The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

My O2 mkls have just arrived from Japan in great shape and sounding sweet. While I know east/west coast representation has ranked them third overall in the Stax world, they are floating my boat.

Sonic Studio 305 > eXsTaTa > Os mkl is rocking my world on the Abbey Road remaster

New drivers in my Lambdas fixed all of my issues...... YAY!

I can't believe those little buggers, just sitting round in a cupboard for the last 25 years, can still sound so damn good.

Now crack open the old drivers to see what was causing those issues!! :)

I can see it pretty easily now that it is separated from the baffle...... the front dust cover on the bad driver is really loose and floppy. By gently blowing on it I can hear it 'flapping in the breeze' (this was probably the crackling noise), and I wouldn't be surprised if it was loose enough to be able to touch the front stator. I'm almost positive that dust would have been able to get in as well.

My O2 mkls have just arrived from Japan in great shape and sounding sweet. While I know east/west coast representation has ranked them third overall in the Stax world, they are floating my boat.

Sonic Studio 305 > eXsTaTa > Os mkl is rocking my world on the Abbey Road remaster

Should I go back and find your comments about how the 404LE were the cat's meow, and the HD800 before that and so on and so on.... :P

That would certainly cause issues with higher bias voltages. Lucky that you were able to score a NOS set of drivers.

Should I go back and find your comments about how the 404LE were the cat's meow, and the HD800 before that and so on and so on.... :P

Do we have a Nik in our ranks?

The HE60 are on a level playing field with the O2 on the BH. I really can't say which one I like more. The HE60 have a slightly diffuse presentation (not as bad as the Jade), and still have quite a big soundstage that works really well with rock music. But at the same time they image quite well... strange headphones. The HE60 and O2 scale really well with better amps, but with the 404LE don't really sound that different with the BH and Exstata.

This isn't exactly going to shock anyone, but having lived with the O2 MK1 + KGSS combo for a month or so now, I'm going to venture to say it's not entirely unpleasant.

meh, not worth 2x the price of a 717 for me. If they could be found used more commonly they might be put in 'hey maybe that's a good idea' territory.

the only next step for me from here is a BHSE, if Justin is still making them in a few years...

but yeah, I'm not suffering terribly right now either haha

I do believe you were right there with me kissing HD800 ass my friend and as for the 404 le I think (but could be wrong booze being what it is) that I qualified the statement based on price/performance.

I am pretty happy with the O2's but after the 4070s arrive two enter the cage but only one shall remain in Carlisle