Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

For me the giant phone craze is because I primarily use my phone for web browsing. That's been my primary use since I bought the original iPhone. It still blows my mind I can carry the world wide web around in my pocket. I'm not a big app guy, not a big gamer, not a big talker. I just like browsing the web. Thus my Note II.

And reading books, which I found impossible to do on the smaller iPhone screen. I know some people are fine reading on it, but it hurt my eyes and head.

I think Brent is correct on his analysis of current smartphone development. The past several years have seen innovation in leaps and bounds, mostly now the changes are smaller.

The good news is there are a ton of quality choices out there for smartphone geeks.

This.

I'd prefer iOS, but prefer a bigger screen over iOS , if forced to choose. Plus as I've gotten deeper into my 40's, the bigger screen really helps my old man eyes.

For me the giant phone craze is because I primarily use my phone for web browsing. That's been my primary use since I bought the original iPhone. It still blows my mind I can carry the world wide web around in my pocket. I'm not a big app guy, not a big gamer, not a big talker. I just like browsing the web. Thus my Note II.

And reading books, which I found impossible to do on the smaller iPhone screen. I know some people are fine reading on it, but it hurt my eyes and head.

I think Brent is correct on his analysis of current smartphone development. The past several years have seen innovation in leaps and bounds, mostly now the changes are smaller.

The good news is there are a ton of quality choices out there for smartphone geeks.

(My last post seems to have vanished. Sorry if this is a double.)

This.

I'd prefer iOS, but forced to choose between iOS and a bigger screen, I'd take the bigger screen. Plus, as I've gotten deeper into my 40's the bigger screen really helps my old man eyes.

Big screens for eyes. Small screens for hands. 

Quick question - does anyone else think the differences (OS and app UIs) is actually greater now between iOS and Android than say OS X and Windows? Having both Android and iOS phones and tablets, I'm surprised people jump across the aisle as often as they do. It's like when a slick Sony ultralight or solid as stone Lenovo T-series comes out - you boot it up and it's.... still Windows.* Maybe I feel Android is a larger UI disaster than many (and a phone UI more important), but surely you start to like one mobile OS over the other, no? What hardware spec beats that? 

* or Linux... and there are certainly those that prefer (or have to use) one of the three OSs to the other. Same question. 

At its core, I don't think they're that different.  I think what makes them seem so different are the apps that one uses the most.  That said, I haven't used iOS in a few years.  The difference between linux (Ubuntu) and Windows, on the other hand, remains large.  I really like linux's ability to update everything through a common interface, whereas Windows' will only update Microsoft products.

I think everything else is a case of familiarity.

Maybe, but most non-OS supplied core apps are available on both platforms now, no? And their differences likely because of OS integration (assuming same resources dedicated). The OS supplied cores (often with Google or Apple ID) would be an even greater reason to not change. 

Edited by blessingx

I actually find IOS harder to work with than Android, generally speaking.  Neither is perfect, or perfectly clear for that matter but I also don't struggle switching between my iPad and GSIII. 

I'm not heavy into 3rd party apps so both platforms provide an adequate experience for what I need so having millions upon millions of choices for IOS is of no practical or actual value to me.  I've never looked at my phone and said, "Damn, I wish you could do X" and not found something workable in the Android market. 

This.

I'd prefer iOS, but prefer a bigger screen over iOS , if forced to choose. Plus as I've gotten deeper into my 40's, the bigger screen really helps my old man eyes.

Same here, I'm 43 and have big hands, so my preference is definitely for a bigger screen as I mentioned. I also understand that if someone has small hands and young eyes, the current size probably satisfies. That being said, a 1/2" extra would take care of it for me (not just stretched more but wider also). I don't think it’s just a choice between a monster screens or tiny. There's a happy in between. 

Maybe, but most non-OS supplied core apps are available on both platforms now, no? And their differences likely because of OS integration (assuming same resources dedicated). The OS supplied cores (often with Google or Apple ID) would be an even greater reason to not change. 

iPhone is still king for games

Android was a huge cluster fuck when connected to our in house created mail and calendar system. So the main reason we shifted was to get a phone that actually worked with our email and calendar. However, almost every aspect of the IOS/iPhone ecosystem has worked better and/or faster than on any of the Android devices. Never going back to Android unless something truly spectacularly stupid happens with Apple.

So the plan was to update to the 5c to get LTE. Also will switch back to Verizon from Sprint since Sprint has no LTE anywhere close to Charleston. However, that may change as the more I learn about the camera system on the 5s, the more I think that it more than makes up for the price difference.

Big screens for eyes. Small screens for hands. 

Quick question - does anyone else think the differences (OS and app UIs) is actually greater now between iOS and Android than say OS X and Windows? Having both Android and iOS phones and tablets, I'm surprised people jump across the aisle as often as they do. It's like when a slick Sony ultralight or solid as stone Lenovo T-series comes out - you boot it up and it's.... still Windows.* Maybe I feel Android is a larger UI disaster than many (and a phone UI more important), but surely you start to like one mobile OS over the other, no? What hardware spec beats that? 

* or Linux... and there are certainly those that prefer (or have to use) one of the three OSs to the other. Same question. 

That's why I'll probably get the 5S. My 4 is getting too slow. I was hoping for something more exciting than a fingerprint unlock and an extra 1/4" longer screen, but a solid OS is critical when it comes to phones. 

Just wanted to weigh in on a non-apple product... I bought a HTC One about 4 months ago and it's been one of the best investments I've ever made. Just one of the most rock solid pieces of technology I've laid my hands on. My last android phone (Motorola Atrix) freezed up nearly everyday whereas this one maybe twice since I bought it. Screen was a little bit too big coming from 3", but I got used to it quickly and can't imagine going back now. Additionally, this thing boots in under 10 seconds and the sound quality is way above average for a phone. HTC hit an absolute homerun with this thing and I suspect in long run it's going to be looked at as one of the best products that came this decade. Absolutely get one if you have the chance unless you're absolutey set on an Iphone (which there is nothing wrong with).

I don't usually rave about stupid things like phones, but this phone might be the one exception. 

Edit: Sorry, the Atrix actually has a 4" screen, but held side by side the difference seems bigger

That's why I'll probably get the 5S. My 4 is getting too slow. I was hoping for something more exciting than a fingerprint unlock and an extra 1/4" longer screen, but a solid OS is critical when it comes to phones.

how about a processor that's an order of magnitude faster and a great camera? I think there's only so far you can go with cellphones

Dude, I support this shit as part of my living.  Every stupid Android phone that gets brought in by some stupid student has radically different system settings, and sticks the shit in different, and mostly non-sensical, places.  Half of them won't connect to our WPA-2 Enterprise network, and the official advice from the NOC is "get a different phone."  So fuck off and die.

You may, may have been just a bit harsh, Jacob.