The Headcase pico Lovefest: Post your impressions here

thrice

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice impressions I_D! We'll have to do some Apogee Duet to Pico comparisons at the Mayberry meet. That Duet is getting some seriously overblown lovin' from some quarters. Hard to imagine it is SO good.

Or maybe it's hard to believe that in order to have digital so good it's not necessary to spend thousands of dollars. ;) I have to tell you the Pico is a damn good dac as well in a home system. It may simply be that for me, the sq I get from the $500 on the Duet is good enough for me and doesn't warrant the extra expenditure. This of course translates to more dollars for the analog rig. Are you going to join jp and I at RMAF to audition Teres and Galibier? >:D

I have bids in on 2 picos and a rosetta. I am still tempted by the pico tho. Someone send me a duet and a pico. I'll send it back in a couple weeks. I can send out the cambridge dv89...

I'll send the Duet, if you want. I will happily use my Pico as my source. Plus I have a tt arriving Thursday and hopefully a phono stage a few days later.

I'll send the Duet, if you want. I will happily use my Pico as my source. Plus I have a tt arriving Thursday and hopefully a phono stage a few days later.

That'd rock mike. I'll pm with my address.

You'll have to do needledrops once you have the phonostage :)

Now then, who wants to send me a pico for the head to head?

The Pico really is great and I have been using it as a DAC only in my office this week. I am going from a mini-to-RCA into my Headroom Desktop amp/dac/pre with Home modules. I have done the A-B comparing the USB input directly into the Headroom and using the RCA analog input from the Pico a few times and the Pico wins for sure. The HR dac is good and sounds very nice for an office setup with powered M-Audio BX5-a speakers, but putting the Pico dac in place of the HR dac is an instant improvement. I'm still very impressed by the little bastard, and his creation as well! Just kidding Justin, you're not a bastard at all...unless you don't show for Mayberry! :stick:

And Dan, I will send you a Pico for comparison purposes because I don't have any travel upcoming and there will be others at the meet soon who have them, including Justin unless he is, in fact, a bastard. ;D Send me info and I can send you the goods in the original box.

sorry 2 duets.

Thanks voltron, pm coming.

Duet is ready to go out tomorrow. I included 2 mono 1/4 to RCA female cables you will need. You just connect your RCA to them and you are good to go.

Al, my Pico will be there for sure. Maybe if you promise Justin a couple of those pine tree drinks, he will show up. :)

It's the least I can do for somebody who had their car smashed up and stuff stolen. I hate that shit and remember the last time it happened to me -- years ago -- walking up to the car with a smashed out window and the dash torn up, and having a surreal moment like "I know there's something wrong here, but what is it exactly... ???" Anyway, Pico will be on its way soon for your comparo pleasure.

Shit, if Mike is getting the Duet out to you that fast I better get the Pico out too.

Justin didn't like the pine-tree drinks (aka gin and tonics) so that is not a proper incentive. Perhaps free vodka, room and board, and a trip he can write off will be adequate. Not to mention the outrageously fun collection of people who will be there, plus Mike. :prettyprincess:

Shit, if Mike is getting the Duet out to you that fast I better get the Pico out too.

Justin didn't like the pine-tree drinks (aka gin and tonics) so that is not a proper incentive. Perhaps free vodka, room and board, and a trip he can write off will be adequate. Not to mention the outrageously fun collection of people who will be there, plus Mike. :prettyprincess:

With the last week I had and the 4 weeks or so I'm facing, I will need someone to hook up an iv with some of that free vodka. Either that or some heroin would do the trick.

With the last week I had and the 4 weeks or so I'm facing, I will need someone to hook up an iv with some of that free vodka. Either that or some heroin would do the trick.

I have a friend in your neighborhood who has something that'd do the trick better than vodka or heroin ;)

And 90% chance you'd still be ok 30 minutes later when you were done.

I wish I could join in on the Pico fun with you guys, but it seems like my Pico has been lost/stolen in transit. According to Justin it was shipped December 27, but the tracking info was never updated beyond the initial "Electronic Shipping Info Received", basically saying that USPS is getting ready to receive the package from the shipper.

I have sent Justin an email and hope that he'll be able to help me out. This is a real bummer since it was my Christmas present to myself, the only one I really looked forward to receive. :'(

I wish I could join in on the Pico fun with you guys, but it seems like my Pico has been lost/stolen in transit. According to Justin it was shipped December 27, but the tracking info was never updated beyond the initial "Electronic Shipping Info Received", basically saying that USPS is getting ready to receive the package from the shipper.

I have sent Justin an email and hope that he'll be able to help me out. This is a real bummer since it was my Christmas present to myself, the only one I really looked forward to receive. :'(

I'd guess it's in customs limbo, and you'll get it eventually.

Mine never updated either, I don't think, at least for international shipments, that the number provided is actually a tracking number per se, I think it's more of a delivery confirmation system.

I just got home from work. Guess what, a letter from the Danish customs informing me that the package has arrived. Stupid slow customs...

:horsey: <--- me wacking dead slow customs

We can have customs competitions. My Pico was shipped around 1/8, so the Norwegian customs still have a few more days ... :prettyprincess::popcorn: