The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I don't get it. I bought a sr40/srd4 with a 15' extension for about $72 shipped a couple years ago.

As of late, I keep seeing these set up go for more and more money.

This one doesn't even have the extension.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stax-SR40-headphones-excellent-condition-/200576773266?pt=AU_Hi_Fi_Speakers&hash=item2eb34eac92

Did somebody start stuffing gold into them, or what? Not a bad starter set up at $72, but $243 US?

I've heard horrible things about the O2 with the SRM727, but is it that bad? Would I be better off with a SR507/SRM323S instead?

Still planning to raid the kid's college fund after the Bay Area meet, eh?

Spritzer posted here a mod for the SRM-727 to add negative feedback and says it sounds much better. If you can DIY it might still be an option.

Still planning to raid the kid's college fund after the Bay Area meet, eh?

Spritzer posted here a mod for the SRM-727 to add negative feedback and says it sounds much better. If you can DIY it might still be an option.

Heehee. It's all n3rling's fault. Yeah - I can solder. I'll search for the mods and hopefully there will be folks to help me not blow things up.

Hmmm on second thought I could go slow, have a KGSS or BH built in the meantime, and maybe grab a used O2 when the "O3" comes out.

The stock 727 is a massive letdown to say the least but modded it is a rather nice amp. The mod isn't hard to do but requires some soldering skill.

Also, don't blame Milos since his addiction is all my doing... B)

It all started with The Monkey. He got me to upgrade to a real DAC - then it started - all dynamics (cans) started to sound like...

I thought Stax prices were high a couple of years ago :o

It's strange how headphone gear (headphones and amps) has maintained (or increased) its value in the last several years, while the rest of hifi sales in used and new market are way down.

That would be mostly Head-Fi. I have seen a site smaller than Head Case drive the prices of vintage JBL speakers way up over a few years time, simply by talking them up as nice speakers.

I believe Head-Fi is the largest audio site on the web, or nearly so. It doesn't matter that 98% of what is posted there is uninformed garbage; people read it. The price of good older units climb. The crap units might go up too, I don't know. I do not follow crap. I always tried to avoid marching behind the horses in the parade.

Clark

The price of old 70's receivers is unbelievable.

i had a couple of old Marantz units I paid $5 and $20 for.

When I got tired of looking at them, I put them up on craigslist

And almost got run over by a stampede. There are old units worth

the Big $$$, and then there's just old stuff. When did "vintage"

replace "tired old crap"? There's some really great old gear out there,

but much of this stuff isn't it. At minimum, it's going to need re-capping.

The sr40 setup does sound good, with no balance issues at all.

The earpads are flat, and it doesn't look like I'll be replacing them anytime soon.

I use the extension cord(5 or 6 pin style) and sometimes use the sr40 for testing.

The price of old 70's receivers is unbelievable.

i had a couple of old Marantz units I paid $5 and $20 for.

When I got tired of looking at them, I put them up on craigslist

And almost got run over by a stampede. There are old units worth

the Big $$$, and then there's just old stuff. When did "vintage"

replace "tired old crap"? There's some really great old gear out there,

but much of this stuff isn't it. At minimum, it's going to need re-capping.

The sr40 setup does sound good, with no balance issues at all.

The earpads are flat, and it doesn't look like I'll be replacing them anytime soon.

I use the extension cord(5 or 6 pin style) and sometimes use the sr40 for testing.

I think the difference is that once you recap it (and/or replace any other worn out parts, clean and lube the knobs, etc.), it becomes a quality product again. Whereas BPC (black plastic crap) remains BPC (here I'm talking about mostly solid state stuff -- and I don't mean discrete, because I have some quality old Pioneer solid state stuff).

I think the difference is that once you recap it (and/or replace any other worn out parts, clean and lube the knobs, etc.), it becomes a quality product again. Whereas BPC (black plastic crap) remains BPC (here I'm talking about mostly solid state stuff -- and I don't mean discrete, because I have some quality old Pioneer solid state stuff).

Yeah, that. I have an old BPC Sony receiver from the '90s that really sounds like shite, I don't understand why it sounds as bad as it does. Should probably take a look inside to see what not to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the chance to listen to the KGSS at today's Toronto meet. It was very impressive. Especially with the sr-507, the KGSS had driven it much better than my exstata hybrid. The exstata had a slightly recessed bass comparatively, giving it a forward sound. OTOH, KGSS sounded more balanced. The exstata also had a tendency to distort under loud volumes, something that KGSS does not do. Overall KGSS is a much better amplifier. I can't wait to build the KGSSHV! :D

I've also had the chance to listen to O2 mk1. There was an issue with channel imbalance with this particular pair, but the KGSS had separate volume controls for each channel, so it wasn't too big of an issue. Despite the issue with it, I liked it. It was very spacious, had more bass impact comparatively, and was very comfortable. However, I had the feeling that it wasn't as clean as the 507s on the KGSS. It probably has something to do with the issues surrounding this pair.

• 4 weeks later...