Ye Macce Threade

the value of a stolen item is typically determined by what is stolen.

And the guy who took it could have left it with the bar and eventually he knew it was a prototype that belonged to Apple and considered returning it but kept it for himself. In any event, he didn't have the right to sell it and the fact he went to gizmodo and sold it as such proves that he knew what he had. Gizmodo certainly knew it was stolen property under these circumstances and based upon its obvious understanding of Apple's practices. They told the guy it was ok and paid him the money.

The cops should not have raided the editor's house but there was a crime of receiving stolen goods and theft of trade secrets in my opinion.

Apple will take this as far as they can for the simple reason that, though they might cop some bad media publicity, letting Gizmodo get away with it will encourage others to try the same thing. They'll go to the guy who found the iPhone, show him the evidence and the law and give him the choice of telling everything down to the last detail to them or having the book thrown at him. Since he was an epic idiot, he'll cough up the details and Apple will spare him. Gizmodo shall not be spared shit, and even though they might cry and whinge, in a year they might be offline or sold after Apple crush them.

I'm hoping that someone will eventually have a NAS product that has a real itunes server on it (that can feed appletvs)...that will let me ditch having a media server in favor of the nas device.

I don't have an AppleTV so I don't know if this would work, but Firefly Media Server (aka mt-daapd) streams from my WDTV to my MBP. They have flavours of the program for Linux, etc.