The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

A black and white picture makes it an order more difficult to tell though ;)

Maybe for you weak noobs!! Damn I've been playing too much Fallout... :P

It has the older arc assembly but not the Gamma variant, which only the Lambda Spirit/Pro Classic used, so that narrows it down to 3 units and the brown headpad of the Signatures would show up as a light color on the B&W photo. Simple really... ;D

How does the SRM-T1S compares to the current hybrid STAX amps?

I have the SRM-T1W, not the T1S. I think it is comparable to the 007t and 727 in overall sound quality, and is probably better than the 006t. I haven't compared these amps directly, so that is just a general impression.

It drives the Lambda Pro quite well. I also think it drives the SR-Omega surprisingly well.

Glad you like the output tubes Elephas :) I really liked Sylvania 6BX7s(I think that's what they were) in the second stage.

Yeah, the 3D21A quad and 6BX7 pair, as well as 6BL7, are all doing very well in the ES-1. These lower-cost tubes are great values.

I finally found another box to store the 3D21 adapters in, and reluctantly threw away your cardboard takeout box. That was a nice quality takeout box, the equivalent of a VT-231 in the takeout box world. :P

I've very pleased with the ES-1. I waited a long time for Single Power to do the upgrades, and experienced frustration with delays and particularly their broken promises regarding it being ready-to-ship, but I must say that the amp sounds great. I really like the dual 45-step attenuators, which were one of the upgrades done. I listen at varying volume levels, from ultra-low to medium high, depending on the music or my mood, and these attenuators allow precise control of the volume level.

But, unfortunately, it seems that there are good reasons why some tubes are quite expensive.

Philips metal base

Sylvania 6SN7W metal base

Tung-Sol 2C51 with adapters

ES1tubes.jpg

I have the SRM-T1W, not the T1S. I think it is comparable to the 007t and 727 in overall sound quality, and is probably better than the 006t. I haven't compared these amps directly, so that is just a general impression.

It drives the Lambda Pro quite well. I also think it drives the SR-Omega surprisingly well.

Thanks for the answer, now I just need to find one somehow... T1W would be also great but that is even harder to find (and more expensive). Maybe there is a bigger chance if I look for it in Japan as well, has anyone bought used STAX from Japan?

The T1S and T1W are identical except for the extra functions on the W model. The S sounds better to my ears but the older T1 is better over all.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Japan and is has its pitfalls just like everything else. Some of the equipment I bought was not like it had been described but that's where Craig at KuboTen comes in handy. He's a Stax nut and runs a deputy service so the perfect mix for us lot.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Japan and is has its pitfalls just like everything else. Some of the equipment I bought was not like it had been described but that's where Craig at KuboTen comes in handy. He's a Stax nut and runs a deputy service so the perfect mix for us lot.

Thanks, I will definitely keep an eye on that page.

The T1S and T1W are identical except for the extra functions on the W model. The S sounds better to my ears but the older T1 is better over all.

Craig is very nice indeed and helped me get a lot of good stuff that I had not other way of getting. Cool orthos come up on that site as well. ;D

Well, it seems the situation has changed quite a lot.

Tomorrow I will audition a STAX SRM-1/MK2 SR-404 combo which is for sale locally(the chances of finding one here are almost impossible). The amp seems to be in very good condition (comes from a stax enthusiastic) and the headphone is about a month old. If I buy it I may need to get a new IC cable (silly me) and a different DAC but the price seems to be ok so if I sounds right I won't resist the temptation, wish me luck ;) And I've read quite a lot of useful information here, thank you HC :)

Yeah, the 3D21A quad and 6BX7 pair, as well as 6BL7, are all doing very well in the ES-1. These lower-cost tubes are great values.

I finally found another box to store the 3D21 adapters in, and reluctantly threw away your cardboard takeout box. That was a nice quality takeout box, the equivalent of a VT-231 in the takeout box world. :P

I've very pleased with the ES-1. I waited a long time for Single Power to do the upgrades, and experienced frustration with delays and particularly their broken promises regarding it being ready-to-ship, but I must say that the amp sounds great. I really like the dual 45-step attenuators, which were one of the upgrades done. I listen at varying volume levels, from ultra-low to medium high, depending on the music or my mood, and these attenuators allow precise control of the volume level.

But, unfortunately, it seems that there are good reasons why some tubes are quite expensive.

Philips metal base

Sylvania 6SN7W metal base

Tung-Sol 2C51 with adapters

ES1tubes.jpg

Beautiful I am almighty envious of the dual 45 stepper. Trust me you would not have liked the 23 stepper. I had that 45 stepper in my SDS and it was perfect really. I hope to put those in my ss-1 one day when I have the spare cash.

Ha yeah the takeout box is just what they have in Google cafes it really works perfectly as tube packing material. Sadly I forgot to grab a couple for riceboy's tubes but I found some small boxes that worked as well or better.

Those metal base output tubes look hot as shit :)

I used to own a HeadAmp KGSS with dual 23-step attenuators, and I didn't like the large steps and not being able to dial in the desired volume exactly. Some songs are quite loud, usually not so well-recorded ones, and I felt I didn't have enough range one the volume knobs.

Another good thing is that the steps on these 45-step attenuators match up quite closely with the markings around the knobs.

There's some discussion of the O2Mk1 versus O2Mk2 (again, isn't everyone tired of it by now? How about some Jade versus O2Mk2? ;)) over at the HF Stax thread, and someone named some names.

I'll just hide out over here until the dust settles a bit.

That likely was my fault. I just thought that there must be other Mk2 preferrers (I like making up words) out there to at least make for some dialog.

I used to own a HeadAmp KGSS with dual 23-step attenuators, and I didn't like the large steps and not being able to dial in the desired volume exactly. Some songs are quite loud, usually not so well-recorded ones, and I felt I didn't have enough range one the volume knobs.

Another good thing is that the steps on these 45-step attenuators match up quite closely with the markings around the knobs.

The only thing that might be nicer is the Joshua Tree 100 stepper but at that point it is so smooth feeling that it feels closer to a pot than a stepped attenuator. Of course that isn't a bad thing :)

I'm considering buying a quad of extra tubes for rolling in anticipation of my BHSE. What characteristics do I look for - just a matched quad of EL34? A quick eBay search turned up these, any of them will do? Anyone know what will come stock with the BHSE?

Matched Quad of Tungsol EL34 B / 6CA7 tubes Tung sol - eBay (item 310100272607 end time Dec-13-08 08:25:18 PST)

NOS Siemens EL34 Tubes Matched Quad (RFT, Telefunken) - eBay (item 150309740000 end time Nov-19-08 21:28:33 PST)

EL34 EH -NEW Electro Harmonix Guitar AmpTubes 4 pc Quad - eBay (item 280286065168 end time Dec-16-08 00:02:15 PST)

Any one of these will work and the BHSE will ship with the Mullard reproductions which are supposed to be one of the best new production tubes. I've only tried ones from the first production run and I liked the SED "Winged C" better but that's supposed to have changed now. You don't need a matched quad (only matched pairs) but the quad won't hurt.

I personally wouldn't pay that much for the RFT tubes since they are good but not miles better then the new stuff. The Mullard XF3's are much better let alone the XF2's and XF1's which are the golden standard. If you like big, bloated bass then the GE and Sylvania (Phillips later on) would do it for you but they don't work well with the Omegas.

I'm beginning to think that the 007t---->O2 Mk2 combo just isn't doing it for me. I love the amp with my Lambdas. But I'm disappointed with the O2. I've been trying so hard to love the O2 mk2, but the magic doesn't see to be there. I don't know if this is an mk1 v. mk2 thing or the amp or what, but it is frustrating. Compared to my Signatures, the O2 mk2 does not have the same attack, nor does it seem to be as detailed. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it tonight. Regardless, I look forward to trying the O2 mk1 side-by-side at the NYC meet, and I also look forward to trying out some asskicking SS stat amps to see if what the mk2 needs is a swift kick in the pants.

Just when you think you've got the rig all set...:rolleyes:

It's an O2 thing as far as I am concerned. They need more than the 007t or 717/727 can offer to sound even decent. They can sound good on the Woo GES, but not great. They can sound pretty great on the ES-1/2, but not fantastic. And they are probably taken to their greatest level by the KGBH/SE as far as I have heard them. I wonder if a really powerful amp, say my McCormack DNA 500 with massive wattage could power a Stax trafo box and make the O2s come to life a bit. Should have tried it with Gene's Accuphase in Tampa but I just forgot.