What are you reading now?

grawk

51798a5576232.preview-620.jpg

Sandberg's Lean In. She spoke at work last week.

I have this on my Kindle but haven't gotten around to it yet.   Instead, I am trudging through Dan Brown's Inferno - the first half was incredibly dull, the second half isn't all that much better.   I don't even know why I am still reading it.  

Edited by shellylh

Just Finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Zen_motorcycle.jpg

It took me a while to get through it because it is so dense. The chapters are like morsels to be savored, thought over, and discussed.

It is fabulous. Easily one of the most important books of the 1970's.

It helped a lot that, as a philosophy major, I had read nearly all of works Prisig discussed back in undergrad.

• 1 month later...

I bought it, but refuse to start multiple books again.  Trying, anyway.  I usually have two going at any time -- one on Kindle/phone, other IRL.  Finished The Beautiful Dead (which was wonderful, for those who don't follow me on Facebook), started Declare by Tim Powers.  Still working on Discount Armageddon, which is amusing -- urban fantasy done with a heavy dose of comedy, like more than usual for a Whedonite.  Totally digging it.

Just finished Carl Sagan's Cosmos in anticipation of the remake of the TV Series next year with Neil DG-T. IMO the original Cosmos series was probably the best thing PBS has ever aired. It is a masterpiece.

Cosmos_book.gif

Sagan is a bona-fide genius, and a very good writer to boot. He is excellent at explaining some very complex topics and through his organization he keeps you from getting lost. Its also amazing how much his personal politics/philosophy comes through even more in the book than it did in the TV series. He can be a bit heavy handed at times, but he is ultimately right.

The most fun part of the book that didn't make the TV Series? The reductio proof in the appendix showing that the square root of two is an irrational number. I literally broke out a sheet of paper and worked it out for myself along with the book. It brought me back to my undergrad days of having to demonstrate proofs up at the board. Good stuff.

Next up is either the sequel to Game Change about the 2012 election or the new Malcolm Gladwell.

Edited by TMoney

Just finished this.  Really really excellent dystopian sci-fi.  It was my first Atwood novel, and I can now say that I'm absolutely a fan.

oryx_and_crake.large.jpg

I'm going to start the second in the trilogy as soon as I read something lighter - maybe I'll try Discount Armageddon, if Dusty gives it his Whedonite seal of approval.

Edit: woo!  There's a copy at my library.

Edited by acidbasement