The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I'd say it depends on the condition it arrives in :)

I have been told (for what thats worth) that it is in excellent working condition, and the audio company I actually bought it from, Audio Alternative in Fort Collins, CO, shipped it today double boxed, insured, and with tracking UPS ground. I do hope the pads are in decent shape, as the last Lambda Pro I heard, while good, was outclassed (slightly) by a SR-Lambda, and I suspect that at least some of this is because the Lambda pads were in better condition and sealed properly for me, while the Pro pads didnt quite.

I do hope the pads are in decent shape, as the last Lambda Pro I heard, while good, was outclassed (slightly) by a SR-Lambda, and I suspect that at least some of this is because the Lambda pads were in better condition and sealed properly for me, while the Pro pads didnt quite.

Nope, the SR-Lambda is simply better as it doesn't have the midrange recession and the uneven bass and treble of the Pro's. ;D

And you can loan me the srm once you build your amp :)

fify

{Puts Audio Alternative on speed dial}

FYI, this was a private person who set the price, not Audio Alternative. They just handled the transaction and shipping.

Nope, the SR-Lambda is simply better as it doesn't have the midrange recession and the uneven bass and treble of the Pro's. ;D

You cant tell me my ears are supposed to be as against the stators (or rather, stator condom) as they were on the Lambda Pro, while I was good on the Lambda. I didnt have enough time on either to characterize the sound other than "I think I like this one moar, the mids are tastier".

Sooo, got SRM-1/mk2 schematics? Is their a stax and koss amp schematic repository anywhere?

My SR-Lambdas are my endpoint for the time being. The next step I can see is some ESP-950s, or some SR-007. Anything in between is too much overlap for my ears.

I agree with you on that, which is why I sold one of my Lambdas to fund something hopefully.. better.

Since I am too cheap to afford the SR-007 or 4070 I'm going for some DIY alternatives. I got a Koss ESP10 which I need to reterminate and replace the caps on and bought Birgir's Alpha Pro drivers for a SR-5 transplantation, and will eventually make my own DIY 4070 using normal bias Lambda drivers. It's gonna kick ass and probably break my neck.

My SR-Lambdas are my endpoint for the time being. The next step I can see is some ESP-950s, or some SR-007. Anything in between is too much overlap for my ears.

I agree with you on that, which is why I sold one of my Lambdas to fund something hopefully.. better.

Since I am too cheap to afford the SR-007 or 4070 I'm going for some DIY alternatives. I got a Koss ESP10 which I need to reterminate and replace the caps on and bought Birgir's Alpha Pro drivers for a SR-5 transplantation, and will eventually make my own DIY 4070 using normal bias Lambda drivers. It's gonna kick ass and probably break my neck.

All this talk is making me impatient *hint hint* ;D

Hey you mean you got two SR-Lambdas?