What are you reading now?

grawk

Hey Hey, Matt read a book!

Just finished Slaughterhouse Five. Something I'd read in one sitting in the library one day a long while back and remembered thoroughly enjoying but not much else about it. Figured it was a nice easy way to make sure I would actually finish something other than the odd David Foster Wallace short story collections that have been my sole literary diet for the last several years.

Wow, lots of equations! The intro and conclusion make sense, though. Would you say from this that a tube amp may make more sense than a tube premp? Or am I not understanding this properly? I used to preferentially choose tubes in my preamps over my amps.

From what I understand, it's basically trying to find a good technique to calculate THD and IMD using a differential pair tube triode setup. And the author finds that Fourier series is better than Taylor series expansion and gives the relevant formulae to solve for THD and IMD. I'm reading up on everything on how tubes work from the ground up and will re-read the article after that.

From what I understand, it's basically trying to find a good technique to calculate THD and IMD using a differential pair tube triode setup. And the author finds that Fourier series is better than Taylor series expansion and gives the relevant formulae to solve for THD and IMD. I'm reading up on everything on how tubes work from the ground up and will re-read the article after that.

Subscription paid in full, sir. I have thought about having a place, and I don't know exactly where that place would be, for us to share links and what-not to material/reading about other, more involved facets of audio machinery.

on [dusty]mah[/dusty] kindle.

heh :)

Subscription paid in full, sir. I have thought about having a place, and I don't know exactly where that place would be, for us to share links and what-not to material/reading about other, more involved facets of audio machinery.

Cool, I'm too cheap to pay for a subscription but there's definitely some good articles from that site. There's of course a lot of good reading at diyaudio and here actually. But I've been meaning to piece together what the heck a tube is for ages and haven't gotten around to it until a few days ago. Now I get basic stuff like the construction of a triode and how it works, common cathode/grid/anode configurations, a couple of different phase splitter designs, etc. Soon I might even work my way up to reading (and understanding) stuff on tubecad.:) But yeah, you can always make a thread here (not here here, but.. on HC).

Cool, I'm too cheap to pay for a subscription but there's definitely some good articles from that site

Me too. I meant your newsletter.:) Sir.

There's of course a lot of good reading at diyaudio and here actually. But I've been meaning to piece together what the heck a tube is for ages and haven't gotten around to it until a few days ago. Now I get basic stuff like the construction of a triode and how it works, common cathode/grid/anode configurations, a couple of different phase splitter designs, etc. Soon I might even work my way up to reading (and understanding) stuff on tubecad.:) But yeah, you can always make a thread here (not here here, but.. on HC).

I found this site pretty interesting and full of info, if you dig thermionic emission.,

and Pete Millett has a full library of books that he and others have scanned into his site. I love free books online.

You prolly seen Doug give links to the Navy NEETS modules, which also contain material on tubes, and a bit more visual stuff.

I'll think about the Encyclopedia Galactica, and how/where to go about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Started Naked Heat.
So yeah, I'm basically reading four books at the same time right now:

X-Rated Bloodsuckers, Mario Acevedo

Made to be Broken (Nadia Stafford, book two), Kelley Armstrong

Naked Heat, Richard Castle

Dead and Gone, Charlaine Harris

ESCAPE FROM SPIDERHEAD by the great George Saunders over at The New Yorker.
BTW, that was fucking awesome.

Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential". Fairly amusing read for the most part. Totally believable too, as I see a fair amount of the underhanded backstage dealings in the foodservice world. Amp that up to NYC in the 80's and I don't think any exaggeration was necessary. The parts about mob owners and particularly inept owners rang a lot of bells for me.