What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

I don't recognize that cover -- which Bernstein/Mahler is that?

Amazon.com: Mahler: The Symphonies: Gustav Mahler, Leonard Bernstein, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra: Music

It's a boxed set of the complete Mahler symphonies Bernstein did with various orchestras from previous releases (obviously from previous releases!). Got it 'used-Like New' for $38.83 from Amazon marketplace, but it was still sealed. Great deal! Simple packaging, but the recordings so far sound just great!

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the same symphony cycle, but mine lacks the lieder. Mine is probably the reissue of a reissue to catch the cheapskates like me. I love Symphony #1, and liked snippets of various symphonies I've heard on the radio, but don't often have the time to get through an entire Mahler symphony. I noticed several posts in the 'Favorite 5 minutes of music' list the Resurrection Symphony, so I'm listening to that now. I liked it on first listen, so I'm hopeful. We'll see about the rest- I do tend to get lost in Mahler - I just thought it was me, so glad to hear you say that!

s425589.jpg

Andy Sheppard - Nocturnal Tourist (2001)

Andy plays around with modern production, sampling and electronics. Sounds interesting, and even "fresh", to me still it's a big departure from something like "Introductions in the Dark". His sax firmly takes the central stage, but background arrangements are similar to some of the acid-jazz ninja tune stuff from the late 90's, not a bad thing at all.

Not familiar. But looks like he needs a hug.

I bought this CD years ago, because it was a test disk that someone at Stereophile used in his reviews. It's not bad. Ry Cooder is on there, and Terry is convincing (grew up near the delta, Robert Johnson, etc.).

On the down side, there is a '70s soul vibe to it which I personally don't like. Can't say I'd recommend it unless your into that.

I bought this CD years ago, because it was a test disk that someone at Stereophile used in his reviews. It's not bad. Ry Cooder is on there, and Terry is convincing (grew up near the delta, Robert Johnson, etc.).

On the down side, there is a '70s soul vibe to it which I personally don't like. Can't say I'd recommend it unless your into that.

I actually like 70's soul more than i like the blues! Maybe this could be the artists that gets me more into the blues?! I'll try to have a listen some time, thanks!

Void of Silence, Grave of Civilization -- funereal doomy dirge metal, yes again, love this album. Much of the vocals are practically howled in pain.

Also, noticed that it follows the noun-preposition-noun form of Shape of Despair's Angels of Distress -- is there something artier about saying that, as opposed to say, Silence Void, Civilization Grave or Despair Shape, Distress Angels? Just an abstract question, not really expecting an answer. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've done the same thing myself, I'm just wondering what the reasoning is. (Named one of my previous "projects", The Aerodynamics of Chaff -- for which the reconstruction, "Chaff Aerodynamics", just doesn't work as well. Despair Shape, in particular, does not have the same poetic quality as does Shape Of Despair.)

Die Antwoord -- $O$

Die_antwoord_SOS_cover.png

Everyone in SA has watched District 9 way too many times.

seeing these guys at Voodoo Fest in a few weeks. Supposed to be an awesome live show.

Right now at 11am I am listening to Trombone Shorty and New Orleans Avenue rock the fuck out of hardly strictly bluegrass. Wow.

right on! i might catch some of Trombone Shorty during voodoo as well. he's playing during My Morning Jacket though so I don't know.

pleasuretokill.jpg

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill

I'm trying out this "not so new" music uploader so I thought I'd try and paste a recording I made here.

The file is 24/96 so it's a biggie (no,.. not you spritzer!).

Let me know if you have a problem with the listening or viewing the player. This is my first try with it so if it doesn't work, I'll delete the post and try again.

Like I said, this is a 24/96 aiff file so I'd like to hear some feedback from folks with a decent dac regarding the work I did in post.

Jazz orchestra 1 by ironbut28"> Jazz orchestra 1 by ironbut28

Edited by ironbut

Hmm, OK, I thought that the link would bring up the player but I must be missing something.

Anyway, the waveform that comes up when you click on any of the above links is actually an MP3 so if you want the good stuff (24/96) you have to download the original file. All you have to do that is click on the downward pointing pointer in the toolbar above the waveform. 143MB so it will take a bit of time.

Friendly Fires -- indie poprock goodness. Mmmm...Talking Heads-y.

BoardsOfCanada-MusicHasTheRightToChildren1998.jpg

stuff is good on headphones...new territory for me, I guess they call this genre IDM???

Yeah, they're kind of IDM, kind of ambient. If you like it...well, there really isn't anything else quite like Music Has the Right to Children, but you may want to investigate further in: IDM, ambient, electro. Probably Orbital's Snivilization and In Sides are the closest touchpoints.