What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed that it's 80's/glammish/power-metally -- it's still better than growling/screaming/emo/rapping. Sorry, I'm getting completely jaded about horrid metal "vocals". Consider this -- there's no analogy to what one can do on acoustic/organic instruments. It's not even "playing outside the expected range of the instrument", which has been done. This is at least melodic, which has become increasingly important to me. And not just because of metal, but because a lot of contemporary poprock is loop-based, it tends toward monotonic. Which, although technically one note can be considered "a melody", it is not. It is to melody what grey is to color. Grey is not the complete absence of color -- that's black. But it sure looks colorless.

Sorry, While Heaven Wept are all over the place stylistically. Mostly goth/doom metal. It's only their most recent release that got fairly proggy, although admittedly not as proggy as Myrath. I'll see what else I can dredge up. I tend to listen to a lot of that stuff. I do listen stuff like Meshuggah and Mnemic, but not as much. I tend to drive like Grand Theft Auto when I do, and I don't always feel like restraining myself, so I just choose to listen to music that makes me laid back and happy instead. Most of the time.

On a completely unrelated note, WHERE THE HELL IS Requiem - Pianissimo (Virgin Black)?!?!?

I guess I'm coming from the opposite point of view. Couldn't stand anything with any of the "vocals" that sounded like someone was wringing a chicken's neck for the longest time. Also couldn't stand stuff with pretty much no harmonic content, which as you said, has no "color". The very interesting rhythmic content somewhat makes up for it; I love polyrhythms and syncopation, strange and constantly changing meters, etc.

But yeah, now I'm starting to dig it. I think it's that I don't listen to metal that often compared to other genres (actually I don't listen to much of anything at all anymore but that's another story) so when I want to listen to metal, I want some motherfucking heavyass metal. Agreed about the not restraining self bit, and that's the point for me when listening to metal. I'll save the dark but more sinister restraintful moods for prog rock with metal tendencies (Porcupine Tree, Tool, et al) and I guess prog rock in general. And the definition of melody is two or more notes in succession.:)

Heifetz was it. it's a shame he made almost every recording engineer put the mic right up on him, because apparently he had a huge, warm tone.

He used gut strings which sound less bright. That might have factored into the decision. Heifetz was definitely it though.

Brahms - String Quartet 1 / String Quintet 2

brahms.jpg

Eric Clapton - August

EricAugust.jpg

vinyl

I'm quite used to having my ears 2 inches from the f holes so I guess it doesn't bug me as much. And using gut strings does make a difference, with a sweeter tone and low tension but worse carrying power and stability (not necessarily less bright). The soloists who don't have the mics so close of course still are brought out in the mix on CDs, as there's just no way a single violin can produce as much volume as an orchestra.