New Woo Audio Electrostatic Headphone Amp!

Voltron

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The upgrade options are up on the product page.

WES Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier

Parts upgrade 1:

V-Cap inter-stage coupling caps $1280

V-Cap Teflon Film Tin Foil reference grade audio capacitors

• V-Cap OIMP 0.22uF/300V (16 pcs)

Parts upgrade 2:
    V-Cap output coupling capacitors $380
    V-Cap Oil Impregnated Metallized Polypropylene reference grade audio capacitors

• V-Cap OIMP 2uF/600V (4 pcs)

Power tubes upgrade:

Shugang 50-Years Treasure 6CA7 matched quad. $640 with 12-month warranty, sourced from Grant Fidelity

The Treasure series is a statement work of Shuguang's 50-years' of expertise in vacuum tube design and production, a highest quality build. Its unique black glass is due High Polymer Compound Carbon (HPCC) coating. Compared to traditional carbon spray technology, HPCC coating will allow greater concentration of electrons, enhance and maintain stability of the electron flow, maximize "secondary electron emission surpression" from the glass enclosure, in turn reduce effects of electron swirl which generates internal noises from the vacuum tube itself.

"Oil impregnated"

teehee

On a serious note, I figured that Woo would introduce all these upgrades at various levels. And I hate so many upgrade options, because it always leave me wondering what the next level sounds like...

I like the BHSE in the sense of "here it is, take it or leave, it, what color you want, fool..."

I like people making decisions for me when it comes to amps, I guess. :palm:

I'd still like to hear a WES though, obviously.

Another factor I had to take into account was the fact that I live in Hell, and the heat is unbearable sometimes, so the less tubes putting out heat the better. This means that, were there an absolute equivalent to the BHSE that was completely SS, I'd have gone for that instead.

But I'd still like a WES... so damn sexy. Choices choices

On a serious note, I figured that Woo would introduce all these upgrades at various levels. And I hate so many upgrade options, because it always leave me wondering what the next level sounds like...

It was inevitable, for the very reason you say. Woo will make a decent chunk of change from the upgrade packs, and buyers will enjoy the warm-and-fuzzies.

I always presumed that upgrades were less important than the actual topology. If you're going to sink the cash in upgrades, it's probably best to simply move up to the next entire model.

By that thinking, you should only bother to upgrade the WA5 and the WES out of the Woo lineup. This is, at least, how I justify stock units to that terrible, expensive, nagging voice.

If you're going to sink the cash in upgrades, it's probably best to simply move up to the next entire model.

I would tend to agree. It is just like pimping up a car.

I always presumed that upgrades were less important than the actual topology.

It is my understanding that for AC coupled amps such as the WES the coupling caps are pretty important to the overall sound quality.

I would tend to agree. It is just like pimping up a car.

Same reason why I don't upgrade cables on my headphones. I just sell the headphones, get some funds, throw in the money I'd have spent on upgrading cables, and I'm up a tier.

However, like you said, once you reach the top, that's it. And that's the case with the WES.

I wish I hadn't revisited this thread. Now I want one again. :mad:

It is my understanding that for AC coupled amps such as the WES the coupling caps are pretty important to the overall sound quality.

That sounds fair. It has Auricaps standard, though -- those are no slouch, right? I suppose for peace of mind, the OIMP upgrade isn't too terrible. It's priced almost at cost, from what I can tell.

And I hate so many upgrade options, because it always leave me wondering what the next level sounds like...
That's why I recommend getting the best one can, because then you don't have to wonder. And I'm not just being snarky -- the psychology of "wondering" plays into your musical enjoyment. Of course, it also plays into one's empty wallets/pocketbooks/purses/etc., but that's your problem.