The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

VPI, I'm curious how you will like the S100 over the long term. The improved high ISO performance is definitely a boon, but I've been wondering if the 24mm equivalent FoV is actually a detriment. Tiny sensor cameras like the S95/100 already suffer massive perspective distortion at the wide end. When using the S95 and its 28mm FoV equivalent, I find it takes considerable care to avoid getting the surreal cartoony look of such a wide field of view on in a tiny format.

Of course it's possible to zoom in the S100, but there are two caveats to that: First, it's important to remember than tiny digicams don't freely move throughout their zoom range, they have different "stops" along the way. I'm not sure where the first stop is after the 24mm equiv. wide end. Secondly, the aperture of the lens get smaller as it zooms in. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I suspect the first zoom stop is smaller than the F/2 of the wide end. Beside the control dial, the the F/2 glass on the S90/95/100 is the main attraction for me.

Of course, all of the above may be largely irrelevant in real world use. I have no doubt both cameras can produce great results in skilled hands. After nearly seven years of shooting digital, I found I dislike super wide angles most of the time. I'd love an S100-like camera that offers the equivalent of 35mm FoV at F/2. Oh, wait. I just described the Fuji x100. ;D

36 fricken megapixels? EWW. Have Nikon learned nothing? Even Canon is backing off on the megapixel war. How about a D3s's photon-inhaling sensor in a body that costs less than $5000? The arrival of the D800 makes the likelihood of a 'D700s' seem pretty remote. :rant:

VPI, I'm curious how you will like the S100 over the long term. The improved high ISO performance is definitely a boon, but I've been wondering if the 24mm equivalent FoV is actually a detriment. Tiny sensor cameras like the S95/100 already suffer massive perspective distortion at the wide end. When using the S95 and its 28mm FoV equivalent, I find it takes considerable care to avoid getting the surreal cartoony look of such a wide field of view on in a tiny format.

Of course it's possible to zoom in the S100, but there are two caveats to that: First, it's important to remember than tiny digicams don't freely move throughout their zoom range, they have different "stops" along the way. I'm not sure where the first stop is after the 24mm equiv. wide end. Secondly, the aperture of the lens get smaller as it zooms in. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I suspect the first zoom stop is smaller than the F/2 of the wide end. Beside the control dial, the the F/2 glass on the S90/95/100 is the main attraction for me.

Of course, all of the above may be largely irrelevant in real world use. I have no doubt both cameras can produce great results in skilled hands. After nearly seven years of shooting digital, I found I dislike super wide angles most of the time. I'd love an S100-like camera that offers the equivalent of 35mm FoV at F/2. Oh, wait. I just described the Fuji x100. grin.gif

Super-wides (below 20mm equiv to me) are certain to be used sparingly, but they sure can be fun and/or dramatic in the right circumstances. However, in a consumer camera it'll certainly lead to plenty of "no foreground, everything looks distant" type photos, which are certainly very possible even at 24mm.

35mm is coming to be my goldilocks FOV as well. You couldn't pry my Rokinon 35 f/1.4 from my cold, dead hands at this point; what an amazing lens it is.

Canon sure has been ruling the roost as far as truly pocketable photographers cameras go with the S90-95-100 progression. Nikon made a laughable attempt with the P300 (or whatever the hell they called it), and all the other possible competitors are just too big to truly be comparable. I wonder who will step up to the challenge, and take on Canon in this arena. Based on past and current performance, it might just be Fuji. The F30 was the S90 of yesteryear, and their latest cameras have kept people buzzing.

36 fricken megapixels? EWW. Have Nikon learned nothing? Even Canon is backing off on the megapixel war. How about a D3s's photon-inhaling sensor in a body that costs less than $5000? The arrival of the D800 makes the likelihood of a 'D700s' seem pretty remote. ranting.gif

I still don't believe the idea that the D700 successor will be 36mp. I suppose there is an outside chance (to compete with the 5DII trajectory), but Nikon is generally such a conservative outfit that it would really surprise me. Really, I'd be surprised that the D700 line would get such a major update before the D3 line's next major update, at least based on Nikon's past history. I still think it is more likely that we get an 18-20mp D4 with D3s or better noise levels first. If Nikon did release a D700 update before a D4, I'd think it would inherit either the D3s or D3x sensor. Perhaps they'd even introduce a D4 and D4x, with D700 successors claiming both now-obsoleted sensors. But this 36mp thing just doesn't strike me right. Nor do the supposed D800 pictures, which look quite fake indeed. Perhaps I am way off, but it just doesn't seem like Nikon's MO to me.

While I do not see enough difference to necessarily account for the price difference between Gitzo and RRS, the actual working pieces/mechanisms seemed to be of better quality on the RRS as did the weight vs. support strength comparo. The other tripod that I saw and liked was the weird 3 Legged Things line, "Bryan" and "Eddie"

That asshat persona is part of Kai's schtick. He's a divisive character, but (unlike, say, Ken Rockwell) he provides a fair amount of useful info and is clearly aware that he might come across as a jackass.

You know what I haven't done in this thread in forever? Post some fricken photos. Time to rectify that.

Late last month (right before the Epic Snow Storm and week without power), I worked a gig in an old mill in Holyoke. The headliner in the main room was DJ Frankie Bones. For a variety of reasons, he was really late getting to the venue, and was only able to DJ for 20 minutes. He negotiated a deal where he'd go back to the promoter's house and DJ to a small crowd in exchange for most of his fee. Even though I was absolutely exhausted after working for 12 hours (no lie) in the club, I drove to the promoter's house (which was in the wrong direction for me) and heard Frankie spin for 2 solid hours. He didn't half-ass it either. I'm pretty jaded toward electronic music and what most DJs spin, and it's rare when I hear something that really impresses me. Frankie delivered on all counts.

6410653627_07ed5e7cb8_b.jpg

This was the crowd during Frankie's abbreviated set in the nightclub

6410636327_502f96d7e1_b.jpg

Silhouette of Frankie spinning in the promoter's loft. The light source was two LED fixtures I lugged in as well as a diffraction grating laser.

6352625014_08724fb141_b.jpg

Lights in the main room, which was really rectangular.

6381899801_5de1ca98ea_b.jpg

Diode lasers have really revolutionized the industry. A gas laser this bright would be one or two colors and consume 20A at 240V (and require serious cooling). This unit pulls 200W.

6292828593_642df6afcf_b.jpg

A very exuberant crowd.

6328157580_59729b3660_b.jpg

Serious liquid sky.

6330203277_3c378cd0e6_b.jpg

I didn't precisely plan to frame the DJ with a silhouette of the crowd, but if anyone asks, "I meant to do that."

6306579519_d6430d0cc6_b.jpg

The promoter, who DJed pretty early in the evening.

6374670415_3da0e9b49c_b.jpg

As per usual, Katherine the dancer was present.

Of course, that's not all I've been up to recently.

6313506025_4237a52edf_b.jpg

I can't remember if I posted this here before or not. Taken on day 6 days six of the power outage. At that point, most of the town has had its power restored. Not on my street, however. The workers hadn't even started repairing the damaged lines. My neighbor has a generator, which was a welcome relief I have no doubt. Why he used it to power the lanterns on either side of his gate, I am not so sure.

30 second exposure using a Nikon E Series 75-150mm, stopped all the way down and a REALLY shitty tripod because I couldn't find my good one in the dark. Not the best sunstar picture I've taken, but it did document an absurd situation.

I ...had planned on added a few more pix, but Flickr just did me a favor and went tits up. :palm: Other photos will have to wait for another post.

That asshat persona is part of Kai's schtick. He's a divisive character, but (unlike, say, Ken Rockwell) he provides a fair amount of useful info

I enjoy these video schticks as funny breaks, but Kai isn't exactly very systematic or quantatative in his evaluations. For example, the 28 f/1.8 review really should have at least mentioned the Canon 35 f/2 as a cheaper, sharper alternative..

Some nice prices on Canon lenses over on B&H. For example, you can buy a brand new 35L for $1250 (w/ free shipping), which is the usual going rate for an used copy.

http://www.bhphotovi...04/N/4232860665

There is $300 instant Canon rebate going on for the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 Mk II, going at $2074 shipped at Amazon for example.

shouldn't, wouldn't, can't, too big, too heavy, too expensive...

**EDIT**

Oh, Snap! I just found a better deal on the 70-200 MkII with $400 instant rebate. I shouldn't, but this is too good a deal to pass up, especially since I expect I can get more $ for this lens later on the used market. Ordered one!

Edited by Jon L

All right, the 70-200 mkii will be here on 12/5 (free shipping).

What would be the least expensive ballhead with minimal slippage with the 70-200mm mkII plus 5d mkii (or iii)?

Looking at the Giottos MH1000-652 for $100

http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-MH-1000-Independent-Panning-Release/dp/B000I6UV1Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234767547&sr=8-1

Edited by Jon L