The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Try an SR5-NB (gold edition).
I'm a big SR-X Mk.III fan, and the SR-X Pros really fixed their major shortcomings for me... either way I received a pair of SR-5/NB right before I left for a business trip a few days ago and won't have time to really try them for a couple of weeks! Got a pair of Gamma Pros with a f**ked arc assembly as well, and a nice chunky extension cable with the female end cut off... rather considering making a pair of SR-5/NB Pros... hopefully not sacrildge to bugger around with the "Gold"s!

I'm a big SR-X Mk.III fan, and the SR-X Pros really fixed their major shortcomings for me... either way I received a pair of SR-5/NB right before I left for a business trip a few days ago and won't have time to really try them for a couple of weeks! Got a pair of Gamma Pros with a f**ked arc assembly as well, and a nice chunky extension cable with the female end cut off... rather considering making a pair of SR-5/NB Pros... hopefully not sacrildge to bugger around with the "Gold"s!

I almost dropped my Gamma Pro drivers into the SR-5NB gold edition, but the SR-5NB sound too good to mess with. So, instead I sent the GP to Semggy for 6 months to get them turned into "Smegma Pros" (wood cup Gamma Pro). I picked up the O2 Mk1 ear pads at Audiocubes.

smegmapro1.jpg

smegmapro2.jpg

smegmapro3.jpg

I like how bald the guy is. The headpad is obscuring my view of its shiny glory.

I was thinking about converting my SR-5 Gold into a Pro version, but I got sidetracked by various things and I let someone borrow my soldering station, in the meanwhile. After 3 months, I still have not gotten it back from him. Interestingly, this was around the same time I bought some stuff around Carl which I also still have yet to receive.

If I do decide to go through with the Pro conversion, I'll probably have to buy a pro bias ribbon cable from somewhere, though.

I was too busy drooling over all the Focal speakers. How is it you noticed, are you really that keen on Stax? I think I just answered my own question.

Focal's do nothing for me so as I looked away quickly in horror there was the Sr-007 staring at me. :D Also I did recognize the system from a Swedish hi-fi forum I read from time to time and knew he had a SR-007.

Any suggestions as to how to dampen it? I have some loose cotton and felt I will try once I get the dust covers on. I just added one of the jmoney grado leather headbands onto the frame... looks good.

I used some open cell foam that some resistors I bought from Newark were packed in for my pair. You can just experiment, they open real easy.

Way to rub it in. :P

Oh, it's worse than that. These phones sound as good as they look. Seriously great bass out of these things, very good mids with natural tonality, and lots of punch. They're fantastic cans for rock and the like. Also very good detail but they're 'stats so that's a given.

I will audition the O2 Mk1 in two days' time, at last.

Trouble is, the guy who borrowed it from his friend only has a 313 which I guess is quite a bad match. Should I carry my T1S to him, does it worth the hassle? Because I have to admit that while it is truly great with the borrowed SR-Lambda (which will have to be returned today :'(), it is quite underwhelming with my other two phones (maybe my ESP950 is faulty, I don't know but the NB Lambda simply sounds much better on the T1S, and this is not just my opinion...) Also, is there a unofficial 'guide' to achieve the optimal fit without wasting too much time? Thanks :)

I almost dropped my Gamma Pro drivers into the SR-5NB gold edition, but the SR-5NB sound too good to mess with. So, instead I sent the GP to Semggy for 6 months to get them turned into "Smegma Pros" (wood cup Gamma Pro). I picked up the O2 Mk1 ear pads at Audiocubes.

smegmapro1.jpg

[...]

Want! My SR-5NB's want to look woodied too.

Bring the amp. The 313 is... ehhh... lacking... :D

Also, is there a unofficial 'guide' to achieve the optimal fit without wasting too much time? Thanks :)

Have the seams on the earpads facing front and slightly upwards. That works best for most people.