Allergies :(

Smeggy

I've never been allergic to anything my whole life, been woodworking on and off for decades and now it seems I've become allergic to certain woods! ::)

I've been getting little tender bumps on my fingertips for a few weeks and now after a couple of days going at it my whole hands and parts of my arms are now filled with a rash that's both very sore and itches like a fucker. I don't know which wood(s) might be causing it but it's really depressing. I ordered some barrier cream, got some work gloves and am taking Zyrtec and rubbing cortizone cream to get the itching down. I don't know why it's only affecting my hands as there's dust and chippings everywhere when I'm working.

Anyone else have anything like this?

I assume you are using a filter mask correct? Also I would recommend when you finish with the wood, change your clothes immediately and take a shower. If you are in fact allergic to some particular wood species you want to get as far away from it as possible once you are done cutting and sanding.

None of the woods I've worked with have caused any type of reaction. Sorry to hear it... Hopefully it's just an unfortunate coincidence and you'll be able to continue working with anything and everything. I worked with some nice mopani today, and no rash!

Yeah, bit of a bummer but I'll live. I've never come across this before so it's a bit of a surprise I can tell you. Anyway, I'll just have to make sure I'm covered up while working. I don't like wearing gloves when I'm playing but I guess I'll have to make accommodations from now on. If I can figure out what wood is doing it that'd be good. Goggles, mask, gloves and now probably a one-piece romper suit and I will end up looking like that dumb picture above ;D

That sucks to hear Smeggy. The first band I played in starting when I was in junior high had a really good guitarist who wound up being allergic to guitar strings... he would develop a rash much like what you are describing. He could avoid it by wiping the strings down with rubbing alcohol (can't remember how often he needed to do that, once a set or maybe once a night was enough).

Don't think you can wipe the wood down like that though... hopefully you can figure out if it is a particular wood.

I love the smell of freshly sanded cocobolo in the morning. :)

I've worked with cocobolo in the past with no problems. Right now I have Rosewood, walnut, paduak, madrona, maple and bloodwood. No telling which one is a problem or if all are.

I'm taking Zyrtek at the mo' as benedryl makes me sleepy and I'm also using some cortisone cream, still...wont....stop...itching.... :(

I have allergies, and I have allergies pretty bad, but I've never had anything like this. My condolences.

I would almost go so far as to say that that doesn't sound like a typical allergic reaction. Next time it happens, take pictures, and bring them with you to an allergist (or at least your general practitioner). It does sound like a reaction of some sort, just not necessarily an allergic reaction.

(I got corrected on this about something similar by my allergist, recently.)

I have allergies, and I have allergies pretty bad, but I've never had anything like this. My condolences.

I would almost go so far as to say that that doesn't sound like a typical allergic reaction. Next time it happens, take pictures, and bring them with you to an allergist (or at least your general practitioner). It does sound like a reaction of some sort, just not necessarily an allergic reaction.

(I got corrected on this about something similar by my allergist, recently.)

It's a pretty strong reaction to something, and it's very tender so It may not be a strict allergy as you say. I've never had any allergies before and at 49 I think it's a bit late to be developing them now. It's been minor for a few weeks and then just exploded on me Friday night and Saturday. Damn thing has been waking me up at night itching.

• 1 month later...

I blieve when I did some research last year I found that Bloodwood and Purple Heart can be very toxic. It sounds like you are having a very severe allergic reaction, be careful because the next stage in swelling may very well lead to swelling of the airways and that can mean a new avatar for you. Very bad, don't waste time with an Internist go straight to an allergist. The allergist can perform a skin or Rast test and determine the source, it may save you a trip to the ER.

We have a lot of allergies in our family and we have found that people's sensitivities to allergic sources can change quite a bit as they grow older. So do not assume that since you did not have a sesitivity to some woods or chemical compounds when you were younger that you do not have them now. Good luck.

That sucks to hear Smeggy. The first band I played in starting when I was in junior high had a really good guitarist who wound up being allergic to guitar strings... he would develop a rash much like what you are describing. He could avoid it by wiping the strings down with rubbing alcohol (can't remember how often he needed to do that, once a set or maybe once a night was enough).

Don't think you can wipe the wood down like that though... hopefully you can figure out if it is a particular wood.

probably a nickel allergy, as I have the same issue. Very common these days, especially with people of German / Russian descent it seems.