Custom Turntable Build

swt61

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that pic of the bores for the shot. Did anyone tell you that you do damn nice work? ;D

Thanks man! Most people tell me I'm way too anal, because I carry my obsessiveness to every project I work on. I'm not the cheapest contractor on this island though, so I consider my attention to detail what sets me apart from the average Joe.

That looks like it's going to be a killer turntable. Wish I had the machinery and skills to build one.

Yeah, I think a good table saw, router table and drill press is essential on this project. Most of those tools can be rented however.

The last side was just glued and clamped into place, so I should have some pics within a few hours time. The table will still be without the corner pillars and armboard though.

Oh and my sealer and topcoat arrived while I was toiling away in the shop, so the finishing process will start in the next few days as well.

Just looking at that Walnut you can see how it's going to explode when it gets some finish on it. n_maher-albums-smileys-picture127-icon-pray.gif

It's got a lot of movement to the grain for sure, more than the pics show. That's why I thought an oil finish might be appropriate for the "Colossus".

And I love that emoticon Nate! ;D

Wow, even more amazing than I thought. It really is going to POP with lots of tung oil. Sweet Steve.

5 coats total should do the trick.

Yes, it looks really great. Have you ever considered doing woodworking for a living? ;)

Hmmm, I hadn't until now. :P

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Yeah, I think a good table saw, router table and drill press is essential on this project. Most of those tools can be rented however.

This is very true. However, with apartment living, it's tough to find the space, let alone not piss off your neighbors. Plus, since I am lacking the skills, I wouldn't even know where to start.

Hopefully in the future I can have some space. :)

I got the corner pillars milled up, sanded, glued and screwed into place today. I plugged the holes with Cherry dowel stock, but haven't cut or sanded the dowels flush yet, so no pics of that yet. Here are some pics of "Colossus" with it's pillars and feet though...

walnuttrim004600x450ms0.jpg

walnuttrim005600x450bl0.jpg

walnuttrim006600x450ju7.jpg

walnuttrim007600x450xo4.jpg

walnuttrim008600x450ae6.jpg

Everything is sanded to 320 grit now, and after I mill up the armboard the finishing will get underway.

Wow!!! That is absolutely the best looking TT I have seen in a while. You are truly an artisan Steve.

Oh BTW did I mention that the table looks friggin awesome? It rivals most of the projects David Marks has had on his show. Maybe you need your own show on DIY Network, Wood-Case?

Thanks folks! I'm really happy with how it's turning out myself.

It's really hard to keep from starting the finishing process, because I so want to see it with a coat of oil. However I know that measuring and milling the armboard will require me to be moving it around on top of the table, and there's no use scratching up a finish until that's done.

The armboard will be thicker than I had thought, so I had to glue up two 3/4" pieces of Walnut. The armboard is going to need to be 29/32" thick by my calculations. I'll mill two screw slots in it for fine adjustments, and I'm not sure of the shape yet. I'm thinking one side will follow the contours of the platter, and the other three sides will be rectangular. I'll just wait until it's time to mill it before any final design decision.

Maybe you need your own show on DIY Network, Wood-Case?

I love it! That would be a dream job for me for certain.

OK last installment for a little while. Today after work I milled up the armboard.

Everything is sanded and ready for finishing, which if the weather cooperates will start tomorrow. It'll take a few days to complete the finishing, and I won't bother posting anymore pics until it's done.

I decided to make a little pattern out of 1/4" plywood for setting the tonearm distance. One end has a 1/2" hole which fits perfectly over the bearing, then exactly 222mm from the center of that hole is the center of a 3/4" hole. That hole lines up with the 3/4" inside diameter of the VTA bushing. Once I line up the bushing exactly over the hole the armboard is perfectly aligned.

armboard002600x450mc5.jpg

armboard003600x450cf1.jpg

armboard004600x450qy0.jpg

armboard005600x450fa0.jpg

It's done!

One coat of sealer and 4 top coats. I prefer a satin finish, so sorry for you glossy guys.

I have no idea how it sounds yet. My Pass Pearl phono stage will arrive at the Houston meet (next weekend), and my new cartridge will hopefully be here by then too.

That's the speed controller that luvdunhill built in the pics, left and forward of the motor pod.

latestsystem0021077x808oz7.jpg

latestsystem0031077x808gd5.jpg

latestsystem0041077x808ei0.jpg

latestsystem0131077x808hk4.jpg