Ye Macce Threade

Damn, I was expecting an i5 based 13" MBP :palm: Had I known the 13" was getting only a faster processor, I'd have purchased it a couple of months ago.

^^^THIS. Absolutely not interested in a laptop bigger than 13". Ah well, I still have the iPad coming anyway.

it's a chipset thing. the 13" MBP isn't large enough for a discrete graphics card, and the only current integrated video chipset for the i5 is the crappy Intel one. i'd rather have the stronger nVidia chipset with a slower CPU.

I don't need much graphic power, but rather a more powerful processor and more RAM to run parallels so I can use Windows if needed, which I'm afraid I'll need :( However your point makes a lot of sense and probably explains why Apple didn't use the i5 on the 13" MBP.

This refresh does not impress me much. Maybe I'll get 2 moar iPads.

If you buy two more iPads, upon receipt there will be an immediate announcement by Apple that they were just kidding with that MBP refresh notice. The real MBP will be 13", with an i7 stock, and a new carbon fiber body that weighs 1.5 lbs. Oh, and it comes with a free iPad even though the price will be lower than the prior 13" Macbook.

Annnnd we're back. New MBP's, the 15" and the 17" at least. i5 with an i7 option. No dramatic price changes that I can see.

Was wondering if there might be a micro-SIM tray in this generation. Nope.

Apple - MacBook Pro - Meet the new MacBook Pro family.

Picked up the 15" i7 a few days ago and popped in my SSD. For everyday stuff it's pretty much as fast as the 2.5 y.o. MBP it replaced - the SSD really makes both computers fly, IMO. Haven't done too much number crunching or graphics yet.

The fans are MUCH quieter than the older (i.e. non-unibody) MBP - with the SSD the computer is practically silent. Only silly thing compared to the older one is the swap of the DVI port for the mini-displayport connector, since I plug into DVI monitors both at home and work. However, a couple of $8 mini-dp to DVI convertors from Monoprice are going to fix that :)

I don't need much graphic power, but rather a more powerful processor and more RAM to run parallels so I can use Windows if needed, which I'm afraid I'll need :( However your point makes a lot of sense and probably explains why Apple didn't use the i5 on the 13" MBP.

I ran VMWare/WinXP on my 2.2GHz Core2Duo MBP - IMO all that matters for most work is the RAM - when I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB that helped with the VM a lot.

Only silly thing compared to the older one is the swap of the DVI port for the mini-displayport connector, since I plug into DVI monitors both at home and work. However, a couple of $8 mini-dp to DVI convertors from Monoprice are going to fix that :)
I actually like the mini-displayport plus dongle solution better than the plain DVI port, just on aesthetic grounds - it puts the big, clunky, and relatively inflexible DVI cable a couple inches away from the nice clean laptop, and the extra bendiness of the mini-displayport portion of the cable makes the whole thing feel more compact as well, just because it's easier to route. YMMV of course.

While I'm glad there's another FLAC player for OSX (seeing as how Play is a buggy POS, and abandonware to boot) but I am not sure about Clementine. It uses QT (not QuickTime), which is a sucktastic cross-platform GUI that IMJO looks its worst on OSX.

Have you tried it? I usually agree with your opinion on QT, but the interface is so simple here that there's nothing to dislike really. It probably doesn't respect Apple aesthetic guidelines, but who cares, now I have a simple library-based FLAC player that works!