What are you reading now?

grawk

Finished that on the flight back, now on to Feed, by Mira Grant. Feed because (a) zombies, and (b ) bloggers (newsfeed, geddit?). Pretty cool concept -- zombies have long since taken over part of the world, but lots of survivors. Bloggers are the real news outlets, because of the speed with which news travels. I particularly enjoy the relationship between the main character and her brother (of course, who wouldn't?).

Feed, by Mira Grant.
Holy shit, I cannot express how amazing this was.

BEST ZOMBIE BOOK EVAR

Alright, I haven't read any other zombie books, but still...

BEST ZOMBIE BOOK EVAR

Maybe it's because I'm struggling with snot and whatnot, but the emotional roller coaster that this book put me through is easily the most intense I've read in decades. Just amazing.

Definitely reading the next two the day they come out; also going back and reading her fantasy fiction.

If some of you enjoyed the Saunders piece from a page back, and haven't read them yet, don't miss out on:

CivilWarLand in Bad Decline and Pastoralia.

The short Sea Oak is online.

AT SIX MR. FRENDT comes on the P.A. and shouts, "Welcome to Joysticks!" Then he announces Shirts Off. We take off our flightjackets and fold them up. We take off our shirts and fold them up. Our scarves we leave on. Thomas Kirster's our beautiful boy. He's got long muscles and bright-blue eyes. The minute his shirt comes off two fat ladies hustle up the aisle and stick some money in his pants and ask will he be their Pilot. He says sure. He brings their salads. He brings their soups.
Edited by blessingx

As I'm a little defensive of titles I love, if anyone wants to do a sci-fi-ish feed double-feature, M. T. Anderson's FEED is also a great young adult read. Less zombies, more implanted Internet receivers.

"We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck.

We went on a Friday, because there was shit-all to do at home. It was the beginning of spring break. Everything at home was boring. Link Arwaker was like, "I'm so null," and Marty was all, "I'm null too, unit," but I mean we were all pretty null, because for the last like hour we'd been playing with three uninsulated wires that were coming out of the wall."

I love the concept of a good double feature.

Just need to finish Bitten, another of your recommendations!
Yeah, I'm really :ian:-ing on Kelley Armstrong right now, after just having finished Waking the Witch and Made to be Broken in fairly rapid succession. Easily my favorite current author. Try to get as far as Stolen (eventually). Or actually, you won't discover that she can write in different "voices" until you get to Dime-Store Magic and Industrial Magic, since both Bitten and Stolen are written from Elena's POV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished Woken Furies -- liked.

Finished Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, and An Artificial Night. Seanan McGuire is easily my favorite recent discovery. She's not perfect, but I find myself just whizzing through her books, feeling very involved, caring for what happens to whom, and in particular, I really love the long-term relationships she sets up. There's one that is set up from the very beginning as a love/hate thing, but she tells us through action rather than thought or narrative. I mean, eventually even Toby (the main character) realizes that the feelings run deeper than what she initially believed, but the actions come first, the thoughts afterward.

Started Steel Remains. Will probably start Late Eclipses shortly.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Steel Remains -- greatly enjoyed the resolution. The sex scene(s?), not so much.

Started Late Eclipses by Seanan McGuire -- yeah, I'm smitten. My favorite recent-discovery author. Has a dark streak, great sense of humor, and a nice mind's eye for fantastical things. Some of the things that happen can be a little too deus ex machina (or rather, dei ex machina), but you know, who cares? That's my superpower: the ability to shrug during fiction. But do you know what she does best? Love. Love of brother, love of sister, love of comrade, love of commander, love of subordinate*...all of its forms, she does well. Even dysfunctional love. Even unrecognized love (e.g. love of the main subject, from the main subject's point of view, without the main subject even realizing it). I think that's what I like best about her.

Really going to has a sad when I finish this one, because I will have read everything she's written until the next one comes out.

* Try not to read that in Ronald Reagan voice.

Musashi, written by Eiji Yoshikawa and translated by Charles Terry, for the second time. It's a beast of a book, about 1000 pages long (of decidedly small print, mind you), and I feel like I didn't really get it the first time. It's really enjoyable though.

Edited by revolink24

Started Late Eclipses by Seanan McGuire -- yeah, I'm smitten. My favorite recent-discovery author.
My ex has me beat -- she was on vacation, and she read all four books in three days.

I've started reading The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. It's her tween-targeted series. So far, so good, but kind of predictable (I'm sure she'll fix that eventually). It answers the question, How do you make a short, stuttering, late-blooming teen charismatic? By getting insider her mind and showing how she thinks.