The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I can't remember if I owned two or three pairs. But I agree with Deepak. The high-pitched squeal always happened at least intermittently. I always had to short the pins eventually to try removing it for a listening session. I wouldn't even consider a pair if overseas without that warranty to lean on.

"Agreed (couldn't stand that wall of sound, with no space). And every pair I owned eventually developed the high frequency squeal."

"I love the ESP950, among my favorite headphones."

Proof of the mnemonic "YMMV"....

The squealing issue could be due to the practically unprotected drivers. Koss did make reservations for a voltage divider in the amp to cut the bias supply so this makes it a more likely cause.

I've been itching to get a ESP950 and fit the drivers in the HE90 frame I have here. Groupbuy? ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I'm not sure whether I should post this in here or in the amp section, but as I don't want to open a new thread for this, here it goes:

Which one do you think would be best for an O2 MKI, a modded 727A or a 323S? Will they be a significant upgrade over my SS eXStatA?

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

Yes it certainly would I would go no less than a modded 727A.

I don't know if I get flamed for that but on today's micro meet I was shocked by a power cable change on the 717, it was much better sounding than it was before. Apart from the bass which I find hard to get accustomed to it was quite stunning.

Thanks for the help, Padam (not the first time you helped me, eh?)!

It's quite hard to find the mod instructions, do you know where I can find it? I've got no DIY skills yet so I'd ask a friend of mine who's an engineer to do the mod for me, but because of that, it would be great to have all the information and all the detailed steps needed to do it!

Does not look hard to do, should only take a few minutes.

It is possible that you take out the sockets and send them to someone who does the mod, and put them back - if you don't need to re-set the voltage which is a little trickier (or you just use a step up transformer). Because it is probably in Japan where you can probably find one the quickest.

Edited by padam