New Woo Audio Electrostatic Headphone Amp!

Voltron

hehe, add up the price of all of the options. For the same price as upgrading both sets of caps you can have the BHSE with no caps. No cap is as good as no cap at all.

What do you mean by "wasn't supposed to"?

The early speculation & guesses was that it was going to be a Stax-SRX/SP ES1 which does not require output caps. The nice thing about using output caps is of course that the amp can be made self/auto/fixed-biasing.

Speaking with Jack Woo about the amp, Im still not clear on what it is ( he said its basically a GES on steroids, but then what is the phase splitter tube that was recently added for? and how does the amp have balanced inputs: the GES circuit can not accept balanced ins... too many things dont add up. Most likely he just didn't want to tell me what it was, which is understandable because nobody {except nelson pass who dosnt seem to care at all} likes people looking at schematics for amps they are trying to sell. ) but he did tell me that the output uses plate chokes which is pretty slick. Dunno if its slick enough to justify the use of a second set of caps in the signal path, but slick.

Perhaps its something like an SRX/ES-1 but built with a single supply? aaah, the rampant speculation continues.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by "wasn't supposed to"?

The output stage in the prototype was supposed to be DC coupled i.e. tubes to the headphones with nothing in between. They had issues with that so could have reverted back to the basic design of that circuit, i.e. the 2uf caps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...