Balancing Act

morphsci

Guest sacd lover
FS: Rare Version 6H8C Russian Military 6SN7GT, Nickel Base Tubes (NOS) - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio <- Anyone know anything about this tube? Thinking about stocking up for the Balancing Act.

Better than TS round plates? I suppose if you like bright. All hype if you ask me. I have had exactly two. Other than bright you can add a little harsh .... but I cant say much else. One of the tubes died after about a month .... with very little use.

Probably inspired by the original Xana, which is IMO his best looking amp

http://www.mothmuseum.com/mothaudio/xanahi.html

I still think that the original moth s2a3 can't be topped:

recstar24-albums-moth-s2a3-picture203-moth-s2a3.jpg

laser etched logo. Chassis has that kind of black paint you might find on a lexus. The glow of the tubes through these spooky portholes, the moth emblem, etc. On top of the brass plaques for the transformers inside the chassis and tons of random details that most would consider trivial, the BA looks more like the EC HD-25 that I used to own. I am more in line with nate on the looks department, I prefer the looks of the Zana. All I care about is how it sounds, and that jim is not too far away from me that I can have a listen.

I like everything about the Balancing act except for the power light. It look like a 1980s motel phone. From what I recall (and can see from the above pic) the Moth gear used faceted light covers that looked both more classy and vintage. I really do like the sloped front and upward facing knobs. It (duh) recalls the storied Xana and has a great "mad scientist" feel about it.

I still think that the original moth s2a3 can't be topped:

recstar24-albums-moth-s2a3-picture203-moth-s2a3.jpg

laser etched logo. Chassis has that kind of black paint you might find on a lexus. The glow of the tubes through these spooky portholes, the moth emblem, etc. On top of the brass plaques for the transformers inside the chassis and tons of random details that most would consider trivial, the BA looks more like the EC HD-25 that I used to own. I am more in line with nate on the looks department, I prefer the looks of the Zana. All I care about is how it sounds, and that jim is not too far away from me that I can have a listen.

That is one sexy amp. But I do see a family resemblance between this and the BA, even if the BA may be the illegitimate stepchild. This will be making it to Chiunifi III.

It (duh) recalls the storied Xana and has a great "mad scientist" feel about it.

Somehow that seems rather apropos ;)

Also, just to clear things up, the images are not my actual amp as I ordered a 307A model not an AD1. Craig was simply nice enough to send those to me so I could see what the final casework looked like.

The BA, for some reason, seems more in line with the older Eddie current line.

HD25Front2.jpg

HD25Front1.jpg

HDBack.jpg

I would think that if you prefer the older look, the more industrialized aesthetic, then the BA is probably right there. Like ER I am more in line with the ZD by appearance, though having owned the s2a3 I still don't think there is a prettier chassis than the original s2a3.

Did Craig make HD 25s in any appreciable quantity, Ryan?

No:( I want to say 6 total were made and sold - 5 that were sold here and 1 was a custom job sent to Russia that was tube rectified. I owned one of those 5, but sold it to a canadian who I believe still owns it. Billy has one which I keep on trying to have him sell me but he is too lazy to even consider it:) So 3 more somewhere in the ether. Unfortunate too as that is a killer sounding amp especially with grados, the synergy with the RS-1's is perfect, soundstage so freaking deep. I believe the actual cost of parts, chassis, custom output transformers, was $600, so considering Craig sold it for $595 with shipping, he essentially shipped every hd25 with a $25 bill. I have a internals pic somewhere - really nice stuff inside. Custom made Eddie Current tin foil, paper, poly cap, custom eddie current output transformers, freaking ridiculous.

Why doesn't he just make more with a higher price tag?

I have already tried that years ago :) I believe with current manufacturing costs, I believe he quoted me a price tag of 12-1400 for it. So it doesn't quite make sense, because the whole allure of the amp is that it was a hi end amp for pennies.