The Headcase pico Lovefest: Post your impressions here

thrice

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I recently sent a package to Russia via Express Mail (EMS). It took a week to get there, which was forgivable since it was over the time of new year's. However, then it sat in customs for 12 days! And it still hasn't been delivered. I've never seen EMS take that long.

When did it arrive to Russia? Everyone in Russia has off till January 9th for New Years...

we need more Pico impressions!

It beats the shit out of the soundcard in my Dell laptop :mikey2: at work :)

I have not compared it directly to my Stello DA 100/ Corda Aria at home yet, and my aural memory is comparable to a goldfish, so I won't rate them against each other. But I can say that the pico need not to be ashamed of itself. I listened with DT880 (250) and Stax 2050, and I like the pico very much. And if one takes the size into the equation it is just unbelievable.

Even if I knew it was *small*, I was surprised by how small it was. The small volume knob is rather large compared to the rest.

I really wouldn't mind a Pico / Duet comparison...

I'll get a Pico anyway but may have to get a Duet as well if it's noticeably better. The Mini-Dac is already on ebay.

I really like the Duet and I have to say that the Pico can definitely hang with it. I will have to wait from my Duet to return before I can do a more thorough comparison. I use the Pico everyday in my office and love the dac. I use the amp with my ipod and love it as well. It may be the best audio $500 I've spent, perhaps tied with the Duet. Now we need to get Justin to get busy on the stat amps. :)

I really like the Duet and I have to say that the Pico can definitely hang with it. I will have to wait from my Duet to return before I can do a more thorough comparison. I use the Pico everyday in my office and love the dac. I use the amp with my ipod and love it as well. It may be the best audio $500 I've spent, perhaps tied with the Duet. Now we need to get Justin to get busy on the stat amps. :)

damn you tyrion, everytime i read your impressions on the duet or the pico i want to get one of them. now you talk about them both. i'm leaning towards getting one or the other, because i'm leaning back towards a portable setup since i'm not in my apartment much anymore and i recently got a job in a research laboratory here. got to be either one or the other, so hurry and get those impressions out! (you too grawk!!!!)

damn you tyrion, everytime i read your impressions on the duet or the pico i want to get one of them. now you talk about them both. i'm leaning towards getting one or the other, because i'm leaning back towards a portable setup since i'm not in my apartment much anymore and i recently got a job in a research laboratory here. got to be either one or the other, so hurry and get those impressions out! (you too grawk!!!!)

If you have a mac notebook than the Duet is portable as it's powered from the firewire port. It's portable in the sense that if you were at a Starbucks or wherever you could easily use the Duet, especially if you had a cable made (the one that comes with it is a lot to carry around as it has several different possible connections, only one set you need). However, if you really want something portable, then the Pico is your choice. Even if the sq wasn't the equal of the Duet (I'm not saying it isn't), it sounds excellent and I don't believe you would be disappointed. It will also serve as a truely portable amp for an ipod or other dap, which the Duet can't. In your situation, I would go with the Pico.

yeah i use a macbook, so i was leaning heavily towards the duet. problem is is that while it's portable, it's not quite as portable as the pico is. now, i'm going to wait to see reviews and comparisons before i make any decision at all here, but the pico is looking mightily attractive, especially considering how much it offers in its small form. the one thing that's nice about the duet is that it's powered off of the firewire port, which is nice because then i don't have to carry around an external ac adapter or anything. i got enough room in my messenger bag for either, so that's not really an issue. i guess it all boils down to sound.

Cool, thanks. Looking forward to more impressions in due time.

yeah i use a macbook, so i was leaning heavily towards the duet. problem is is that while it's portable, it's not quite as portable as the pico is. now, i'm going to wait to see reviews and comparisons before i make any decision at all here, but the pico is looking mightily attractive, especially considering how much it offers in its small form. the one thing that's nice about the duet is that it's powered off of the firewire port, which is nice because then i don't have to carry around an external ac adapter or anything. i got enough room in my messenger bag for either, so that's not really an issue. i guess it all boils down to sound.

duet: needle drop, full sized connections, bus powered

pico: tiny, even with the power supply

They both sound great with grados and etys. but if you dn't have a use for the adc, and mostly want portability, the pico wins. The power supply doesn't make anywhere near enough difference compared to the size of the duet.