What are you reading now?

grawk

omibOnKindness.jpg

On Kindness

Was looking for a book to try with my ipad, and though their selection isn't great, this one piqued my interest. I'm only about 20 pages in, but I rather liked their definition of kindness as "the ability to bear the vulnerability of others, and therefore of oneself." I'd not really framed it that way before in my mind.

and in paperback:

generation-me2.jpg

Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled--and More Miserable Than Ever Before

I've been slowly reading this for work over the last couple months. I'd recommend it to anyone having to work within the culture of entitlement and still get things done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was having this argument earlier -- to me, the difference between 'fantasy' and 'science fiction' is an element of the supernatural. Agreed? So the counter-argument is that how can we know that anything is supernatural? Maybe it's just as yet unknown. So my counterargument to that was, "fantasy is anything that violates science both as we know it today, or anything that may violate predictably known science or something to that effect", but I was already faltering, because the whole thing about science is that we don't know what we don't know, otherwise we'd know it. So he said, "okay, so anything with faster-than-light travel or time travel is fantasy and not science fiction, even if they don't violate any other known scientific laws".

To which, I of course, had no argument, so settled with, 'yo mama was science fiction...until I did her last night, then she was my fantasy'.*

So...anyone want to throw out a definition that will help either side of the argument?

*Not really, I didn't think of that until just now.

• 3 weeks later...

in-n-out-burgerlarge.jpg

From the local library.

Interesting read, but unlike the product, I found it somewhat unsatisfying. Check out the acknowledgements at the back, and see if you think that this is essentially an unauthorized biography, with all that entails.

That said, I found out things I hadn't known before, and it explained some of the socio-economic context of their history. Now why do I feel a craving for a double-double animal style :)

Amazon.com: The Passage (9780345504968): Justin Cronin: Books

5142-%2BPYsoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

My first Kindle book.

The first third was amazing. There's a complete shift at about that third point, which is right where I am, and I have no idea where it's going from here. But the author did a good enough job with the first part that he's built up some good will, and I'm wiling to stick around and see where this train is headed...

That's what everyone's been saying. What I really want to start reading is Fables, but I hate reading incomplete comics.

Reading any comics Salty?

Not anything new of late. Like you, I like to be able to read a complete series so I generally don't ready/buy any until they're available as books.

I may start re-reading Transmetropolitan again, another one of my favorites along with Planetary.