The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

My SR-Lambdas are my endpoint for the time being. The next step I can see is some ESP-950s, or some SR-007. Anything in between is too much overlap for my ears.

The ESP-950 are very nice and I think I prefer them to the Lambdas I've heard (Signature and 404) because they don't have the so-called treble "etch", but one thing to consider is that the soundstage is not that great compared to most high-end headphones so you might want to look elsewhere if it's something important for you. It's not bad like a Grado, but it could definitely be bigger and with better spacial cues.

Other than that, I'm a big fan of these cans. I've been on the verge of selling them for a while to clear up some money, but I still haven't done it. They're in the hands of Koss right now because there was a buzzing in one channel. When they come back, I'll have to do a match up with the HD650 to see who stays in the house. :cool:

ESP/950 v. HD650? Not even a question here, though I sold my HD650 years ago, because I preferred my HD580. The ESP/950, even with the stock energizer, completely blow the HD580 out of the water for me. Of course, soundstage isnt something I highly value, largely on account of my music not having much of a soundstage to speak of.

Never heard them out of the stock amp, just out of Stax amps. Even out of my SRM-T1, they were nothing short of a revelation.

I always enjoyed Grados, though, and long ago divested all my dynamic gear, so I was glad to have something familiar in my camp. Like finding a burger joint in the middle of Ho Chi Minh.

I'm not sure I'm quite as enthusiastic as Colin regarding the ESP-950s. While when properly amped (I heard them out of the BHSE and SRD7) I would say I liked them at least as much as the HD-650s I thought they were pretty mediocre out of the stock energizer.

That's also my feeling, they were awesome out of the KGSS DX and the Cambridge 840A/SRD-7 Mk2, but they're just ok out of the E/90 and are outperformed easily to my ears by the HD650 out of the 840A headphone out. I'm pretty much sourceless for the moment though (unless iPod counts) while waiting for a Pico so my impressions are not exactly accurate. I shouldn't have sold my Duet so fast. :(

I'm not sure I'm quite as enthusiastic as Colin regarding the ESP-950s. While when properly amped (I heard them out of the BHSE and SRD7) I would say I liked them at least as much as the HD-650s I thought they were pretty mediocre out of the stock energizer.

I guess it is a good thing then that you were relieved of your old pair, and that they are instead sitting here. New amp (and headphones) to arrive Friday, if tracking is to be trusted.

The damping Stax put in the older Lambdas is mineral wool, so you can probably buy a chunk of that and replace it if you need to.

I assume you mean the foam on the pads that keep your ear from touching the metal. Loose open cell foam should be acoustically transparent or at least close enough. It's probably what Stax used in the first place.

I assume you mean the foam on the pads that keep your ear from touching the metal. Open cell acoustic foam should be acoustically transparent or at least close enough. It's probably what Stax used in the first place.

I was referring to the other side, behind the wool. But it would appear to be the same material. Thanks for the suggestions. I guess it really isn't needed in that location, but I would want to keep them similar to their original look.

Oh right, the half a SR-Lambda I have left also doesn't have that foam. It pretty much just makes the mineral wool less obvious, which I admit is a good thing.

I'm actually wondering how the Lambda Pro would sound with less or no damping. Probably worse, but krmathis recently mentioned removing the damping and making it sound more open.

Yay :D I may have overpaid by normal standards, but I definitely feel they're worth every penny, and more.

Well, you took the guesswork out of the equation and got a perfect condition pair. As some say you usually get what you pay for, that's why I never pay big $ for things I can buy on eBay. If you buy from a user here you most likely will get what you pay for :D

I understand from Spritzer that the Signatures did not have the wool damping. Does anyone know if the Signatures had the foam on the non-ear side of the driver?

Foam in on the back of the cup, against the plastic grille to protect against dust, just like Lambda Nova Signature or your SR-303.

Yay :D I may have overpaid by normal standards, but I definitely feel they're worth every penny, and more.

I got my first SR-Lambda with SRD-X from plaidplatypus for $230, and the second set for my son was about $340 ($240 Lambda from Fitz and $100 SRD-X from Spritzer). Neither one of us plans to sell these off anytime soon. Absolutely fantastic headphone - enough that I had normal bias jack installed on my Woo GES when I ordered it.

[sorry so spammy - damn iphone - no copy/paste is proof Steve Jobs is ill]

Sooo, got SRM-1/mk2 schematics? Is their a stax and koss amp schematic repository anywhere?

KG redrew the Koss schematic and I should have it here somewhere. I'll have to look for it though... The SRM-1 I don't have.

I understand from Spritzer that the Signatures did not have the wool damping. Does anyone know if the Signatures had the foam on the non-ear side of the driver?

All the Lambdas have the foam lining the inside of the cups and it should be available from Yama's.

I guess it is a good thing then that you were relieved of your old pair, and that they are instead sitting here. New amp (and headphones) to arrive Friday, if tracking is to be trusted.

Heh, I had two pairs at one point. It wasn't for lack of liking that had me selling them, just a lack of time to listen to one headphone rig.

Sorry to post out of the blue as a Newbie but was wondering if anyone can give me some advice? I posted this elsewhere but this might be a better thread to ask in.

I have a pair of Stax Gamma Pro and SRD7SB that I have had for many years, but have not used them for a long time as the thin diaphrams of the Gammas Developed holes in many years ago reducing the volume and freqency response (I had a look inside). Also the headband if broken.

I have recently found out after after all these years doing some research that this was the wrong type of adaptor for these Gamma Pros, - the SRD7SB being a "NORMAL" type 6 pin adapter and the Gamma Pros being a "PRO" type 5 pin connection which require different bias voltages. The shop that originally sold the adaptor and headphones to my Dad did not realise this.

So my question is this: - although the 5 pin PRO plug of the headphones fits into the 6 pin NORMAL adaptor socket, - has the damage the diaphrams endured been due to this mismatch of does this type of damage occur naturally over time? Is it OK to use the 5 pin PRO plug in a 6 pin NORMAL adaptor or is it a real no no?

Also was wondering (as I have tried in the UK and parts are not availiable anymore), - is it possible to still buy replacement parts anywhere at all, - I obviously need new diaphrams and headband for my Gamma Pros or they are junk?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Colin

HI Guys,

Thanks for your kind replies.

So maybe it is OK to use a 5 pin PRO socketed Earspeaker with a 6 spin NORMAL bias socket like the 2 that are on the SRD7SB, -despite the bias voltages being different.

Could the damage to my Gamma Diaphrams just have occured due to the power amplifier overdriving them and not a mismatch with the adaptor? My Dad used a Naim NAP250 power amp with them, - quite a powerful and current capable amp. I have read elsewhere just now that although you can get quite good results with the SRD series of transformers and a power amp, - it is a little risky unless you are careful with the volume as you can get problems with the power amp overdriving the transformers in the adaptor and/or overdriving the heaphones too causing damage. Apparently the SRM series of amps (with dedicated heaphone specific internal power amps of more suitable lower ratings) are safer I believe in this regard and damage is less likely to occur than using an SRD with a speaker power amp). Can anyone more experienced chime in on this?

Many thanks again.

Colin