New Woo Audio Electrostatic Headphone Amp!

Voltron

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sacd lover
wes-amp-psu-007-prod.jpg

Check it out, people! (click the pic) Not yet named officially but called the WES (Woo ElectroStatic) for now.

Wow that is nice looking .... that stomps the RSA-A10. With those big power tubes this amp should have plenty of voltage swing. But, are those 6sn7s in the gain position? Thinking about the gain tube hopefully those are 6SL7s.

But, are those 6sn7s in the gain position? Thinking about the gain tube hopefully those are 6SL7s.

From WES Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier

* Standard Features: Point-to-Point Wiring

* Four EL34 power tubes

* Four 6SL7 [PDF] drive tubes

* Two 5AR4 [PDF] rectifier tube. Direct substitute: 5U4GB

* Two selectable balanced inputs

* Two selectable unbalanced inputs

* One 5-pin pro bias output

* One HE-90 output

* More to come...

:)

Wow that is nice looking .... that stomps the RSA-A10.

I agree. Simple, clean and understated beats bling any day. I really like how the tubes are guarded.

woo audio certainly know how to make some tasty looking amps. dont think ive ever seen an ugly woo amp. wonder what justin has started here...bhse followed by a10 followed by wes.

Jack has been talking about the next gen of Woo's GES as a two-box beast for a long while. I don't think Justin can take credit for prompting that one. :cool:

I love the look of the rectifiers on their side, that is really pimp. I totally dig the looks, definitely my style. Elegant, simple, understated come to mind. I wonder how much it will cost though...seems like it will be around the $4000 mark...

$6K or so seems to be the statement electrostatic amp price point so far.

Hot damn! Good for Jack. Bad for my wallet.

I love the look of the rectifiers on their side, that is really pimp. I totally dig the looks, definitely my style. Elegant, simple, understated come to mind. I wonder how much it will cost though...seems like it will be around the $4000 mark...

I'm kicking myself for forgetting this, but I think you're in the ballpark.

Jack has been talking about the next gen of Woo's GES as a two-box beast for a long while.

Yup, and he acknowledged that it needed to have some balls.

$6K or so seems to be the statement electrostatic amp price point so far.

I forget the price, but I distinctly remember not hearing it go that high. Of course, that was then this is now. But I hope Woo Audio makes a smart move here and prices on the low side.

Very nice. Not sure I like the bullet proof glass shield though.

I'm going to guess that it's removable. I discussed with Jack the problems that little monkeys present with tube gear and he said he knew it was a problem and had some ideas.

Very Nice !! Received this message from Jack a little while ago.

Greeting from Woo Audio:

We are excited to release the prototype of a new electrostatic headphone amplifier. This unit will drive all 5-pin pro-biased electrostatic headphones, and Orpheus HE-90.

Click or copy the following link to open:

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wes.html

While we are finalizing the design, we would like to hear your suggestion to name this beautiful amplifier.

Feel free to forward or distribute this message. Any comments or suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jack

Jack has been talking about the next gen of Woo's GES as a two-box beast for a long while. I don't think Justin can take credit for prompting that one. :cool:

i only meant to say that this sudden influx of estat amps started when the bhse started gaining steam. since justin dealt the first blow with a big time stat amp, ray and jack had to release something to counter the offering from headamp. either that or 3 big names in the headphone amp business releasing stat amps one after the other or within close proximity is one hell of a coincidence. imo justin set the bar and now the others are trying to reach it.

regardless, its a great looking amp.