The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Tyll made a second measurement of the 009 because Spritzer gave him a KGSS to use as a reference, not because he had two different 009s. The measurements are also almost identical.

]

I am well aware why Tyll did this measurement. But I don't think that the KGSS can make a 5 dB difference between 7-9KHz. The second one will definitely be less bright.

The two had different SN maybe such variation within a lot is not unusual. Should also explain the vastly different impressions.

I am sure Birger can shed some light.

We have no way of knowing when Stax did the change but no way the amp is responsible for that change.  Unit to unit variation could be a part of this but no way it's the sold reason. 

Just received an SR-Gamma Pro. And I wonder how to change the headpad, since its a bit stiff, stiffer than today's pads and also plastic-framed vintage pads.

There aren't any screws on the mounting parts, only plastic chips...and I don't want to break anything. 

Did anyone already performed this ?

Thanks.

Ali

Two ways to do this, first unclip the two sections and they fall apart.  Almost impossible to and shows that Stax never thought this stuff would be taken apart. 

The way that actually works is to unscrew the fork and remove it, then slowly pull the pieces off the arc while making sure the brake inside doesn't get caught.  Hard to get it back together though... 

• Like 1

Thank you Birgir. Good idea to unmount the fork, but since the Don himself says it's tricky...I think I'll keep it that way  :laugh:

The headpad is not worn nor stretched, just a bit twisted, probably bad storage. I suppose I just have to wear it / let it rest on a good shaped stand to get something a bit more good looking.

BTW, very pleasant set of cans. SR-5 / SR-X family sound without any doubt, but more kick and more extension

Ali

Edited by Ali-Pacha

Back or front ? Back foam (yellow one + thin black grid) is in perfect shape on mine, no more front foam tough...I'll cut in some HD600 foam disc one day or another to avoid too much skin oil on plastic inner frame.

BTW, headpad is almost completely in good shape, simply using it  :laugh:

Ali

Edited by Ali-Pacha

Yeah, they have, but with a complete dearth of information (in English) about these amps, it would be nice if someone knowledgable would take a closer look at them.

I'd try my luck with one of those 45 headphone amps if I had a dynamic setup, 100% positive feedback on YJ should mean something.

It seems that this is the "Hatt audio lab" YJ account, and the company also makes and sells output transformers, which may account for the low prices. Also I think the tubes aren't included in some of the amps.

Edited by Tachikoma

just recabled my 007s with a black cable, I think the sound is too dark now. It still squeals a bit, I might need to clean up the solder joints. I get the shakes when trying to reflow the solder haha

btw I have SN70111, but the teflon/resin/whatever housing the driver is one single piece. I was under the impression that the earlier models have some sort of resin piece + 2 screws that holds the cable entry in place?

Also has the carbon fiber box

Edited by nopants

That "T2" amp has either a choke or a transformer on the output.  Think WES in quality...

I have better things to waste money on.  :)

just recabled my 007s with a black cable, I think the sound is too dark now. It still squeals a bit, I might need to clean up the solder joints. I get the shakes when trying to reflow the solder haha

btw I have SN70111, but the teflon/resin/whatever housing the driver is one single piece. I was under the impression that the earlier models have some sort of resin piece + 2 screws that holds the cable entry in place?

Also has the carbon fiber box

It probably a fit issue that's the core reason behind the change in sound signature. 

The first units have a solid resin ring below the earpads so the cable entry is obscured.

Edited by spritzer

Just because somebody is winding their own transformers doesn't mean they have any clue how to make something so niche as an electrostatic output transformer. 

Wait, there's a new Cavalli amp?

Indeed the LLmk2T, a tube unit but also not.  :palm:   Hello tube Exstata with a totally unnecessary SS output stage.