How has your rig changed in 2007? And do you have any future plans?

postjack

Started '07 with an Ayre CX-7e cdp, HD-650, Moth si2A3, RWA Sig 30, K1000 and a pair of Abbys. I think I had the Zana Deux and F1 next, which then moved to a WA5 and I added the ED9's and sent the HD-650 packing. The Abbys went to Vicki and in came the Omega SH, which moved to the CH. The DV-50 was in there after the Ayre, to be replaced by the SD Transporter, replaced by the Wavelength Cosecant. I then sold off everything except the Cosecant and in came my System-Audio Ranger speakers, Berendsen IPA 80 integrated. There was a Apogee Mini Dac, SB3/Nate PS in there as well with an EC/SS for the very short lived bedroom rig. I have an MPX3 coming in, HD-650s back with a Grandenigma replacement cable also on its way. The big question is do I go completely nuts (most probably feel I'm already there) and get the new Stax SR-007mk2/SRM-007tii rig.

Didn't you also have the Wheatfield and a Microzotl at one point or was that 2006? I know you had the HD600s as they're mine now :)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started the year with E5 > PPX3 Slam > Headphile modded K340.

Then I upgraded the PPX3 Slam to an Extreme Platinum with BG output caps.

Ordered Leopardwood Darth Beyers to use as a "fun" phones.

Next I decided to upgrade the source. Had Matt @ SACDMods do his stuff on the E5.

While waiting for Matt to do the modding, JP#'s eXemplar Denon 2900 came up for sale and I bought it. It had a minor problem that required me to send it to eXemplar. While there, I had them add all remaining mods. This beats the modded E5 by quite a bit. The E5 has been moved to my speaker setup.

So now I have: eXemplar Denon 2900 > Extreme Platinum > K340 | Darth Beyers

Okay, this might be scary. My rig hasn't changed so much as grown into rigs.

Sources: sold my Eastern Electric MiniMax for an Exemplar Denon 2900 then picked up a Lector 0.6T for fun. I got two Denon DCP-100s and gave one to Thrice. I had a 4g imod stolen from work, picked up a mint 4g ipod photo from a co-worker for $40 and sent it off to Vinnie, and while it was there, the 5g imods came out, so I got one of those instead for the extra storage, but turned out that Vinnie also modded the other one for free (I didn't even know he did that for a couple months 'til I tried it out), so I have two imods. Got a free nano with a new MacBook Pro after dropping my old MacBook Pro on the driveway one to many times.

Amps: Right at the beginning of the year I sold a Darkvoice 336i and got a loaded SinglePower Extreme Platinum, which later went back to Mikhail for blackgate outs, and then went back again a second time for pre-amp outs and a secondary power supply after I picked up a FirstWatt F1 for my K1000. I picked up a Heed Obelisk integrated in my first nightmare audiogon experience (nice amp, though), and Thrice tweaked my Heed Canamp with blackgates in the power supply. On the portable side, I sold my microamp (might have been the end of 2006), and picked up a LaRocco PRII (8620) and SR-71 with the intention of selling one (yeah, right). I added a LaRocco Diablo after waiting a year, got a Rockhopper mini3, and should have my Pico next week. Gonna have an amp sell-off soon.

Headphones: Bought and sold (didn't like) Proline 2500s, MS1s, Equation Audio RP-22Xs, and Stagg SHP-4500s. Bought and sold two back up stock K340s (have kept headphiled K340s). Sold Darth Beyers. Sold HD580s. Bought and kept: R10s, HD600s, ATH-ESW9, Yuin PK1, and just got the Stax SR-001 MK2 System for Christmas.

Speakers: bought Cain & Cain Abbys and recently added the Cain & Cain Bailey sub

Other stuff: Susnick Audio ics (on loan from tyrion), Luminous Audio Prestige speaker cables, two Cardas power cords, one PS Audio power cord (on "indefinite" load from agile_one), and one freebie Virtual Dynamics power cord.

Egad.

2007 was exploratory. 2008 will be about selling off much of this stuff. The problem is that I like it all.

Sources: VPI SuperScoutmaster, w/ sig arm and Super Platter. This has been the same all year.

Cartridges have gone from, Dynavector 17D2MKII, 17D3, and now use the XX2-MKII.

Phonostages have gone from BAT VK- P10SE, Ayre P-5XE, and now use the Sim Audio LP5.3

CDPs have been the Consonance Droplet 5.0, Sony SCD-1, Modwright 999ES, Sony SCD-1 (again), Marantz SA11-s1, and now use the NAD Master series M5.

Preamps have been BAT VK-31SE, Aesthetix calypso, Musical Fidelity AC3.2, Ayre K-1XE, and now use the Singlepower Transparency (while waiting for my Maestro)

AMPS, Have been the Parasuond JC-1s, Ayre V-1XE, and now use the Krell FPB-650M monos

Speakers have been the Thiel CS7.2s all year and the year before. All the changes made have been to complement them.

Audio Magic Stealth power purifier has been here all year for the digital.

Cables have gone from Audioquest Cheetahs and Panther to Audioquest Skys everywhere.

Speaker cables have been the Audioquest Mont Blancs for the year.

Got a cool new chair this year also.

Right now the system is the best I have had, and one of the best I have heard. I will upgrade my digital and add the outbaord power supply to my phonostage this year (2008) for sure. The only other possible upgrades would be Volcano or Everest speaker cables. But will have to be used and a good deal.

Headphone amps have been SP Squarewave, Squarewave XLR, and now the Transparency. Headphones have been the HD650s

I forgot to add the the crappy sets of Cardas Golden Cross and Cardas Golden Reference I had in the system in between the AQ cables. BLAH!

Sources: VPI SuperScoutmaster, w/ sig arm and Super Platter. This has been the same all year.

Cartridges have gone from, Dynavector 17D2MKII, 17D3, and now use the XX2-MKII.

Phonostages have gone from BAT VK- P10SE, Ayre P-5XE, and now use the Sim Audio LP5.3

CDPs have been the Consonance Droplet 5.0, Sony SCD-1, Modwright 999ES, Sony SCD-1 (again), Marantz SA11-s1, and now use the NAD Master series M5.

Preamps have been BAT VK-31SE, Aesthetix calypso, Musical Fidelity AC3.2, Ayre K-1XE, and now use the Singlepower Transparency (while waiting for my Maestro)

AMPS, Have been the Parasuond JC-1s, Ayre V-1XE, and now use the Krell FPB-650M monos

Speakers have been the Thiel CS7.2s all year and the year before. All the changes made have been to complement them.

Audio Magic Stealth power purifier has been here all year for the digital.

Cables have gone from Audioquest Cheetahs and Panther to Audioquest Skys everywhere.

Speaker cables have been the Audioquest Mont Blancs for the year.

Got a cool new chair this year also.

Right now the system is the best I have had, and one of the best I have heard. I will upgrade my digital and add the outbaord power supply to my phonostage this year (2008) for sure. The only other possible upgrades would be Volcano or Everest speaker cables. But will have to be used and a good deal.

Headphone amps have been SP Squarewave, Squarewave XLR, and now the Transparency. Headphones have been the HD650s

Let's see where to start.

Beginning of year:

GNSC Opus 21 & APL SACD1000 -> SP "The Dragon" -> L3000, K1000, HD650 or Quad 22L's driven by Rotel 1075 amp.

Now:

GNSC Opus 21 & APL SACD1000 & Cambridge Audio 840c -> Modwright SWL9.0 SE -> D-Sonic Magnum 500 -> Selah Audio 3D

There's also been a reciever upgrade: Marantz SR-7001 -> Denon 4308ci

Oh and at least one of those sources is going to be sold soon.

For me, 2007 was more about attitude adjustment and hi-fi education than changing gear. For reference, December 2004 was the beginning of my entry into the hi-fi world.

2007 was the year I finally realized that portable amps don't offer the same performance as desktop amps. Yeah, I know. I'm a little slow and stubborn. Now, I usually only power the ER4S with my portable amps, and don't use portable amps in a stationary setting.

2007 was the year that I truly began appreciating how good DIY amps are. Nugget Audio β22 kicks ass.

2007 was the year I discovered vinyl and how good it sounds. While the convenience of digital is undeniable, in terms of sound quality, digital isn't the end-all, be-all.

Headphones: In addition to my SR325i and K701, I threw a W5000 and K1000 into my collection, and traded my E500 for a pair of triple.fi. The Sony MDR-CD900ST (pretty version of the 7506) rejoined as well.

Amps: Sold both my Gilmore Lite and HeadFive for a Mapletree HD150.

DAC: Went from an Echo Indigo soundcard to some cheap chinese stuff, and then to the DA100.

Source: I'm still stuck with my laptop, and a cheap DVD player...

Plans

This totally depends on what happens next year, and where I'm moving after I graduate. I'm saving up for a Rega Saturn, which I might get in a year or two. Most likely the Pico will replace my amp and DAC, since I like Justin's stuff.

I'm also looking at amps, namely Almarro's A205, Rogue Audio's Cronus and the FirstWatt F1 for the K1K. I'm still at a loss for a preamp for the F1... maybe a GSX. Or maybe more stuff from Rogue Audio. (I really, really like the Cronus.)

I most likely will be pressured from the parents to get speakers (they don't like headphones). At that point, I'll have to start my research on speaker amps, seeing if any of the above can work well with both speakers and the K1K. And the speakers themselves, of course.

Right now, I'm looking at the Pico and getting my K701s recabled. I like the K701s, and can only use the K1K sparingly at the moment.

2006 was a year of experimentation with headphones. In 2007 I decided to be more strict with my spending, making long term changes. I'm hoping 2008/9 will be the time when I can finally settle for a really long-term setup.

In 2007 I got my Zana Deux, sold off my 1st gen EC/SS. I bought and not too long after sold a pair of Darth Beyers, not my cup of tea. I met a really bad influence named EdipisReks who convinced me I needed a better source. That took me from the MF X-Ray V3 to the Resolution Audio Opus 21. I forgive Reks because he was correct. I replaced my Dimarzio IC's with Anti-IC's. And I finally bought some Grado's - MS2i's and most recently new RS1's. I know, not as good as vintage RS1's, but the current pricing scared me away. And so far, the new ones sound damn fine. And at the next meet I can compare them to vintage and see what I'm missing.

There have been many tubes purchased and a lot of music. 2007 was a good year. No immediate plans yet for 2008 other than to avoid Reks as he seems to trigger wallet puking on my end. ;D

In 2007 I got my Zana Deux, sold off my 1st gen EC/SS. I bought and not too long after sold a pair of Darth Beyers, not my cup of tea. I met a really bad influence named EdipisReks who convinced me I needed a better source. That took me from the MF X-Ray V3 to the Resolution Audio Opus 21. I forgive Reks because he was correct. I replaced my Dimarzio IC's with Anti-IC's. And I finally bought some Grado's - MS2i's and most recently new RS1's. I know, not as good as vintage RS1's, but the current pricing scared me away. And so far, the new ones sound damn fine. And at the next meet I can compare them to vintage and see what I'm missing.

There have been many tubes purchased and a lot of music. 2007 was a good year. No immediate plans yet for 2008 other than to avoid Reks as he seems to trigger wallet puking on my end. ;D

yay RS-1s!! :prettyprincess:

main rig

early in the year (still fully headfi)

sauce: entech 203.2, m-audio audiophile 192, and ipod photo & shuffle

amps: LDII+(stock tubes), portaphile v2^2maxxed, LOLMETA, total airhead, microamp/dm, sr71, ldm+

headphones: hd580, k240s, superfi5pro, a bunch of ksc75 and 35s in various modded conditions

by the summer: (diy and nostalgia frenzy, banned from hf)

sauce: entech,addition of vintage pcdps and md players

amps: LDII+(too many tubes to count), portaphile, gilmore lite/dps, supermini IV, beta22, ckkIII,

headphones: a bunch of K501s, hd580/cardas, er4s, ksc35, pk1

by new years: (I am done with sause and headphone selection, just playing around with amps)

sauce: audio alchemy dti2 & dde3, ipod shuffle, entech

amps: VanTOTL(INCOMING), LDII+(Mullard M8161/Sylvania CV131, Russian 4P1L), portaphile, LOLMOY, beta22(injured), ckkIII, millet maxs(injured)

headphones: HD580/cardas, K501/mogami, er4s(lost), ksc35, PK1,

a look into the future:

sauce: replace the DTI v2.0 with a DTI Pro32, a technics sl1200 with dynavector cart and bottlehead seduction

amps:same, but with a VanTOTL from scratch with two parallel output tubes and a case with double the space for when going balanced.

headphones: same

a look into the not so near future:

sauce:get a second set of Audio Alchemy DTI and DDE for balanced operation through dual mono

amps: balanced b22, balanced LDII+ in a big case with giant nos pio caps, balanced VanTOTL with 4 output tubes.

headphones: reterm cardas 580 and mogami K501 to balanced. K1000.

In a word: fuglyphones. More broadly, in October of 2007 my rig more than doubled in cost, after being stable since the spring of 2006. I ordered TakeT H2s/TR2 from Mr. Takei, and when they arrived, had an old power amp of mine (Halfer P125) repaired. Then I ordered some custom XLR -> 1/4" TRS ICs, to go between my source and the amp, and locking banana plugs for for the amp -> TR2 connection. In spite of their many quirks (and occasional refusal to work properly) the Fugs have been a fascinating and informative pair of headphones.

Additionally, bought one pair of dynamics (2003 DT-880s, on the cheap) and a mess of Quail power cords. The 880s have proven to be a good foil to the Fugs (they have a gorgeous midrange, which is the H2's biggest weakness.)

2008 has great uncertainty. I want a full frame digital SLR. Whenever Canon releases the successor to the EOS 5D, I won't be able to even think about spending money on audio. Of course, I do still entertain the option of a dedicated amp to drive the H2s. So far the only choices are a KGBH-SE ($$$$) or some unknown Japanese amp. :o

Holy crap, i can't believe some dudes are going through so many gears in a so short time. Fucking neurotics, it's about the music, don't forget. >:D

Okay, in 2007 i bought the last piece of my puzzle, a pair of Harbeth Monitors 30 and i'm finally back to speakers with a sound that is beyond the usual hifi stuff, absolute "Laboratory Grade Reference Sound" if that make sense. You need to wear brown trousers, like the old David Manley said once.

In 2008, i won't spend a lot in audio, just tweaking with a few Hifi-tuning fuses, trying KR 300B in the preamp, stuff like that...

Oh, and i forget, Happy New Fucking Year you fucking newbies. :prettyprincess:

Fucking neurotics, it's about the music, don't forget. >:D

actually this thread is about the gear. if you'd like to make a topic about how your musical interests changed in 2007, feel free to do so in the subforum entitled "Music". and then maybe you can keep your condescending audio cliches out of my thread.

actually this thread is about the gear. if you'd like to make a topic about how your musical interests changed in 2007, feel free to do so in the subforum entitled "Music". and then maybe you can keep your condescending audio cliches out of my thread.

PSH POSTY FOR THE BUUUUUURN.

Posty you are my honorary brother.

I'll be honest. I already have a great cd player, but bought a Cambridge Audio 840c just because of the FOTY status it has here. I would like to say my Naim sounds much better, and you should all sell your 840's and maybe by the end of this year you will have enough to buy a Naim.

I also bought a Sennheiser HD650 just because it is popular here and scales damn well. Scales mountains maybe... considering how light it is. I think I'd rather be grounded to the earth though, with my speakers.

Same deal with the microamp.....

Actually I bought the microamp because none of you people here have reasonably priced headphone amps and the opinion of headroom here is pretty neutral.

See, I did all this just to fit in, and what do I get? I get you all turning vinyl and beta deuce deuce on me..

I'm tired of this conversation, let's talk about something else. I'm leaving.abeicon.gif