What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got yelled at by my bio professor for trying to do a presentation on a paper based on stochastic model of integrin mediated signaling. WHY WONT BIO CLASSES LET ME DO MATH PAPERS?!?!??! :(

You prof needs a good kicking - he/she is clearly a bio-luddite. The bio-sciences have a strong statisitical element, so stochastic modelling is entirely a valid approach to data and meta-data analysis.

if the posters the grad students in my department put up every quarter suggest anything, it's that bio-science is all statistics.

When I went through university as a biochem major, I had to take a statistics class as part of major requirement. The first thing the professor told us (knowing it was all bio-science students) was to hire a statistician.

I dont know much about other schools but bio grad students at my school know jack shit about mathematics and statistics, and you can tell by their level of statistical analysis on their research. My research focus (and most of what I know in general) is on bioinfomatics, modeling and machine learning so most of what I'm interested in concerning biology is somehow related to mathematics.

But then again, this is a grad level intro to cell/molecular bio class so I shouldnt have assumed that I could present on whatever I wanted :P

got yelled at by my bio professor for trying to do a presentation on a paper based on stochastic model of integrin mediated signaling. WHY WONT BIO CLASSES LET ME DO MATH PAPERS?!?!??! :(

Your professor is a turd. Unfortunately, he has a lot of company in bio departments all over the world (professors, graduate students and post-docs) that somehow fail to understand that biology is not understandable using Deterministic models.

Edited by morphsci

Your professor is a turd. Unfortunately, he has a lot of company in bio departments all over the world (professors, graduate students and post-docs) that somehow fail to understand that biology is not understandable using Deterministic models.

Amen, brother!