Sony XA-5400ES

JBLoudG20

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the denon is even worse than the sony.

Its time to chuck all the legacy crap. And who in their right mind is going

to use one of these beasts to actually run 2 rooms.

No more s-video.

No more composite video.

No more component video.

That empty's out more than half the back panel right there.

And someone needs the brains to put in an atsc transmitter.

(but that one is a bitch)

Someone commented on this month's HFN&RR review on this piece.

Well I got mine today (what about quick postage) and there are interesting infos...

The "special" HDMI interface (HATS) does something: jitter goes from +8000psec (std HDMI mode) to just 200 psec (HATS mode). Btw jitter from the analog outs (more useful for HP listening...) is just 121psec (34psec from SACD!). Distorsion measures too extremely well (low) and bla bla... Dual R core transformers, dual laser optics, more than 10kg with no lead on sight in the internal pic.

Not one useful word about its performance as a stereo CD or SACD player on the three pages, however... :palm:

Cool, I'd like knowing your thoughts about the CD/SACD performance and also as a transport. If it made a good CD transport I could use it instead of the CEC and getting SACD playback as a bonus. Not a big fan of SACD myself, but I have the hopes it's just because I haven't found a good enough player yet. I could start collecting the Hoffman remasters of Blue Note ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Also lusting after this machine, and by lusting I mean trying to decide between this and a PC+DAC setup. Of course if something like the DA6400ES but with less unnecessary features existed it would be ideal. How much would I have to blow on a DAC that rivals the 5400, DA6400 aside?

The only reason you would want an input to a player would be to hook up some kind

of computer based device. For $.25 or less burn a RW and use that instead.

Dumb question but is there any degradation in quality when you do that as opposed to factory-pressed CD?