Apple Tablet

Just played with a co-workers iPad. I see why everyone is using the "beautiful" line. Feels a little fragile (at least at this point), but it's more beautiful (form and screen) than I was expecting. It's going to be... what's bigger than huge?

Humongous

Shpadoinkle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvjbv7wq34

Went to a San Jose Apple store this morning and found a long line of people waiting to get in to get their iPads. Also watched a training class on the iPad. Kind of basic but good for someone with no iPhone experience.

Apple actually feature a lot of books from Project Gutenberg in the iBooks store... so you can download them directly to the device. Otherwise you handle this the same way you'd handle adding music to an i device.. get a file, drag it into iTunes and sync to the iPad.

flash is mostly ads anyway

And then you read the JooJoo review, which notes in passing that it cuts that POS's already-pathetic battery life in half.

I tend to agree with this guy that a lot of content delivery on the Apple mobile devices is ultimately going to be through dedicated apps rather than Web standards. The Epicurious app is another good example that pisses all over the mag's actual Web site.

Cameron Moll: Designer, Speaker, Author The Mobile Web vs. the Objective-C Web

Edited by Hopstretch

I tend to agree with this guy that a lot of content delivery on the Apple mobile devices is ultimately going to be through dedicated apps rather than Web standards.

Isn't that the same shit that Microsoft has been criticised for over the last decade?

Bad, bad thing to break the web standards.

I highly recommend the Apple case. The ability to prop it up on a angle makes it easier to use in many situations, in particular when sitting at a desk or table. It's pretty sleek as well but you do sacrifice some protection compared to the Belkin sleeve I also bought. I don't think there is a high risk of dropping it so I'm willing to go with less protection for greater convenience.

Edited by tyrion

Mike ... glad the Apple case is working for you, and u r gaining nerd status for the jailbroke iphone linkup - impressive. In the past, I've been obsessive about keeping ipods and itouch pristine in cases from new - not so much with the pad. I guess the matte finish is more of a "touch me, I won't break" look and feel, so I'm going caseless with the pad, and letting it experience life to the fullest. Will probably be looking for some kind of stand or prop eventually, so maybe the Apple case will be the answer for that.

Mike ... glad the Apple case is working for you, and u r gaining nerd status for the jailbroke iphone linkup - impressive. In the past, I've been obsessive about keeping ipods and itouch pristine in cases from new - not so much with the pad. I guess the matte finish is more of a "touch me, I won't break" look and feel, so I'm going caseless with the pad, and letting it experience life to the fullest. Will probably be looking for some kind of stand or prop eventually, so maybe the Apple case will be the answer for that.

Gene, cover the pad. It was not meant to experience life to the fullest. If it was, java would work and I could chat on HC with the pad.

Not when the standards are a bloated piece of crap that is actually hindering progress.

Flash, I have no love for. But all other formats of proprietary content delivery that are being developed for the iPad? That does worry me.

What worries me even more is that the tech community seems entirely happy with increasingly closed systems. It seems like we're taking several steps backwards.

Gene, cover the pad. It was not meant to experience life to the fullest. If it was, java would work and I could chat on HC with the pad.

Too late, Mike. It's already had 3 year olds playing tic-tac-toe with it, and some dfh 60 dripped down the face. So far it has (wo)manned up and taken it. I think it is a sturdy little bugger that wants to live on the edge, so mine will be a free range pad.