Favorite Places you like to eat in your area and why

riceboy

Riceboy,

Great thread. I love to eat in your neighborhood rather than mine.

I am going to Roy's Restaurant for dinner tonight, the service is always good and friendly. And the food is usually very good.

I can't wait to go back to Hawaii this summer, Breakfast, Lunch & Crab for the beef stew omlette, yummy. Leonard's Malasadas, Zippys, Rainbow Drive inn, the list goes on and on...

Aloha

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louisville is a cultural wasteland, but there's some good food here.

Impellizeri's pizza.

1) My father was the dude's first customer.

2) Great variety of toppings.

3) Greasy, but not too greasy.

4) 6 plasma TVs.

5) They offer a 12-pound superpizza.

6) SO TASTY.

7) Friendly workers.

8) Decent music selection. "Child In Time" can be heard often.

India Palace.

1) Indian food is tasty and healthy.

2) They actually have curry that's hot enough for me.

3) Endearing typos in the menu.

4) Beautiful Indian waitresses.

5) 5 minute walk!

6) Ali Akbar Khan!

Graeter's. Anyone in the Cincinnati area should have this, too. Premium ice cream, awesome chocolate malts.

Qdoba. If I'm going to have fast food, I might as well get a gigantic burrito.

Bombay Grill. I think this is the only south Indian restaurant in the city, and the food is to die for.

Shalimar, Tumbleweed, Cheesecake Factory, Bourbon Barrel, blagh blagh. I go on long bike rides, so I know a lot of places.

"Murphy's" in Atlanta (virginia highlands) for breakfist. One of the best chorizos i have had and everything on the breakfist menu is killer. They have a bar there thatmakes killer bloody marys. Probably eat there 15-20 times a year. Southwest Frittata is to die for.

Phoenix Noodle or Vallartas for lunch. Both within 10 minutes of the house and great food. PN is a Vietnamese place with everything good and great prices. Vallartas is a hole in the wall Mexican place, all fresh made and home cooked. They start by bringing you Mexican chick soup and end with cheesecake. The absolute best chips, sauce and refried beens. Huge portions and my wife and always get out of there for under $20 including tip. Plus that includes margaritas that they refill for free until you leave. Always packed and nice family atmasphere.

Di Paolo...Best for last. One of the best in the ATL. area. Northern Italian. Killer menus that changes with the seasons and depending whats fresh. No matter how they do the Samon it is better than any I've had through out the country. My two favorites are the pan baked Samon on a bed of asparagus risotto, or the pan baked samon on a bed of shrimp rissoto. think I will call see if they have an reservation tonight!! ;D

A breakfast chorizo sounds so good right now.

We got a lot of Vietnamese Pho places here and I love pho. But, there aren't many good Mexican places in Hawaii. But, when I was in Northern Cal they had great Mexican places. I still miss them. The place you mentioned sounds good. If it was here then I would go there for sure.

I really don't know the difference between Northern or Southern Italian, but the salmon sounds good and shrimp rissoto sounds excellent. Getting hungry now.

Now going to Chili's to eat a burger for lunch doesn't sound nearly as good :(. So this burger cook off challenge on the Food network so it made me hungry for a burger, but now...

Oh, favorite breakfast in the dc area: Austin Grill. I love texas breakfasts

Agree. Their mole enchilada is also awesome.

For the Honolulu, HI (island of Oahu) area, here are a few of our faves...

Breakfast: Haleiwa Cafe, in Haleiwa, North Shore.

Lunch: Cha Cha Cha Salsaria in Hawaii Kai. Terrific Jerk Chicken Taco's

Dinner: depends on mood. Phuket Thai in Mililani (my favorite style of food); Sorento's in the Ilikai Hotel (Waikiki) or Azul's at Ko Olina for classy dining with wonderful ambiance; Jamison's in Haleiwa for dinner on the lanai during sunsets.

This thread is making me hungry. :popcorn:

Well, you probably don't know them ;) but here we go..

Cafe Sjiek: small restaurant with a simple and honest menu. It's good. Steak tartare is one of my favorites or whatever kind of fish they have on their card.

People working there are very nice, ambience is really great and natural. Great to hang out their on saturday night, first eating and after that just stay, drink some more wine and have fun with my bf and the peeps who work there.

Mediterraneo: best Italian restaurant in Maastricht. It's just that its price makes you not go there every week :D Italian not like pizza's and pastas but really GOOD stuff. Lamb is absolutely awesome there and so are the carpaccios with truffle / tartufo (whatever you call it there).

Toine Hermsen: best restaurant in Maastricht, period. They have a classic french citchen and they do a wonderful job. All the tastes are so refined and match so perfectly, an amazing experience dining there. Again unfortunately too expensive to hang out there too often but that makes it all the more special when you go there.

At school:

Skylark's Diner - Just good, cheap, well cooked diner food.

Kennedy's Fried Chicken - I know its probably horrible but the beef patty sandwich is so damn good.

California Grill - 60 flavors of wings!

At home:

Jackson Hole - Everything on the menu is tasty. But the burgers are so damn huge and yummy.

Uncle Jack's - Its an extremely expensive steak house but every time I go, its totally worth it.

and a whole bunch of korean places :)

Agree. Their mole enchilada is also awesome.

For the Honolulu, HI (island of Oahu) area, here are a few of our faves...

Breakfast: Haleiwa Cafe, in Haleiwa, North Shore.

Lunch: Cha Cha Cha Salsaria in Hawaii Kai. Terrific Jerk Chicken Taco's

Dinner: depends on mood. Phuket Thai in Mililani (my favorite style of food); Sorento's in the Ilikai Hotel (Waikiki) or Azul's at Ko Olina for classy dining with wonderful ambiance; Jamison's in Haleiwa for dinner on the lanai during sunsets.

This thread is making me hungry. :popcorn:

Wow, I really gotta try some of those places. I only ate at Sorento's in the Ilikai hotel (great view), and Phuket Thai. Both are excellent.

I went with my wife to Sorento's on V-day once. I remembered it since getting from Downtown to Waikiki took about 1.5 hours believe it or not. Then we had to wait another hour to get seated with reservations. The food was great, but probably not the 2.5 hours of hassle ;). It was a set menu that night as well.

I have passed Jamison's a bunch, but never ate there. I bet the sunset's on the North Shore at Jamison would be a nice touch.

I work in downtown Honolulu, and for those not familiar with downtown Honolulu, it has a lot of places to eat. I was wondering what places you folks like to eat...

Sushi Kahuna in downtown Honolulu. I like that place since it is authentic Japanese. I love to eat Spicy Ahi, Spicy Salmon, or something called Chirashi. The Chirashi has fresh salmon, ahi, hamachi, tamago, and fresh crab over rice. The crab has the same flavor as a California roll. The rice is also top notch quality.

Bro,

When in Honolulu it's Ono Hawaiian Foods for a pile of Portagee, Kailua pig and poi, then up to the KC drive-in for an Ono-ono shake. For a snack it's Spam musubi and mac salad from the trucks. Did I mention the azuki bean shaved ice?

For sush it's Sasabune ,omakase all the way.

I work in downtown Oakland, sushi/dim-sum/pho/bbq/kim chee/raman/gumbo are all within a 5-10 minute walk. Like JP said, too many to list. Dinner-wise like lunch it's depends on what you want, great latin food go to Fruitvale, Afgan-Fremont, Russian-SF, Italian-North Beach. But for sushi it's always Hanazen in Orinda.

Not a local place but the most memorable fish and chips I had (possibly the best) was in Western Australia, in Fremantle.

Boy, Freo (as it is affectionately known to locals) is a great place as far as seafood and beer goes.

Cicerellos have been making fish and chips for over 100 years and it shows.

DSCF2061.JPG

Just down the road from Cicerellos is the Little Creatures Brewery. Their Original Amber Ale is one of my favourite bottled beers and is even better from the tap. The beer is brewed and bottled there and there is also a bar and restaurant area the atmosphere is very dance club like, and when we were there it was packed and it was a weekday!

DSCF2099.JPG

The result of money well spent at the Little Creatures Brewery :)

DSCF2095.JPG

I do notice that every time I leave the NJ area - or US east coast in general, with the exception of NYC and Atlantic City, I am always amazed at how good the food is. I think that's more due to the food here being god-awful rather than the food everywhere else being amazing. There are a few decent to OK restaurants such as Jo-Sho (sushi) and Bluewater Seafood Company (continental US) but mostly it's mediocre japanese/thai/indian and horrible chinese places which I don't really care to mention. If I want good food I have to head up to NYC or Atlantic City. I do love good steak - Morton's in AC or Sparks/Peter Luger in NYC kick ass, but are very expensive. Nobu is an amazing restaurant as well, though I haven't been there in ages. Maybe it's changed. Very expensive as well.

The best restaurant I've ever been to was a small Russian cafe in San Diego, owned by a Russian immigrant but with an Irish chef ???. This isn't "Russian Restaurant" in the east coast sense but a perfectly normal, moderately priced little bistro which served the best food I've ever had by miles. Every bite of just about every dish had an ever-changing bouquet of aftertastes like a fine wine. I don't fancy Russian food much, having grown up with it, but this was from another planet.

I think the best solution around here, if you want good food on a regular basis, is to become a good chef yourself. Haven't gotten around to that though.

For consistently great Indian food, I've found that Queens, NY always has the best stuff. You can pretty much walk into any restaurant in "Little India" and be guaranteed good food. Also the only place in the country where I've had exceptional South Indian food.

My favorite restaurant near my parents is Hermanos. Very good Mexican food, great service and they sometimes have a live fusion band playing at the bar.

My favorite Indian restaurant in the MD area is Udupi's. Damn they are so good.

Here in Chapel Hill, we haven't found a good Indian place yet. Sutton's on Franklin Street is great for a Burger and 411 West is a great little Italian joint.

For consistently great Indian food, I've found that Queens, NY always has the best stuff. You can pretty much walk into any restaurant in "Little India" and be guaranteed good food. Also the only place in the country where I've had exceptional South Indian food.

My favorite restaurant near my parents is Hermanos. Very good Mexican food, great service and they sometimes have a live fusion band playing at the bar.

Know any names of the restaurants in Queens?

I'm a big fan of Taiwanese food, so there's really only 2 restaurants worth going to in Queens. =[

Hu-Dat restaurant.

It's fantastic Vietnamese and Chinese food. My favorite dish is the Bun Chi Gio.

It's owned by Dat Nugen's (Dallas Cowboys) parents.

HAHA that's such an awesome name. Viets around here aren't westernised enough yet to think of clever english pins.

B

Know any names of the restaurants in Queens?

I'm a big fan of Taiwanese food, so there's really only 2 restaurants worth going to in Queens. =[

Sorry man I don't (I'm terrible with that kind of stuff). I usually go with my parents or when I was living in Manhattan, which was a while ago. Any of the restaurants in Jackson Heights are usually pretty good and cheap.

Sublime in Ft. Lauderdale.

http://www.sublimeveg.com/home.html

It's rare to find any kind of strict veg restaurant anywhere, but then most are hippy-dippy, and not very good. Sublime is a really nice restaurant that I've never had problems taking my non-veg friends to, and I can actually order everything on the menu, including the desserts. Plus, it's chef-driven (if that's a word), meaning the menu changes all the time. A couple guys at CanJam had some take out, but it was already a bit cold when I got back, and not the same thing. Other than some local ethnic restaurants (Sublime is about a 45 minutes away from me), it's my favorite restaurant.

Sublime in Ft. Lauderdale.

http://www.sublimeveg.com/home.html

It's rare to find any kind of strict veg restaurant anywhere, but then most are hippy-dippy, and not very good. Sublime is a really nice restaurant that I've never had problems taking my non-veg friends to, and I can actually order everything on the menu, including the desserts. Plus, it's chef-driven (if that's a word), meaning the menu changes all the time. A couple guys at CanJam had some take out, but it was already a bit cold when I got back, and not the same thing. Other than some local ethnic restaurants (Sublime is about a 45 minutes away from me), it's my favorite restaurant.

I don't know if there is a chain in the US, but my favorite Indian vegetarian restaurants are Govindas. Run by the Hare Krishna groups, wonderful food and people.

I don't know if there is a chain in the US, but my favorite Indian vegetarian restaurants are Govindas. Run by the Hare Krishna groups, wonderful food and people.

I'm not aware of any around here, but maybe in some of the larger cities. Back a million years ago, when I was doing my dirty street girl and squatting thing in NY, the Hare Krishnas used to feed us in the park twice a week. The food was surprisingly good considering they basically brought huge pots of cheap rice and whatnot.