OPPO BDP-83

Hopstretch

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed the BD-83 has difficulty with Disney bd. Not unusual to have to load the bd disc several times in order to get the Oppo to accept it. Seems Disney bd is the only one I have issues with. Since I have grandchildren that like to hang out at my house Disney dvds are a household staple. I just tried to play Pinocchio bd and the Oppo will not accept it. I see there is a firmware update available but it doesn't appear from the description that it will fix the issue.

Rather than rant or whine, has anyone else had this issue? More importantly if you have, do you have a resolution? If not I'll just forgo the bd and get the dvds instead.

That's weird. My BDP-83 has yet to choke on a single disc and it's recently gobbled through everything Pixar has put out plus a bunch of the latest Disney BDs -- Bolt, Sleeping Beauty etc. We have the BD of Pinocchio here but haven't tried it on that machine. I will do so right now, but I'm guessing you have a unit-specific issue as Oppo are very proactive with firmware fixes for known glitches with specific titles. BRB.

Pinocchio loaded up fine, and is playing fine. If it's just this title that's a problem, then I think you have a dodgy disc. If it's other Disney titles too, you should probably call Oppo support and see what they think. Update to the latest firmware anyway and have another go.

Pinocchio loaded up fine, and is playing fine. If it's just this title that's a problem, then I think you have a dodgy disc. If it's other Disney titles too, you should probably call Oppo support and see what they think. Update to the latest firmware anyway and have another go.

nah, kids discs are always in m+ condition, right?

Thanks Stretch! I'll install the firmware update and try Pinocchio again. I also think I'll try a low tech fix...wash the disc. If that doesn't work then I'll call Oppo.

Although I'm sure the discs are not in great shape to begin with, all the bd discs have been ordered through Netflix.

I should get mine back tomorrow or the day after (depending on when it shows up -- if it shows up after 3, my mail room won't bring it 'round 'til the next day). I can either do a comparo with Hirsch's before his goes out (he ordered his on 12/31, so it'll be tight), or ask my boss to bring in his, and (assuming he says yes) do the comparison alone at work.

I should get mine back tomorrow or the day after (depending on when it shows up -- if it shows up after 3, my mail room won't bring it 'round 'til the next day). I can either do a comparo with Hirsch's before his goes out (he ordered his on 12/31, so it'll be tight), or ask my boss to bring in his, and (assuming he says yes) do the comparison alone at work.

You should put 100 hours on your SE before you compare.

Unless of-course you have a crappy system and use old undershirts and a coat hanger for a power cord. This kind of power cord seems popular in this forum.

Also be aware of the SACD bug. Otherwise you may be playing in PCM mode.

Also if you haven't upgraded your BD-83 to Main Version: BDP83-48-1224 firmware, you should do so.

I doubt your buddy will get his BD-83SE upgrade back before 01/15/10

ss

You should put 100 hours on your SE before you compare.
I intend to put as many hours as I can, but 100 seems overkill.
Also be aware of the SACD bug. Otherwise you may be playing in PCM mode.
Bug? I thought it was just a configuration parameter, settable in one of the menus? If this "bug" is something other than "the default is PCM", please do explain.
Also if you haven't upgraded your BD-83 to Main Version: BDP83-48-1224 firmware, you should do so.
They upgraded my firmware. Your mom just made me firm.
I doubt your buddy will get his BD-83SE upgrade back before 01/15/10
Who the fuck are you?
Unless of-course you have a crappy system and use old undershirts and a coat hanger for a power cord. This kind of power cord seems popular in this forum.
Oh, okay, I think I know.

And no, we like power cords for power cords. Safe, insulated power cords.

From your reply's to my post I am not surprised about your overkill remark.

Bug? How long have you had your BD-83 for?

Yes Its a bug. If you use a HDMI cable for video and analog interconnects for audio. The bug has nothing to do with "configuration parameter, settable in one of the menus" The bug has to do with SACD and DSD playback. I am guessing you would want to use DSD not PCM for SACD playback.

I am your fucking Mom. :chair:

And no you probably do not have the latest firmware. What firmware is installed in your BD-83?

Is that a fact. It seems to me that some of the very informative folks that post in this forum, like dirty undershirts rapped around coat hangers for use as there power cords.

btw, you use your power cords for just power cords, and I will use my power cords to improve and tweak my sound signature of my source. ;)

ss

I am your fucking Mom. :chair:

I hope you're fucking his dad, then. Because if not, he could find out, and we wouldn't want any unnecessary emotional scarring.

Is that a fact. It seems to me that some of the very informative folks that post in this forum, like dirty undershirts rapped around coat hangers for use as there power cords.

btw, you use your power cords for just power cords, and I will use my power cords to improve and tweak my sound signature of my source. ;)

Since you're "Christen" do you believe God made power cords sound different, so you could tweak the sound signature of your source?