What are you reading now?

grawk

What I really want to start reading is Fables, but I hate reading incomplete comics.
Sandman is great, but by all means, read Fables. There are a couple of endings to minor arcs that certainly are very satisfying. In fact, this last one was so grandiose, I thought it was the end to the series.

And by no means read the Walking Dead -- that one is never intended to end. But it's very good.

Yea, I have that too.

Recommend anything else? A few others that I was told were good are The Authority, Ex Machina, American Vampire...

What I'm currently reading...

Marvel's Cosmos Chronology, what leads to The Thanos Imperative

DC's Blackest Night, what leads to The Brightest Day

Vertigo's Sandman

I'm actually not that voracious a comics reader as I used to be. Of those, I've only read Ex Machina -- which is good, but not as good as Fables or Sandman. I would say go with Preacher first, which is wonderful.

Sin City is fabulous, although if you've seen the movie, you've seen a little over half the stories in them. Still, worth it for A Dame to Kill For.

I tend to go by author:

- Gaiman, of course -- just read everything by him. Even little oneshots like Creatures of the Night and Black Orchid are worth the price of entry. Total fanboy.

- Bill Winningham -- definitely becoming a Bill Winningham fan.

- Warren Ellis -- you mentioned Transmetropolitan -- hell yes, by all means, anything he touches...

- Frank Miller -- a little too misogynist for my tastes, and the men are all a little too macho, but he plays to his strengths, so who am I to judge? Plus, sometimes it turns out quite fun, such as Dark Knight Returns, etc.

- Garth Ennis -- yeah, I mix up Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis all the time...fortunately, they are both good, so...who cares?

- Alan Moore -- a bit verbose, but necessary for what he does

- Steve Niles -- lots of one-shots and short runs, but he comes from old school horror and short stories, so they're all good -- the entire 30 Days of Night run (lots of short stories, and the first book was so much better than the movie), Remains, and Wake the Dead stand out. He has a serious black comedy bent, so it's not as serious as Sandman, but still some very human stories.

- Dave McKean -- anything illustrated by Dave McKean I find interesting -- Cages was hard to follow (you think?), but I'm such a fanboy, I didn't care

- Ben Templesmith -- another illustrator and sometimes writer -- great stuff in Singularity and his entry into the Dead Space curriculum is eye-opening -- he does to comics what Hero did to movies. But another one that's less "literature" and more just plain worthwhile reading.

Oh, and Joss Whedon -- I've been enjoying Angel Season Six and Buffy Season Eight quite a bit, but pretty much everything he touches is quite good (The Runaways, for example). But I was already a Joss Whedon fanboy before I started either of those, so if you're not, I have no idea how it'll come across to you. But if you do, start with Fray -- some of my favorite moments in comics are in that one.

Good post Dusty. I highly recommend Lucifer By Mike Carey IMHO he "destroys" Gaiman :) Carey's writing is the best I have read in the world of graphic novels (I have read everyone mentioned above) even if you think I am moron please still look into Carey's work it is truly something special, Grant Morrsion's stuff is great as well (did not see his name mentioned). On another note I am reading a book that would be of interest to most HC'ers Amazon.com: Perfecting Sound Forever: An Aural History of Recorded Music (9780571211654): Greg Milner: Books worth reading about the Loudness wars, Leadbelly, Edison and other facets of recording music.

I'm actually not that voracious a comics reader as I used to be. Of those, I've only read Ex Machina -- which is good, but not as good as Fables or Sandman. I would say go with Preacher first, which is wonderful.

Sin City is fabulous, although if you've seen the movie, you've seen a little over half the stories in them. Still, worth it for A Dame to Kill For.

I tend to go by author:

- Gaiman, of course -- just read everything by him. Even little oneshots like Creatures of the Night and Black Orchid are worth the price of entry. Total fanboy.

- Bill Winningham -- definitely becoming a Bill Winningham fan.

- Warren Ellis -- you mentioned Transmetropolitan -- hell yes, by all means, anything he touches...

- Frank Miller -- a little too misogynist for my tastes, and the men are all a little too macho, but he plays to his strengths, so who am I to judge? Plus, sometimes it turns out quite fun, such as Dark Knight Returns, etc.

- Garth Ennis -- yeah, I mix up Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis all the time...fortunately, they are both good, so...who cares?

- Alan Moore -- a bit verbose, but necessary for what he does

- Steve Niles -- lots of one-shots and short runs, but he comes from old school horror and short stories, so they're all good -- the entire 30 Days of Night run (lots of short stories, and the first book was so much better than the movie), Remains, and Wake the Dead stand out. He has a serious black comedy bent, so it's not as serious as Sandman, but still some very human stories.

- Dave McKean -- anything illustrated by Dave McKean I find interesting -- Cages was hard to follow (you think?), but I'm such a fanboy, I didn't care

- Ben Templesmith -- another illustrator and sometimes writer -- great stuff in Singularity and his entry into the Dead Space curriculum is eye-opening -- he does to comics what Hero did to movies. But another one that's less "literature" and more just plain worthwhile reading.

Oh, and Joss Whedon -- I've been enjoying Angel Season Six and Buffy Season Eight quite a bit, but pretty much everything he touches is quite good (The Runaways, for example). But I was already a Joss Whedon fanboy before I started either of those, so if you're not, I have no idea how it'll come across to you. But if you do, start with Fray -- some of my favorite moments in comics are in that one.

Great post. I'm a Whedon fan too, did you read Astonishing Xmen? I just finished Blackest Night. I don't know how I feel about the ending, I stayed up pretty late to finish it, so I'll be rereading it tonight when I get home from work. haha

Good post Dusty. I highly recommend Lucifer By Mike Carey IMHO he "destroys" Gaiman :) Carey's writing is the best I have read in the world of graphic novels (I have read everyone mentioned above) even if you think I am moron please still look into Carey's work it is truly something special, Grant Morrsion's stuff is great as well (did not see his name mentioned). On another note I am reading a book that would be of interest to most HC'ers Amazon.com: Perfecting Sound Forever: An Aural History of Recorded Music (9780571211654): Greg Milner: Books worth reading about the Loudness wars, Leadbelly, Edison and other facets of recording music.

Will check out Lucifer.

LOVE Sandman and some of his other stuff.

Anansi Boys was OK.

Neverwhere was great.

American Gods - not so much.

Loved Stardust.

There is an anthology inspired by Sandman that's actually decent:

books?id=hDnski1_UzcC&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&l=220

The reason I came to this thread was to say that this became available today:

442px-Evolutionary_void_cover_uk.jpg

Yay!

Note to George R R Martin: This is how you finish a series.