What cable are you using on your 650's?

Jeepster

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a) Drew is the only source of the bulk cable that I'm aware of and even 3 years ago it was more than $6 a foot.

B) since you seem to have been referring to Dan's comment and he uses a cable I made for him I'm not sure if that was a shot at me or not. It'd be weird if it was since I'm pretty sure you have no idea what I charged him (or anyone else for that matter) for his Senn cable. :confused: Otherwise referring to the bulk cable cost of the Cardas Senn cable (and incorrectly at that) in reference to the cost of a finished, warrantied cable like GE's, APS's or otherwise doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.

It wasn't intended as a shot to anyone in this thread.

I like my Cardas, but I've never used it on 650's, hence I didn't post in this thread. I even have spares, I am planning on recabling a couple headphones.

I'm going to try to source some for a pair of HD600s. I've been unable to find a readymade Cardas HD6xxx cable for under 140.00 or so, which is already getting pricey. I have some Mogami on my HD650s and it sounds good to me.

k

This is getting confusing, and I am not going to comment on price in absolute terms or in comparison to other builders/makers/etc., but Cardas makes different cables being used for headphones.

The traditional Cardas cable was the sky blue one that I think is now sheathed in a gray cover instead. I never thought that cable was the best match for the HD650 but I do think it is pretty good with the HD600. I don't know exactly why or remember the differences so much, but there you are.

The newer Cardas cable being used by Headroom and maybe others is the Cardas Fat Pipe cable, which is physically thinner than the old sky blue one. I think I first heard these at the New York national HF meet so they aren't that new but HR is now offers recabling formally on the site. Anyway, they say that the Fat Pipe uses Cardas's Constant-Q, Golden Ratio configuration. According to Tyll's marketing folks: "he Fat Pipe geometry is a four-conductor with braided shield cable featuring Golden Ratio, oxygen-free, pure copper Litz wire with pure teflon dialectrics just like the big boys. The connectors are terminated by hand using Cardas Ultra Pure Quadeutectic solder. The connectors are mechanically inert, isolated from electrical noise and completely resonance-free, producing a very quiet, musical and superbly accurate cable capable of beautiful sound reproduction." I liked the impact of this cable on K701s, although I frankly cannot recall hearing the HD650s with it.

Here is Wes Phillips' on-line article about the Fat Pipe recable. He liked it on both HD650s and K701s.

a) Drew is the only source of the bulk cable that I'm aware of and even 3 years ago it was more than $6 a foot.

B) since you seem to have been referring to Dan's comment and he uses a cable I made for him I'm not sure if that was a shot at me or not. It'd be weird if it was since I'm pretty sure you have no idea what I charged him (or anyone else for that matter) for his Senn cable. :confused: Otherwise referring to the bulk cable cost of the Cardas Senn cable (and incorrectly at that) in reference to the cost of a finished, warrantied cable like GE's, APS's or otherwise doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.

DIYCable also sells (or sold) it. I bought from them back in the day on my K340 recable.

When I bought my Blue Dragon IIs (early 2005) the consensus on Head-Fi (take that as you will) was that they were considered on par with the Cardas cables. The BDs were much better looking than the smurf-blue Cardassians, so the choice for me was easy. I think at the time Drew charged the same or nearly the same amount for Cardas or BD Senn cables.

I have never heard Cardas headphone cables, but I had a pair of balanced Cardas interconnects for many years. They were exceptionally well build, lightyears better than my oh-so-fragile Kimbers. Cardas XLRs appear tough enough for stage use. I was quite happy with their sound when I had them, but I'm not one who uh, does much critical listening to spot the differences between interconnects. I have since traded them to swt61, and I believe he is quite happy with them.

There aren't many other Cardas products with which I've had firsthand experience, but based on the quality of what I have seen, I would certainly buy their stuff again. Especially if it's not so smurfy looking. ;)

Also, I don't think anyone was taking pot-shots in this thread, so let me rectify that: n_maher is a poopy_head.

Wait, that was a joke! Put away that ban stick! AAAaaaagjkgjkfgjfkjgkfj....*

rover.gif

I'm going to try to source some for a pair of HD600s. I've been unable to find a readymade Cardas HD6xxx cable for under 140.00 or so, which is already getting pricey. I have some Mogami on my HD650s and it sounds good to me.

k

It's not impossible you just have to keep abreast of the for sale cable forums on head-fi. I picked up my balanced smurf blue Cardas from Neilvg for 100 bucks and I've seen several at that price balanced and single ended come and on on the -fi.

Okay, joke's over. If Golion Voltron's sig seemed odd to you today, that's because we secretly replaced his premium brand of coffee with Folger's crystals. And by that, I mean I replaced the file rover.gif on my server with this:

20080731_simple-jack.jpg

...and later this:

volt-horse.gif

it is now its proper rover.gif again. Of course, all of this might be missed if one's browser had the original rover.gif cached. What isn't so easily missed is my shoddy Photoshop skills. :rolleyes: I'd better go now before I get the legal equivalent of a blazing sword. ;D

:dotu: