Sony XA-5400ES

JBLoudG20

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats probably what I will do, its just that I think alot of the twenty-somethings here at HC are used to computer-based playback, and disc-only based playback is such a fundamentally abstract concept in some ways.

I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, especially at the price, and when you consider the prices Emm Labs charges for their special DACs & algorithms and whatnot. I'd still call it a no-brainer, I think.

I'm trying to think of a reason not to get two of these, to use one in the office.

It's not fundementally abstract for me but I certainly prefer to be able to switch albums at the drop of a hat. I await the sony processor with digital in. This could prove to an amazing setup for a relatively low price?

It's not fundementally abstract for me but I certainly prefer to be able to switch albums at the drop of a hat. I await the sony processor with digital in. This could prove to an amazing setup for a relatively low price?

Sony with digital in? It took year for them to adopt the MP3 format. I don't think they will have such player any time soon.

I think alot of the twenty-somethings here at HC are used to computer-based playback, and disc-only based playback is such a fundamentally abstract concept in some ways.

Dude, I'm nearly a forty-something and I'm never going back to physical media for music storage. OK, maybe vinyl someday, but that's a different story.

Edited by grawk

My goal is to eventually digitize all my vinyl too. My music listening opened up hugely once I got itunes. I listen to more of my music more often now than at any point in my life. Random is awesome. I can still listen to cds and lps when I feel the urge, but being able to just hit party shuffle and go is a godsend.

And I'm going to be 39 in 2 weeks.

(Sorry about editting the wrong post before)

Edited by grawk

Dude, I'm nearly a forty-something and I'm never going back to physical media for music storage. OK, maybe vinyl someday, but that's a different story.

I love my HDD based system, which makes me all the more irritated that there is still no standard delivery system for high-res digital music that can be transferred to and integrated with a HDD system.

Thats what I meant by abstract; that digital is so convenient/quick, why would one go back to one disc at a time.

When your CD/SACD players are so freaking awesome? My exemplar 5910 just sounds so darn good that's all and I need to invest into $$$ in order to surpass the sound of my 5910. I use and love my L3000+DHA3000 playing FLACs or Waves at work though.

Well I'm 52 and the HDD based music system has fundamentally changed the way I listen to music, and for the better IMO. Burning disks is not an option anymore. I want to be able to take my entire music collection with me when I travel and i want to be able to listen when I have the small segments of free time I now have. I still rip almost all of my music from CD's, but the CD's themselves are not really used after that. The pre-pro is a good idea and it is what I use in my HT set-up. I do not have a problem using a pre-pro in my 2-channel setup, but at that point I might as well just buy a DAC. If it is not a Sony then so be it.