Moving to Monitors

Aura

whenever I ask for monitor recommendations I got room treatment recommendations. :P

Today, if someone put a gun to my head and made me buy monitors, it would be the mini Harbeths, no doubt. I'd keep all my Quad electronics (99 Pre > 909).

that new radial driver looks badass, though I've never heard it:

~ pic ~

out of your price range I guess. glad to be unhelpful! but I'd consider Nate's advice as well. Those $700 Paradigms look great. I have never heard them but have read plenty of positive reviews, and almost bought some myself a while back.

If you do a sub eventually, I can recommend the budget SVS, but keep in mind throwing this in your system will pretty much destroy the transportability aspect. The SVS subs are freaking heavy. I have the cylinder sub and it gets attention from everybody that comes into my house.

"Nice speakers. What is that? A sub? Thats a sub?!"

You win 100 cool points Posty for making the search a little more enjoyable :). Harbeth's sure would be nice, but I hate to force it (naturally, every time I've ever found myself saying that I don't want to force a purchase, I end up going for it).

I'm also going to throw Vienna Acoustics into the mix for your consideration. I live mine.

I was reading some impressions on another Vienna that weren't "supposed" to be positive, something about far too much coloration and a forward presentation. Sure sounds like a Grado don't it? I tend to like Grado's.

No votes for the PSB? I'll give you gentlemen the benefit of the doubt, and assume you've never heard them.

These are the most accurate monitors that Canada's NRC has ever turned out. They're made of honeycombed aluminum with a cherry veneer. They physically bolt to the custom stands in four places, and have a rounded bottom for further coupling with the stand (since they sit in it like a bowl).

They're a 2-way reverse D'Appolito (with the midrange above the tweeter), and the midrange is horn loaded for further bass extension. Moreover, the stands are designed to be filled with lead shot, as I have them, bringing the weight to roughly 70 lbs. per speaker.

These things are the bomb. Just thought y'all should know.

This is the most convenient option I'd say, so I cannot ignore it. And it might help that they sound damn good.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No votes for the PSB? I'll give you gentlemen the benefit of the doubt, and assume you've never heard them.

These are the most accurate monitors that Canada's NRC has ever turned out. They're made of honeycombed aluminum with a cherry veneer. They physically bolt to the custom stands in four places, and have a rounded bottom for further coupling with the stand (since they sit in it like a bowl).

They're a 2-way reverse D'Appolito (with the midrange above the tweeter), and the midrange is horn loaded for further bass extension. Moreover, the stands are designed to be filled with lead shot, as I have them, bringing the weight to roughly 70 lbs. per speaker.

These things are the bomb. Just thought y'all should know.

sounds nice!

I forgot to add to my previous post that my advice for any college student would be to make sure that whatever it is that you buy you don't mind getting a scuff or two, water ring or whatever. It's an apartment, shit happens, buy the good stuff later in life when there's at least a chance that you'll have better control over the environment.

x2 The best idea I had in college was to buy the Audioengine A2s from strech. They're cheap enough that I wouldn't ball up in the fetal position and cry for a week if they get scratched or broken and they sound good enough to listen while I'm studying.

Bump the speaker budget up a bit, you could get the Dynaudio Excite X16: AudiogoN ForSale: Dynaudio Excite X16

If I wasn't already completely fixated on a different brand's speaker in the same price range, I would've bought that by now. :)

I find Dynaudio, in its quest to be more hi-fi, tends to make speakers that are highly competent in terms of all of the measurable parameters (plays louder, deeper, having wider frequency band, etc) but lack musicality of their British counterparts. I find that's true with the C1, C4 and Special 25, when I auditioned them on more than one occasion. The amp/preamp used were Ayre 5 series.

I find Dynaudio, in its quest to be more hi-fi, tends to make speakers that are highly competent in terms of all of the measurable parameters (plays louder, deeper, having wider frequency band, etc) but lack musicality of their British counterparts. I find that's true with the C1, C4 and Special 25, when I auditioned them on more than one occasion. The amp/preamp used were Ayre 5 series.

Dynaudio 52SEs are quite nice..And if anyone who was tehre on the evening of the last day of Canjam will tel you that Ti Kan's homebrew speakers with dynaudio drivers sounded amazing...soo good that folks just shut up, pulled chairs and listened. :o:P

One more name to throw in the mix: Silverline.

They make great-sounding speakers, are easy to drive, have decent bass for their size, and you can get them used for nice prices. Heck, even their little Minuet is $400, allowing for a sub if you want (need) it.

FWIW, I own a pair of their floor-standing Preludes. They are rated to mid-to-high 30's in Hz bass output. 6"W x 8/5"D (bit more for bases), they are easy to move around.

If you are talking about powered monitors in the 2000$ range, they don't come much better and a much better deal than the Focal SOLO 6 BE:

CR Focal Solo 6 be + DDDAC 1543 et Photos - HiFi & Home Cinema - Video & Son - FORUM HardWare.fr

I haven't heard too many commercial monitors but i've been to many many high end recording studios because a friend of mine works at EMI records. Focal drivers are the best i've heard in the studio regardless of price. If you can find monitors that implement them properly i'd say that is your best buy IMO!

Dynaudio 52SEs are quite nice..And if anyone who was tehre on the evening of the last day of Canjam will tel you that Ti Kan's homebrew speakers with dynaudio drivers sounded amazing...soo good that folks just shut up, pulled chairs and listened. :o:P

I do think Dynaudio makes great drivers. I had Dunlavy stuff made with Dynaudio drivers for several years and I think their drivers are among the best, particularly their midrange driver. However, as a complete speaker deal, I think you can do better in terms of musicality.

I completely disagree with you on the Special 25's -- I own them, will keep them, and they've made me smile for many an hour.

I think I said these are technically very competent, so I am not surprised you like yours; I just don't find that type of sound appealing.

I haven't heard too many commercial monitors but i've been to many many high end recording studios because a friend of mine works at EMI records. Focal drivers are the best i've heard in the studio regardless of price. If you can find monitors that implement them properly i'd say that is your best buy IMO!

The other speakers I mentioned are very good also, seas excel magnesium woofer + fountek neocd 3.0 ribbon + external crossover box with many options to tailor the sound (not to mention you can replace it with active crossovers and play with computer based room corection with digital woofer amp + tube tweeter amp).

If you're the semi-diy type and go active crossover, you can also replace the ribbon tweeter with one you like better ... you basically get a complete speaker for what you would pay for excel and fountek drivers ... there's no better deal I know of if you're looking at buing new. :)