There's something wrong in Colorado...

n_maher

Yes, the Millet is very nicely made.

After reading this entire thread, boy am I glad I went the TTVJ Millet 307A direction! Two weeks wait. Great build quality. Prompt and honest communication via Todd. All the things that this thread is saying SP doesn't do.

Edit: I have heard two of the SinglePower Amps at mini-meets, namely the "Dragon" and the SLAM. Yes, the sound is very good. However, due to the other factors mentioned throughout this thread, I am glad I went a different direction.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this entire thread, boy am I glad I went the TTVJ Millet 307A direction! Two weeks wait. Great build quality and sound. Prompt and honest communication via Todd. All the things that this thread is saying SP doesn't do.

Yeah fuck that Singlepower sound.

the inners of Voltron's amp are a poor example, and definitely not the norm. in fact, i have never seen another SP amp look as pretty as his and i've seen my fair share. it looks more like that amp was custom made for a photo opt more than anything else, though, i am cynical. i don't know enough about this stuff, but messy wires don't bug me as long as everything else is well thought out, designed, implemented and professionally soldered together. Of course, it has to be stable and sound good too, yet even stability issues are called into question far too often. i suppose the most important thing is if the buyer is happy. some might say ignorance is bliss, but i would be one that would like to know before i start the SP dance what to expect so i can make an informed decision. and if i am willing to spend serious bank at least give other contenders a good listen without thinking, if it cost more it has to be better because far too many people think that way. i think a big reason why Mikhail will survive this debacle is he is probably the nicest person to deal with and when people lash out online, they just can't take the BS and lies any longer. if Mikhail would just shoot straight, he'd have fewer customers, but ones with more reasonable expectations of his abilities and build timeframe. this certainly would lessen headaches and angst not only against him, but for him as well. in spite of all this harping, it seems like business will continue as usual in good ole Colorado because i have yet to see any serious indication otherwise, unfortunately.

My amp was originally built for Sleestack as an "Accent T" with a tube rectified power supply. There weren't any photo shoots or similar uses to my knowledge, and I never saw it opened or saw Mikhail or Sleestack post any internals pics. After I bought the amp from Sleestack and heard the tube rectified/regulated Concerto ES, Mikhail then agreed to build me a new power supply and do the necessary to the amp section. As I have said before, Mikhail took months to complete the build and many deadlines slipped and promises were not kept. Regardless of your cynicism or suspicions, the only reason the amp was opened in San Jose was that I was already gone when he arrived and he had finish some work or had something to fix or adjust before finally turning it over. I was pissed at the time because it was very late, and he didn't show up until after I left the meet, etc. However, he then drove the amp to my house the next day, set it up and it has worked flawlessly for the last year or more (even though I have moved it several times, taken it to meets, etc.).

That's the story. Bad with the good, indeed, but more good than bad from my perspective.

i wasn't being so serious with the photo opt comment more so to show how unusually good the build quality of your amp looks. heck, does anyone besides Mikhail know how your amp looked inside when Sleestack owned it?

I know shit about amp building but I've always thought this Morgan Jones amp had a really nice looking build inside:

withdraw: One of a kind Morgan Jones amplifier - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

I don't think I've ever seen an amp neater than the amps this guy builds, granted they aren't headphone amps:

Yahoo!?????? - ???????????????????

his auctions also have a tendency to end at prices below his parts cost...

I love how some people are saying that you can't have both a neat and functional layout and that the rats nest approach is always in the name of signal path purity.

96017620.jpg

Considering the moron that built the above amp managed to do both I'd say it's reasonable to expect the same from just about anyone. ;)

Mikhail has promised to bring both the Supra-XLR and ES-1 to the Head-Fi Colorado Meet on July 26. I'm hopeful everyone there can listen to the amps.

Elephas,

Hopefully Mikhail can bring both amps to the meet for someone to inspect and listen for you. I hope at the end you will get perfectly working amps one of these days.

Purk

Thanks purk. I consider you one of my best "head-fi/head-case" buddies. :)

Actually I've seen the inside of Voltron's amp (Sat by his side while he fixed Al's amp and worked on Neil's was an all night session) and it looks infinitely more organized than any of Elephas's pictures.

One thing I don't understand is the low quality of the photos. A child could take better photos than that. I don't expect Mikhail to be a master photographer, but I expect someone at Single Power to be able to take decent pics.

Hey, whether you know it or not, I consider you my "Single Power buddy" and expect you to help liberate our ES-1 from the dark depths of the evil blackhole in Denver.

Given how fast you type in IM chat, I'm sure Mikhail will agree to anything in order to avoid suffering damage to his fingers. :P

i think a big reason why Mikhail will survive this debacle is he is probably the nicest person to deal with and when people lash out online, they just can't take the BS and lies any longer.

Mikhail is nice and good to talk with on the phone. That's a reason why I was so disappointed with his broken promises.

Waiting for the amps was not the big issue for me. It was the lying, the broken promises and the long delays in communications and getting a response. Back in 2007, I was told by several people that the wait could take a long time and I was prepared to wait for a year or more. When I sent the amps to Mikhail, he didn't promise a date of delivery.

Then, when I tried to sell the amps in Feb., Mikhail told me that the amps were done and ready to ship. So I sent him money. I trusted him then. I don't think I'll ever trust him fully anymore.

BTW, I placed a deposit for a HeadAmp BHSE late in 2007 (I forget which month) and I'm happily still waiting.

Nate, you did have the advantage of not trying to cram 40 lbs of cat in a 10 lb box with that build :) There was definitely too much being stuffed in that singlepower amp.

Agreed. And part of Mikhail's problem is his willingness to modify things after they've been completed. I think more often than not this probably paints him into a corner regarding layout and so on and results in a product that looks hacked together.

Very glad to hear that Mikhail is following through and bringing your amps to the meet this weekend Michael. I hope he shows up for his own meet earlier than on typical travel days for him. :rolleyes: I'll cross my fingers and hope it works out for you now and in the long run.

You really never can tell. Yeah sadly I won't be at the meet to help you out Elephas but asr is a stand up guy I'm sure he'll make sure you are covered.

I truly hopes Mikhail follows through and I think he will *fingers crossed*. I think making Elephas a happy man will be a critical hurdle in Plan Singlepower Re-vamp.

I have been entertaining the idea of building another VanTOTL: Revisited.

wtb. When I plugged in the power cord last week a huge spark went off at the rca jacks :( I checked it and for some reason the power switch is really loose..

it was my fav amp out of the ones i have right now too >_<

wtb. When I plugged in the power cord last week a huge spark went off at the rca jacks :( I checked it and for some reason the power switch is really loose..

it was my fav amp out of the ones i have right now too >_<

Bad power switch? Open it up, and check it out.

If you ship it to me, I'll fix it. Just give me some time, I have a Beta on the bench now, then a CD player.

I don't think I've ever seen an amp neater than the amps this guy builds, granted they aren't headphone amps:

Yahoo!?????? - ???????????????????

his auctions also have a tendency to end at prices below his parts cost...

Wow nice. Maybe I need to have you buy me one of his amps for my speakers.. and some cds too. I need the new Sparta Locals cd and the Eastern Youth anniversary cover collection vol2 and 1 ;p

So evidently Elephas's ES-1 was at the meet this weekend and Mikhail stated that he was going to ship the amp Monday (today). I guess we'll see how that goes. Also, attendees said that Mikhail claimed that the SDS-XLR was "in his wife's car" but no one saw it. :palm: Regardless it sounds like there all that is left is an unresolved aesthetic issue with the front panel of that amp, which I can understand needing to be resolved before shipping.