The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Btw. This new SR-X Mk3 Pro I just made sounds really good! ;D

How'd you manage that? I assume other drivers wouldn't fit in there so I'm guessing you increased the spacing between the diaphragm and the stators? Maybe I should pick up a second SR-X Mk3 for experimentation. >:D

Oh, and welcome krmathis. Good to see you here. Personally I'm only really posting here these days although it's not that I'm avoiding HF or anything. Just finding I don't have time to sort through everything going on over there. I should probably just bookmark the Stax thread since that's about the only one I ever read.

How'd you manage that? I assume other drivers wouldn't fit in there so I'm guessing you increased the spacing between the diaphragm and the stators? Maybe I should pick up a second SR-X Mk3 for experimentation. >:D

Gamma/Alpha drivers do fit since Stax just did what I planned to do, use thicker spacers and drill new holes as the basic construction of the drivers is identical. For this one I used my old SR-X Mk3 with a ribbon cable and a SR-Alpha Pro Excellent and an old Gamma Pro cable that was easier to work with. The real trouble is to find the right adhesive to mount the drivers but once you have that it's mostly just a nerve wracking experience... :P

Gamma/Alpha drivers do fit since Stax just did what I planned to do, use thicker spacers and drill new holes as the basic construction of the drivers is identical. For this one I used my old SR-X Mk3 with a ribbon cable and a SR-Alpha Pro Excellent and an old Gamma Pro cable that was easier to work with. The real trouble is to find the right adhesive to mount the drivers but once you have that it's mostly just a nerve wracking experience... :P

Ah okay, I didn't realize those were the same drivers. Gammas and Alphas seem harder to find than SR-X Mk3s so I can't see I'd try such a thing any time soon. You mentioned it sounds really good so I have to wonder what the difference are from the original driver.

OK Staxen, I have a question:

A local guy has the following for $2300, firm:

STAX Omega II's Earspeaker plus 007t Tube Amplifier. Please note that photos shows that this comes complete with 20 ft extension cord, earspeaker stand with clear plastic cover which were all extra cost items you would want.

1203106308.jpg

What say you on the deal-meter? I am buying a 4070 also, and was considering the 007tII new, although I have not checked out prices yet. I am also thinking of giving the O2s a real shot since so many people say that they are all that when given time.

Oh well, I pulled the trigger on this deal and the seller agreed to deliver it to me on Tuesday. Nice. I am going to be staying in a hotel downtown for a few days, so I guess I can use my iMod or laptop through the Pico as a source and have a pretty damn fine "road rig." :dance:

Thanks for all the input on my questions. Much appreciated. Now, I just have to find out for myself if the O2 is all that or not. Then, I will be able to compare with the 4070 as soon as Todd gets those delivered to me. I guess that makes me a pretty clear member of the Stax Mafia, in addition to the AKG Mafia, the Ultrasone Mafia, the Sony Mafia, the Grado Mafia, the Sennheiser Mafia, the Shure Mafia, etc. >:D

Oh well, I pulled the trigger on this deal and the seller agreed to deliver it to me on Tuesday. Nice. I am going to be staying in a hotel downtown for a few days, so I guess I can use my iMod or laptop through the Pico as a source and have a pretty damn fine "road rig." :dance:

Thanks for all the input on my questions. Much appreciated. Now, I just have to find out for myself if the O2 is all that or not. Then, I will be able to compare with the 4070 as soon as Todd gets those delivered to me. I guess that makes me a pretty clear member of the Stax Mafia, in addition to the AKG Mafia, the Ultrasone Mafia, the Sony Mafia, the Grado Mafia, the Sennheiser Mafia, the Shure Mafia, etc. >:D

Al, congrats. I'm curious to hear what you have to say after comparing the O2 to the 4070.

Ah okay, I didn't realize those were the same drivers. Gammas and Alphas seem harder to find than SR-X Mk3s so I can't see I'd try such a thing any time soon. You mentioned it sounds really good so I have to wonder what the difference are from the original driver.

They are the exact same drivers except the top of the Pros sticks out a little due to the larger D/S spacing. The Gamma Pro's aren't that hard to source with plenty on ebay.de but the price makes the conversion too expensive. The Alphas are much rarer.

They do sound much better then the normal bias model with more bass, better soundstage and not as damn analytical. Even though both frequency extremes are extended they aren't bass monsters or bright but every little bit helps. The sound upgrade is a combination of the better drivers (more D/S spacing and thinner diaphragms) and the glue I use to mount the drivers. The Stax glue (same as was used on the earpads) isn't all that good and the newer stuff is much better.

There is only one Mafia... and it is the Stax Mafia. :stick: Now you need some Japan made 6CG7's preferably late 60's/early 70's Toshiba's for the holy grail.

OK, where do I find them? Have any for sale?

I have a nice stash but no matched quads which is what you need. I do find them from time to time in Japan and on eBay but your best bet are the Raytheon tubes sold on the bay. They are most likely made by Matsushita and do sound quite good in the Stax amps.

I have a question for the stax/e'stat experts: is there a reason why a qualified DIYer could not construct a modern version of a SRD7mII type of transformer/energizer? I'm not necessarily on the fast track for this anymore but looking around, these seem pretty hard to score (and in various stages of old age).

I have a question for the stax/e'stat experts: is there a reason why a qualified DIYer could not construct a modern version of a SRD7mII type of transformer/energizer? I'm not necessarily on the fast track for this anymore but looking around, these seem pretty hard to score (and in various stages of old age).

Good audio transformers are very expensive, it would be cheaper to make a good amp than a good transformer box

Good audio transformers are very expensive, it would be cheaper to make a good amp than a good transformer box

That's exactly the problem. I've looked at Lundahl and Sowter (check out their 4342 transformer) and they will push the price close to 1k$ in an instant. It would be much cheaper to buy an older SRD-7 and build a new bias supply for it. I have the SRD-7 Mk2 schematic somewhere around here if you need it. That will never make the SRD-7 trafos a good match to the SR-007 as they simply can't deliver the power needed but are still a good budget way to come close to the holy grail.