New Lavry DA11 DAC

riceboy

It was posted on the other forum here:

DA11, Lavry new DA - headphone feature - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

It was mentioned that the USB is up to 24 bits and 96KHz. I copied and pasted the info below:

Introducing the LavryBlack DA11-

Lavry Engineering takes stereo DA conversion to a new level!

Features like a USB input, programmable settings, infrared remote capability, and the proprietary >PiC< Playback Image Control

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if that PIC is just a fancy crossfeed circuit?

+1 having a remote.

-1 still not having SE out without opening it up.

+1 for having more clicky rocker switches to play with while listening. ;D

Your -1 is negated by having the included XLR to RCA adapters from the write-up. Wonder if he will take trade-ins?

I wonder if that PIC is just a fancy crossfeed circuit?

Yup. It's a stereo imaging control. My DEQ 2496 has a similar thing built in as one of the many functions.

I'm sure it has slightly different controls than others but in the end they all do phase shifting and some attenuation.

Good times. Interesting to see what the price ends up being.

Minor annoyance, here, but I wish the silkscreening on the back didn't say "XLR, optical, RCA, USB". Seems redundant. Why break the standard "AES/EBU, Toslink, S/PDIF, USB" order? The Lavry is designed as pro gear, and might be expected to receive more than one variety of data over the same cable. It would helpful to know which input is S/PDIF.

Minor annoyance, here, but I wish the silkscreening on the back didn't say "XLR, optical, RCA, USB". Seems redundant. Why break the standard "AES/EBU, Toslink, S/PDIF, USB" order? The Lavry is designed as pro gear, and might be expected to receive more than one variety of data over the same cable. It would helpful to know which input is S/PDIF.

I don't think I was aware there was a standard for order of inputs. Especially when each has a different connector, so there's not much chance of confusion.

I don't think I was aware there was a standard for order of inputs. Especially when each has a different connector, so there's not much chance of confusion.

The way I read it there shouldn't have been any difference.

It has always been my understanding that both optical and RCA type connections are S/PDIF but maybe I have that wrong? TOSLINK is an official trademark held by Toshiba so if the connection is the standard EIAJ optical connection it may not be in their interest to use that terminology at all. Futhermore I'd be surprised if the optical connection was not S/PDIF which from what I can tell has been an unofficial industry standard for quite a while, same for the RCA and XLR for that matter. Heck, after a bit more research the only non-S/PDIF connection should be the USB so use of that term to describe only the RCA connection would be incorrect.

As much as you loathe Wikipedia grawk, their article on S/PDIF is at least half decent.

There's definitely information in that wikipedia page. Nothing particularly germain :) but it's information. XLR digital is typically AES/EBU, which isn't SPDIF, tho many dacs and adcs will accept SPDIF over the XLR connection. I just don't see a problem with what lavry did in that case, and I was confused as to what sherwood saw as being a problem.

Does "PiC" really appeal to anyone? I can understand the appeal of a more sophisticated system (e.g. a DSP-based convolution of the signal based on an average head or room transfer function), but just playing around with phase seems like a gimmick to me. If one was going to add anything, why not add basic bass/treble controls?

Other than that, looks very nice. I'd prefer an analog input as well, but I'm not adverse to hanging an A->D analog stage off of my radio tuner just to use a fully-digital preamp, provided it sounds good enough.

Does "PiC" really appeal to anyone? I can understand the appeal of a more sophisticated system (e.g. a DSP-based convolution of the signal based on an average head or room transfer function), but just playing around with phase seems like a gimmick to me. If one was going to add anything, why not add basic bass/treble controls?

It is likely just that a DSP based convolution based approach that attenuates and phases the data. It can be done in analog too (eg in the phonitor).

It is likely just that a DSP based convolution based approach that attenuates and phases the data. It can be done in analog too (eg in the phonitor).

But judging from the controls on the front, there's no way to select a completely different transfer function. It seems a lot simpler than what I'm contemplating (which can't be done in analog... the only DSP that can be done in analog is somewhat gimmicky in the sense that it's at best a first-order approximation of reality).

They pulled a Benchmark. The price is $1480.

How much is the optional remote? Is it included for that price?

How much is the optional remote? Is it included for that price?

The remote is not included in the price, but on the Lavry forum they say:

The image control, as well as volume and mute can also be set from a remote control. The unit is "remote ready" for use with any universal remote control devices.

So I assume you're not stuck with some cheap company remote.