Balancing Act

morphsci

Wow! I really liked the focus and associated product progression presented in the IF review by recstar24

as opposed to 6Goons all over the place, lets compare this to everything else style.

Also in the IF review, I actually learned something regarding the benefits of the BA 40kHz AC heater approach.

The article actually makes me wanna go out and buy a BA. Of course the BHSE will have to come first...

I really need to get out there and hear the BA with some LCD2's.

Glad you enjoyed reading it. The lcd2 is pretty killer on the BA. The bass is pretty godly and the AC heating just opens up the soundstage more than I have heard in prior DHT outputs with more traditional DC heating. I have liked the sound of normal AC on the filaments but the hum can get obnoxious and even with trim pots Hum is still evident. The BA though is dead silent blackground.

• 4 months later...

This is my first post but I have been a long time lurker. I am strongly considering pulling the trigger on ECBA. My first inclination is to order a pair of KR PX-4 and pairing with an TSRP driver. Does anyone have experience with this combination driving balanced HD-800's?

Please change your avatar because that one is obnoxious and provides little incentive to help out. I have a Balancing Act with the AD1 output tubes and it sound fantastic with balanced HD800s. I am pretty sure Craig likes the PX-4 best in the BA, and I know it sounds great from shorter listening opportunities. I haven't changed the 6SN7 since I got it, and I cannot even recall what it is. I don't think it has a big influence on the sound in this amp.

This is my first post but I have been a long time lurker. I am strongly considering pulling the trigger on ECBA. My first inclination is to order a pair of KR PX-4 and pairing with an TSRP driver. Does anyone have experience with this combination driving balanced HD-800's?

Nice. I like that you used a nice quite voice, and asked a susinct and intellegent question your first time out. Welcome.

Yup. I asked and simply copied you. Running the EML300B solid plates. I tried a few others, but for HD800, I'm sticking to the EMLs.

Craig loves the transparency and neutrality of the PX4s. The EML300B solid plates are ever so slightly thick, which makes it a good match for the HD800s. The PX4s are more harmonically rich than the EML300B, but the 300B are richer in low mids. Both have good tight bass - none of that mushy shit.

The 6SN7s mostly sound similar to each other. I'm running either the Brimar (black base black glass w/ wings) or a National Union tall glass 7N7 on an adapter.

I would shudder at the use of the TSRP and PX4s with the HD800 - makes the BA sound more like the Apex Peak. But you may like it.

Edited by purrin

Nice. I like that you used a nice quite voice, and asked a susinct and intellegent question your first time out. Welcome.

x2. Nice, Tyll!

And ... 'occupation EE / Aerospace Computer Engineering' = Rocket Science?

Interesting that often the smartest people are so modest. No need to mouth off and be obnoxiously loud to be heard. Too busy doing good things.

Thanks to all for your kind comments. I am undecided if I will use a TSRP. I have spares to try so my ears will have the final say. I have always liked the EML product line as the build and sound quality is top tier. Unless someone convinces me otherwise I will adopt the selections Blubliss and Purrin have made with my own twist! I will likely select the EML 300B-XLS and talk with Craig about incorporating customizations allowing adjustments of the 300B operating points taking advantage of the XLS. Having not seen the detailed pictures of the insides or schematic of the BA, I am not sure on how feasible this will be. I am awaiting a response from Craig.

No, I am using Emission Labs AD1s and Craig made 2 or 3 units specifically for these tubes. He is not advertising it, but you could certainly ask if he will make you one. If you have a source for any Nazi-era AD1s, please let me know.

Sorry, I don't have any sources for tubes outside of the common places. But if I happen to come across anything I'll certainly pass along the information.