Fluke 179?

GPH

Anyone's got experience with this multimeter? I'm getting into DIY and I have the possibility to acquire a used unit in mint condition for 135$. From what I've read, Fluke dmm are generally a safe bet, but I was wondering if anyone had some feedback to give about this particular model.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone's got experience with this multimeter? I'm getting into DIY and I have the possibility to acquire a used unit in mint condition for 135$. From what I've read, Fluke dmm are generally a safe bet, but I was wondering if anyone had some feedback to give about this particular model.

Probably a nice meter but you could also probably live with a lot less. If you're one of those people (like me) who generally buys good tools because you know you'll use them for a long time, buy it. Otherwise for a third of that budget you can get something that will handle most of what you would need for DIY and everything you'd need unless you get really hardcore.

Well, I'm doing a degree in electrical enginerring so I guess it could be useful once I graduate. We already have a shitload of measurement tools at school so the Fluke will be more for my personal usage, but like you said, I think it's a good long-term investment.

Who's the dude that is a metrologist over on head-fi? I thought he said to stay away from the Fluke 17x series and go for the 18x series instead... dammit, can't remember his name (handle). bigcat39 is the one.

But, $135 isn't a bad price I wouldn't think (haven't priced them lately though).

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll go for it. The 170 series is supposed to be slower taking AC measures and is quite a bit less precise than the 180 to match resistors, but it costs 200$ less.

Also, this is a local deal, so no shipping and possible Canadian customs fees. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the 179 specifically, but I have a 189 and absolutely love it. Would've probably gotten the 187, since I don't use the logging, but I found a good deal on a used 189 before I could find one on a 187.

One thing I will suggest is getting a decent set of test leads, you wouldn't believe how much they can come in handy. I have ones that'll clip onto component leads so you can easily adjust trimpots and such, tips with a plastic guard that'll safely measure one pin on a DIP IC (like an opamp) without sliding off and shorting against the adjacent ones, ones with long sheathed extensions to measure in tight spots, etc. I really don't know how I got by with just regular test leads before.

I'd probably rather use a more basic meter with good leads than a fancy meter with only standard leads, but maybe I'm just weird.

• 1 year later...

I'd probably rather use a more basic meter with good leads than a fancy meter with only standard leads, but maybe I'm just weird.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've decided that I need a better DMM that the little battery powered unit that I keep on my motorcycle. Fitz's line above describes exactly what I'd like, a basic meter with good leads. Would knowledgeable people please recommend such a DMM?

Thanks.

what features do you need? You can just buy nice probes and using your existing meter, just as another option. In fact, I think Fitz posted a link somewhere for the probes he really likes.

I like the BK Precision meters. Here's a list, with MSRP:

Handheld Digital Multimeters - Multimeters - B&K Precision

Depending on the features you need, I think you'll find something that will work for you there.

Thanks. I'm sure one or more of these would work fine. Please tell me what features I need. My work contract is ending and I'll have some time for DIY play time. Here's a minimum of what I need:

1. Changeable leads

2. Volt meter

3. Amp meter

4. Ohm meter

5. Continuity tester.

Considering I hope to eventually progress to doing tube amps, please suggest other features that I might need. I'd like to keep the cost under $100 for meter and leads, but I'm kind of like Vicky. :P

Considering I hope to eventually progress to doing tube amps, please suggest other features that I might need.

Probably a "transistor tester", which measures hfe as well as a temperature probe would be the only other things I could think of. Looks like the meter I have, the BK2706A is now discontinued and replaced with a version with less features.

If I was going to buy something, I'd consider taking a chance on this one:

VC99 3 36/7 Auto range DMM analog bar better FLUKE17B - eBay (item 170388685166 end time Oct-29-09 08:12:04 PDT)

but perhaps there are some better recommendations out there...