Apple Tablet

x2. Do you think they'll automatically adjust the Apple Care Support date, or will we need to get on them?

Also, I ordered the wireless keyboard instead of the keyboard/dock, and that's in transit now.

The Apple-Care should be fine, just save a copy of the receipt. At the time I convinced myself that the dock/keyboard would be more versatile but I'm no longer convinced.

Wow, you guys are true Apple believers. As much as I usually love their products, I'm still in wait & see mode with the iPad, I'll need to play with it first.

My projected uses already make it a no brainer and since I own a touch I pretty much already know how it will work.

Wow, you guys are true Apple believers. As much as I usually love their products, I'm still in wait & see mode with the iPad, I'll need to play with it first.

Believers in the OS potential for the form factor.

Suspect Android and Chrome OS will be next.

Find it interesting how some of us are somewhat viewing it as a different appliance. Some as the ultimate remote/vnc. Some as a [mostly] laptop replacement. Maybe the WiFi/3G split, but I'll be curious which of us use the iPad primarily outside the home and who's mostly using it inside?

And other options for a case and a stand on the cheap...

Accessorizing your iPad... for cheap!

Yeah, which keyboard is a tough one. I could still switch, but I'm thinking, as much as I hate changing batteries, I'll probably use the iPad in Landscape mode more than in Portrait, and from the way the keyboard dock attaches, it appears to be fixed in Portrait mode. Could easily be wrong, though.

I also may use the keyboard on my lap, and put the iPad on a small moveable desk on wheels in front of me, as I speak to patients.

I'll probably also pick up that portable BT keyboard for the road, when it comes out.

I've been thinking, and if I don't like using my iPad with my VZW MiFi for internet then you guys will probably be seeing me sell it here so I can get the 3G version. If the MiFi could give more than 4 hours of internet on a charge then I'd be less worried. I suppose a couple of spare batteries for it would be in order, because I suspect I'll be using the iPad a lot as my eyes keep getting older. :D

[rant mode on]

Apple definitely should have drivers for bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and I don't understand why they haven't done that for the iPhone yet. I think it took two years to get A2DP stereo bluetooth headsets working, didn't it? I'm an Apple fan boy as much as the next guy (5 Mac computers and 2 Apple TV in the house), but I think that they get it in their head that nobody "should need" a feature and they arrogantly decide not to offer it (no Cut and Paste for 2 yr, no fully functional BT or removable battery, and no Flash are some examples).

I think iPhones should offer tethering (ATT sucks), and iPhone users should be able to share their internet with their iPad.

I also fear that Apple will try to keep some iPhone accessories and iPad accessories from working on the other device, like no VGA out of the iPhone and no composite video out of the iPad. Or no SD card reader for iPhone "because it has a camera". And, will they offer the iBookStore to iPhone/Touch users? I keep thinking the real Steve will say, "iPhone users really don't want to read eBooks on a tiny screen" so they wont offer it. I'll be surprised if they do, but one can only hope. And, will they offer iBookStore for the Mac and PC?

Many of our FM transmitters and chargers for iPods broke with Nano 3G/Touch/iPhone, and I fear that iPad wont be able to use a lot of those, and then we have to upgrade dock acc's again. Want to guess whether your $120 whiplash audio LOD for Pico Slim will work with iPad? I'd say 50/50 chance it wont because they might change the dock pins again. I have to keep a couple of 5G iPods around just so the kids can still watch movies on their 7" sonic impact video screen, because the 6G classic or 3G-5G Nano isn't compatible. The kids got MTX iPod boom boxes for Xmas a couple years ago that sound great, but they need to be used with an older 5G video or 2G Nano because they can't charge the newer iPods. It's just stupid. So, I'm expecting moar stupidity with the iPad.

[/rant mode off]

Unsure about a mouse. There are BT mice, aren't there? I'd suppose those MIGHT work, but have not read anywhere that they would. I'd be doing a lot of heavy typing or have the need for fast typing. The iPad would be on a desk right in front of me, standing upright, so I'd plan on a lot of touch/gestures. I never considered that it'd be awkward- I thought the whole point was that the touch/gesture interface would be superior to mousing. In fact, with most of my current computing, I find myself wishing I could just 'reach out and touch' rather than have to use a touchpad or a mouse. I guess I'll find out in a month in a half!

Regarding HPA's rant, I suspect some of Apple's decisions are doing what THEY believe 90 percent of what people want/what makes the most technical sense for the format in question (what you might call arrogance, if you don't agree with them!) And some are financial/contractual decisions.

I agree it seems fair to only pay once for ATT's 'unlimited' data, but ATT would not agree. And it looks like ATT wins for now, esp since we're in the early adopter phase. I suspect there was no iPhone/iTouch keyboard because they didn't want to steal customers from this thing they had in development called 'iPad'. It looks like now that iPad is coming out, keyboards may soon work for iPhone/iTouch. Copy/Paste, who knows? Maybe copyright concerns and they figured it out, or maybe people complained too much? Maybe it gets people to upgrade?

They do seem slow to bring on some features, but they also seem to be doing well in sales, and in making reliable, easy to use, 'satisfy most of the people, most of the time' products!

Apple's development cycle seems to focus on making sure things work right, and they focus on the areas that they think improve usability. If you want more influence on what gets developed, you either have to be a big customer, or go with linux (or even darwin). That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Apple's track record suggests that their take on things usually works out well, even when it's unexpected. Lots of other people have done tablets, but previous tablets left a lot to be desired. I like what I see about the ipad so far. It's the only new computing advance (outside of supercomputing) that has excited me since apple switched to BSD.

For anyone that has a jailbroken iPhone, there is a Cydia app called MyWi ($10) that allows you to use your phone as a wifi router. I was able to connect another iphone to mine and the internet worked. My phone was in the list of wifi networks the other phone found. Assuming this works with the ipad and I don't see any reason why it won't, I will end up cancelling my ipad 3G order.

That vaja looks nice! Can't tell on my Blackberry - does it have a stand to prop the iPad up?
I think you use a stack of twenties to prop it up. Actually, pretty much a teaser at this point. Retro Slim is the only case they're taking orders for currently and it has no stand.

01.jpg