Apogee Duet Kicks Ass

jp11801

• 3 weeks later...
Cool. I'm thinking of selling my 840c and replacing it with Duet soon, since all 840c does is work as the DAC for my SB3. Also, selling 840c should net me enough money to get Duet and iPod touch or decent used receiver (for living room).

I'll build you a Duet cable in exchange for the 840C. :P;D

I'll build you a Duet cable in exchange for the 840C. :P;D

Only if the Menace comes with the cable. :D

Except the duet can't be a dac for your sb3 :)

You're right, but I won't be using SB3 (at least on my main rig) since I can just have my iMac in the same room, though I'd need to get a fairly long Firewire cable in this setup (iMac > Duet > rest of my rig). In this scenario, SB3 will just get moved to the living room to be used there.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty late to the game, but JP# was kind enough to lend me his Duet for a week and with the exception of some driver issues at the beginning*, color me very impressed, especially with sound stage and overall musicality. Even with all the comments I wasn't expecting this. Can definitely see why it has the rep it does.

I believe the ipod touch or iphone can be use as a remote of you mac.

It can and works very well. Has me actually contemplating selling the Squeezebox.

* even bringing down the whole OS which is rare in OS X.

Can you please compare it with Pico ? both as DAC only and DAC/Amp combo?

I just bought a used Pico from akwok :)

I know there are comparison already but wouldn't it be nice to have more opinion??

Definitely. I have my suspicions on both states from yesterdays trial, but I need to give it more A/B time (and more phones with amp). Trouble is with work I may not make it home for a week, but will squeeze in when I can.

the HD650s aren't veiled.

I'm far from a headphone expert, but I'm inclined to agree 100%. I've no trouble hearing the treble, and it is clear as a bell. The headphones are not slanted towards the high end. To my ears, they sound quite neutral in presentation. The fact that they play deep does not, to me, make them bass-heavy or 'basshead' phones, etc.

Maybe its just my source, but they seem extremely well balanced to me. The Grado 225's I used to own sounded lacking in the bass, and sounded less neutral, with an uneven midrange/high end emphasis. The fundamental tone of them sounded flawed compared to the HD650s.

I'm confident that there are better headphones out there, and maybe someday I'll own them. But I could probably live with the HD650s as my only headphone if pressed.