[*]