Showing My D2000 to others.

Takashi

So a while back even before I got my amp I was excited to own my new headphones and wanted to show them to a friend of mine. He comes over and puts on a song in my itunes, quickly finds the equalizer, turns the Pre-amp setting in iTunes ALL THE WAY up, takes the headphones off and quickly declares that they suck.

Being a nice fellow, I just said ok and shrugged it off. My question to you is where does this kind of ignorance spawn from? How can someone be so stupid to assess sound quality when iTunes is clearly distorting it. Also he was using a 128kbps quality audio that he gave me, and I told him before hand that the quality will suck.

GrRrRRRRRrRRRrRR

Console me fellow head casers.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time you go out with your friend someplace riding in his car and you guys have to stop a gas station, fill up the tank with diesel.

When he wonders wtf is going on with his car during ignition, tell him his car sucks. Get off car, call cab, go home.

hmmmm that sounds like a great idea :) mwahahahahha

yeah, you're not going to find a lot of people that "get" our hobby. It took me about 3 years to tune my ear to higher end gear and I still can't hear what a lot of the stuff that truly great gear can offer such as superior transience bass extension on some cans. My aural memory also is pretty week but improving the more I listen. This is a hobby with the goal of improving your listening skills so you can find more ways to waist money you don't have. Don't expect your tardo friends to get it.

Rather than trying out a cooler-than-thou attitude re your friend, have you considered that he might be on to something? When it comes to the D2000, I agree with his assessment, and yes, I've heard them now a few times, both recabled and stock, and with a few different amps and sources. They suck.

Rather than trying out a cooler-than-thou attitude re your friend, have you considered that he might be on to something? When it comes to the D2000, I agree with his assessment, and yes, I've heard them now a few times, both recabled and stock, and with a few different amps and sources. They suck.

Took 18 posts before this. HC, you've gotten soft on Denons. :basement:

The D5000s don't suck. I don't like them, but they're decent closed headphones. The D2000 is just way too flawed in ways I can't tolerate (as opposed to flawed in ways I can). I think the D2000 fills the need for modestly priced, closed, home headphone, and there really isn't much available in that price range, so you're kinda stuck with these or the even worse Ultrasones (the only "popular" headphones I dislike far more than the D2000s are those god-awful HFI-780s horrors). I'd still prefer a decent set of iems if I needed the isolation rather than get the Denons.

Who cares what your friend thinks.

I used to show stuff around, not so much to try and make people envious of my gear but just to show people what really good sound is like. "Listen to this! It's the Omega 2, the best headphone ever made!" Nobody cared. Nobody still does. So I stopped caring too. The less others handle my gear, the better shape it's going to be in.

On the other hand, the few people that actually do care about sound but aren't into the hobby serve as a good reality check. If someone's face lights up when they listen to your rig and you can see the amazement you're on the right track. And often untrained ears will pick up things that your golden audiophile ears have been conditioned to miss.

My best reality check is a friend who is a recording engineer. His rig makes mine look like a joke, but then I don't have the benefit of a mastering studio that lets you borrow EMM Labs sources and doesn't really care if you return them.

Boomana believe me i've read your posts, and you have a huge bias against them, on the opposite spectrum there is Markl, who thinks they are the greatest things ever, who is right? who cares as long as it sounds good to me and it does.

Let's see who I should believe. On one have I have Vicki's input. She's contributed a lot to both HF and HC and not once have I ever seen her do something even slightly shady.

On the other hand we have the fellow who runs "Lootin Audio". This is the same fellow who wrote a scathing review of the HD800 including his most famous words, calling it "slowwwwww". Now there are things to not like about the HD800, but being slow isn't one of them. Then later, probably after seeing how well the HD800 was accepted by his target market, he decided that he really liked the HD800 and it would be perfect if only people bought his high $ cable.

This is a really hard decision to decide which one of these people I trust. I'm going to have to think about it for awhile and get back to you when I decide. :rolleyes: