Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

my big problem is I have more than the 25,000 maximum, which meant I had to remove enough songs to get down to that point. Then it still doesn't sync with any kind of reliability, so it's just frustrating. I'd go with the amazon cloud player (and still might)

I only have about 19,000 songs in my library and iTunes match sync has been working just fine for the past year.  If I ripped all of my CD's I could likely double that number.  

But I don't use it on my iDevices, and still prefer to sync only what I want to carry with me when mobile.  iTunes match on the iPhone or iPad would use a lot of 3G bandwidth, and you can't manage removing individual songs in iOS 6 anymore.  So the more you stream the more space is used up on your iDevice by temporary downloads.  Some people have complained that iOS doesn't always remove the temp buffer songs to make room for long 1080p videos via camera, or large app updates.

On the other hand it's been great with my 2nd and 3rd Gen Apple TV's where all my ripped music is in the cloud.  With Match I don't have to leave a Mac running 24/7 with iTunes open just in case I want to listen to my ripped music at any particular time via my stereo or theater system.

I also keep a separate iTunes library on my Macbook that has nothing in it, but iTunes match is turned on so I can access any of my music as long as I have an internet connection, without sucking up valuable space on my SSD.  My regular iTunes library for portable use on my Macbook is only about 1/6 the size of my full library.  I treat it like a large iPod and only keep some of my library on it at any one time.  iTunes match makes all my ripped music available, not just my purchases that iTunes 11 now gives us access to without Match.

Just got an e-mail from Amazon about their AutoRip thing and noticed that there were few albums that I didn't know I owned.

I check my cloud player, and saw

"AutoRip update: due to high demand, we are experiencing delays. We will email you when we have added your music."

Edit - Weird, right after I checked Amazon Cloud player and posted here the error message, they added 402 new songs to my cloud player, from 37 albums.  But I'm still missing some, like Pink Floyd The Wall, etc...

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed yesterday that my wife's iPhone 4S's wifi isn't working - the wifi wouldn't connect and then wifi button became greyed out after a network reset (and we've no idea how long this has been going on).  Did all the usual things (soft reset, network reset, hard reset, restore, etc.) to no avail.  Predictably, the warranty expired late last month. :palm:

Just noticed yesterday that my wife's iPhone 4S's wifi isn't working - the wifi wouldn't connect and then wifi button became greyed out after a network reset (and we've no idea how long this has been going on).  Did all the usual things (soft reset, network reset, hard reset, restore, etc.) to no avail.  Predictably, the warranty expired late last month. :palm:

...and predictably, the goddamn wifi on the phone is mysteriously working again, after we had gotten her a new iPhone over the weekend. :palm:

We'll see how long this is remain "fixed," but until it stops working again, at least I'll get to have a faster iPhone.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else having problems with Google Map on iPhone? In the past coulpe of weeks, it started randomly rerouting directions when there was no need and has not been able to consistently find correct exists on highways. This is happening on both my wife's 5 and my 4.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

So being tired and an idiot, I left my iPhone 5 in a cab in Boston after arriving around 11pm. Remembered Find My iPhone (though wasn't sure if I even had it activated), so logged in to iCloud with my Mac. Bingo. Tracked cab moving back to airport and sent a 'lost sound' and then put the phone in 'lost mode' (with message of hotel, phone and reward). Shortly thereafter the phone went dark/offline. Probably an existential question, but how long do I wait before giving up on humanity and using the last Find My iPhone option - frying the phone?  

So being tired and an idiot, I left my iPhone 5 in a cab in Boston after arriving around 11pm. Remembered Find My iPhone (though wasn't sure if I even had it activated), so logged in to iCloud with my Mac. Bingo. Tracked cab moving back to airport and sent a 'lost sound' and then put the phone in 'lost mode' (with message of hotel, phone and reward). Shortly thereafter the phone went dark/offline. Probably an existential question, but how long do I wait before giving up on humanity and using the last Find My iPhone option - frying the phone?  

I don't think there is a good answer to that question.

If the iPhone had a full battery and and went dark shortly after the alert and lost phone message, then I think somebody decided to keep it for themselves.  Did you call the cab company ASAP while it was still moving back to the airport, to make sure they knew that you knew the cab driver still had it.

I don't know how long it will take someone to hack your lock password, but if you have data in the phone that others shouldn't see (email accounts or passwords to social media) then now is probably a good time to remote wipe it.  Unfortunately that means your message with the hotel and phone number will go away, and you can't track it any more.  At least with iOS 6 they can't access your new iMessages after they restore the phone themselves like iOS 5 allowed.

With the luck I have, the person with my phone would debate with themselves for a couple of hours, and then go to the phone to get my number, and find that I'd already wiped it, so they'd get to keep it because I got scared (the old "report the lost credit card only to find the wallet 3 minutes later" routine).

Yeah unfortunately I just jumped in the cab line at the airport and the receipt was generic without a name or number. Hotel nicely said they were going to check cameras for a door name/number as I realized about two minutes from closing cab door while standing at front desk, but they seemed to get bored with follow through. Yeah I suspect its a goner. Will see if guilt sets in tomorrow and then wipe after if not. At least setup Photo stream on Mac to grab photos of daughter.

True and hopefully, or it may have been picked up by quick, next passengers on way to airport and now in Romania. 

Either way was sad to watch drift away. If only I was an Olympic swimmer. 

lostphone.gif

Edited by blessingx

Wait, what am I looking at?  Is the dotted line the phone's route history?  Looks like it stayed in the cab for a long time, and if so the GPS coulda worn it out.  But yeah, I understand the fry your phone option, I think it might be time.

PS  The phone company has access to some of this information and some you don't -- you could at least ask them if anyone tried to do anything with it after you last used it.

There's a dotted line? Appreciate the help, but on calm reasoning, assume the American traitor (okay, I'm stretching) probably just tied to log in ten times or whatever and the phone was fried already. Just to be sure I just fried. Also completely unrelated to watching Les Misérables on the plane yesterday, or any free conference alcohol I've consumed over and over tonight, here is my farewell to the iPhone 5...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsS1MS3EqyM