What are you reading now?

grawk

The last few I've consumed via Audible, while at work.

"God, No! Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales" - Penn Jilette

"How To Be Black" - Baratunde Thurston

"Catch-22" - Joseph Heller

"Bossypants" - Tina Fey

"Einstein" - Walter Isaacson (in process)

All of them read - other than "Einstein" - at least in part, by their author (Just a little by Heller).

As much as I love Tina Fey, I didn't find the book to be that great. Good, but not great. I dug the rest, but "Einstein" hasn't yet grabbed me like Isaacson's "Steve Jobs," which was ridiculously good.

• 2 weeks later...

Iris_wildthyme_the_panda_book_of_horror.jpg

Obverse's Panda Book of Horror anthology, part of the Iris Wildthyme (Doctor Who) series. I'm one or two stories from the end, and it's been an enjoyable, although not especially mesmerizing or consistent, read. I am looking forward to the closely upcoming Wildthyme book, Lady Stardust (if you're a Who and Bowie fan, def worth a go), as well as Tales of the City, another anthology from Obverse born from the Faction Paradox universe.

ReadyPlayerOne.jpg

Loved this book, couldn't put it down.

Yeah, that was outstanding, read it a few months ago.

Been on an Alastair Reynolds kick lately, he's been totally on the mark with me. I think his strength is his description of the epic chases -- things that would totally not translate to film (I'm looking at you, Star Trek: The Movie), his pacing in the books is perfect.

Also just started the Dresden Files. Hey, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean an invisible demon isn't about to eat your face.

Been on an Alastair Reynolds kick lately, he's been totally on the mark with me. I think his strength is his description of the epic chases -- things that would totally not translate to film (I'm looking at you, Star Trek: The Movie), his pacing in the books is perfect.

Also just started the Dresden Files. Hey, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean an invisible demon isn't about to eat your face.

Finished both of those (the Alastair Reynolds was Revelation Space -- reading them entirely out of order, previously read Century Rain, House of Suns, The Prefect, and Pushing Ice). Started Redemption Ark and Fool Moon.

Nice to see you posting on here, Kiro. I used to enjoy your shenanigans on HF, back in the day.

I'm nearly finished this:

The-God-Species.jpg?t=20110627132932

He gives a broad and pretty shallow treatment (it's just one book, after all) of the nine major ways that humanity is making the planet unlivable for other species and ourselves, and suggests macro-scale solutions. He directs a lot of frustration toward the Green movement for getting in the way of pragmatic fixes, due to their unrelenting ideology and pursuit of utopia (opposition to nuclear energy, mostly). I'm really liking it, and I find I'm getting into an increasing number of arguments with people with whom I associated during my undergrad.

Making Babies: Stumbling into Motherhood by Anne Enright. Interestingly starts on reproduction fears by discussing American alien abduction stories (aliens always male, those probed overwhelming female) and a certain Sigourney Weaver character.

41KB21SVYQL._SS500_.jpg

"If Kafka had been a woman, then Gregor Samsa would not have turned into an insect, he would not have had to. Gregor would be Gretel and she would wake up one morning pregnant."

Finishing up Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

I'm in a weird spot because I really want to read my next book (Mira Grant's Blackout, the final book from the Newsflesh Trilogy, which showed up randomly as I had forgotten about the pre-order). I've really enjoyed AL:VH, as I have all of Seth Grahame-Smith's work. But knowing Blackout is out there has made me feel a little rushed since I kinda want to get through it.