the NEW Zana Deux, ZDT and Balancing Act thread

I've only listened to the balanced K340 so far. Hearing them single-ended out of the Zana Deux convinced me to buy the BA. So far it has not disappointed, the BA has no problem driving the K340. In fact I have never heard them sound this effortless. Could be new poppa syndrome, but I don't really care right now.

Curious about what you think of this setup compared to your OII rig. Let us know once you get a chance to do some serious listening :)

Tough to say... Craig feels there is more flexibility with 300Bs and I think he thinks it'll be more musical which for his preferences puts it more in the AD1 arena but... shrug I don't think he's spent as much time yet or has 300Bs (He wants to hear NOS WE too) I think this may not be answered fully until second run starts getting completed.

• 2 weeks later...
What would you consider a fair price for TS roundplate 6F8G's?

I don't know how the TungSol sound but I would not pay more than $20 - $30 max depending upon how I felt about the seller. Right now a lot of the 6F8G tubes on ebay seem to be going for inflated prices. I guess I need to let Icarium buy all he wants before I put in bids. :D

Oops. Nate beat me to it. He is absolutely right, if you are going to pay the high prices you may as well go with the 6SN7s.

That last two that sold on Ebay last night when for $198. That's about double what I saw two weeks ago. At those prices you might as well just but 6SN7s and not worry about the adapter.

Wow, that's a lot for those tubes. You can get TS Round Plate 6SN7s for less than that and like you said, not have to worry about the adapter!

hmmm...I didn't think they were too similar.

I briefly tested it last weekend at Dan's mini meet.

Dan could probably give a better description as he currently has both.

TS 6sn7 sounded extremely smooth, clear...highs extended so well.

Could see why people love these tubes.

TS 6f8g in comparison sounded warmer, more musical.

Music felt more intimate.

It wasn't muddy at all though...just a different presentation.

I would definitely want to have both as I think they're complementary not better or worse.

Their prices have really shot up recently though...

I really like 7n7s, especially the older tall bottles. I also really like the prices for 7n7s. When asking for tall bottles, be sure to get old, original tall bottles. I received one that appears to be a Soviet 6sn7 that was converted somehow to loctal. While it is a very interesting tube, it doesn't sound as good as older Sylvania 7n7s, tall bottle or not.

I heard Jim's BA (serial no. 3) yesterday, using my HF2 from the 1/4th output on the front. Source was Mike's RA Opus 21 transport + DAC, music was a redbook copy of Tool's AEnima.

Verdict - best I've heard the HF2 sound. I listed to the tracks "Stinkfist" and "AEnima", and the latter was easily the best I have ever heard it (in accordance with my preferences). Entire freq. range was spot-on, good headstage (even depth, on a Grado *gasp*). The mids did not match quite as well for me as the Moth amps (EC2A3/Si2A3), but that is nothing surprising and just a difference in tubes (2A3 v. 307A).

Lovely amp, congrats Jim and the other lucky 9.

So much so that I'm really considering foregoing my 6f8g hoard for the time being, and focusing on acquiring some quality 7n7s ... any opinions on these as 6sn7 replacements?

Craig decided that the 6F8Gs crushed the 7n7s 5692 (I think? Some RCA military red base 6sn7 which he thought sucked and 6SN7s...

Yeah I dunno I think I personally prefer the Tungsol Round Plate but I haven't gone back to the 6F8Gs version yet. But my findings mirror foo_me I just like an open sound rather than an intimate sound so it's all down to preferences.

Haha no worries from me with regards to moving on more tubes :) I'm stuck to my (Done for this year thing). Dynafet expenses already gots me on lockdown.

I heard Jim's BA (serial no. 3) yesterday, using my HF2 from the 1/4th output on the front. Source was Mike's RA Opus 21 transport + DAC, music was a redbook copy of Tool's AEnima.

Verdict - best I've heard the HF2 sound. I listed to the tracks "Stinkfist" and "AEnima", and the latter was easily the best I have ever heard it (in accordance with my preferences). Entire freq. range was spot-on, good headstage (even depth, on a Grado *gasp*). The mids did not match quite as well for me as the Moth amps (EC2A3/Si2A3), but that is nothing surprising and just a difference in tubes (2A3 v. 307A).

Lovely amp, congrats Jim and the other lucky 9.

No. 3? o_O

Just looked on the back of mine and see No. 3 too.

Yeah, still happy listening to mine.

Still going through the different 6fg8s.

You can get some really good performance from the 6f8g tubes for less money at least when i compare against the TS round plate.

Not sure how long that'll last as prices seem to be creeping up and up.

It's kind of complicated... I mean he was the third to get his for sure ohwait no nestacio probably got his earlier since he's local. There's like the serial # written with silver sharpie or whatever on the power supply/amp.. and then the one on the little plate like 3/10 or whatever.

I'm not sure which is technically the right serial #