The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I more or less agree, I spent a lot of time using them side by side so I'm mostly making my statement based on the sonics. I ended up selling mine but I just received some new cascode KGST boards.

The BHSE still stays around because Marc built it- you can't get work like that at the corner store

The tides are turning...  I just scored a headinclouds KGST,  007 m1 from no pants, a 007A from birger and a fresh pair of 009s.  Now waiting on the BHSE..  

Congrats man.  You will be quite happy when they are landed. 

Sounds good. Didn`t you put deposit down for a bhse last year? And didn`t you place a deposit for a kgsshv dx from Tran 2 years ago?

You know all this he1000 talk recently about it being the best thing since sliced bread is really getting my pants antsy.

Sounds good. Didn`t you put deposit down for a bhse last year? And didn`t you place a deposit for a kgsshv dx from Tran 2 years ago?

You know all this he1000 talk recently about it being the best thing since sliced bread is really getting my pants antsy.

Yeah Tran ripped me off (out 4K).  Never got anything back from that.  Yes I also was on the BHSE list before.  (my dumb ass) I'm staying on this time..

I have a BHSE, but I'm eventually getting a KGSSHV Carbon.

I'm doing this for three reasons, first, if anything happened to the BHSE I wouldn't be without listening to the 009's,

second, with the BHSE having tubes I won't leave it on unattended, it's probably safe to do that be it's still something I wouldn't do,

and third, the KGSSHV Carbon should make the 009's sound slightly different which will give a bit more variety.

I have the SR-003mk2's which I find sound different to the 009's, but they're mostly for when it gets too hot for listening to the 009's. [ which isn't that often in the UK ??? ]

Yeah Tran ripped me off (out 4K).  Never got anything back from that.  Yes I also was on the BHSE list before.  (my dumb ass) I'm staying on this time..

Yeah I'm short a few boards from his last gb. I know a typhoon hit his town something must've got to him.

If the AUD was stronger I would place an order for the BHSE but it's almost $10k from our distributor so no thank you.

Edited by DefQon

I have a BHSE, but I'm eventually getting a KGSSHV Carbon.

I'm doing this for three reasons, first, if anything happened to the BHSE I wouldn't be without listening to the 009's,

second, with the BHSE having tubes I won't leave it on unattended, it's probably safe to do that be it's still something I wouldn't do,

and third, the KGSSHV Carbon should make the 009's sound slightly different which will give a bit more variety.

I have the SR-003mk2's which I find sound different to the 009's, but they're mostly for when it gets too hot for listening to the 009's. [ which isn't that often in the UK ??? ]

The Carbon does sound pretty amazing with the 009.  :)  You can also pretty much run it indefinitely, it's so stable that it isn't even funny.  No wild swings of the KGSSHV here and the servo keeps it at 0.2V. 

I do like the 007Mk2.9 most of all though.  The more I tinker with them the more I like 'em.  Gone is the soft top end of the Mk1 and then there is that bass...  ???  That awesome bass... 

I need to find one of my SR-Omegas too and see how they like the Carbon. 

haha what caused your 0.1 revision? Just to make sure, these are the 007s you can buy right now on PriceJapan?

I'm experimenting with some packaging materials I received from a DHL shipment to make custom pads for the 007s, excruciating amounts of work to shape foam

Edited by nopants

haha what caused your 0.1 revision? Just to make sure, these are the 007s you can buy right now on PriceJapan?

Wasn't is always 2.9?  I dunno...  Should be the latest from Price Japan but this is a Mk2 unit and a Kiwi one at that. 

The Carbon does sound pretty amazing with the 009.  :)  You can also pretty much run it indefinitely, it's so stable that it isn't even funny.  No wild swings of the KGSSHV here and the servo keeps it at 0.2V. 

I do like the 007Mk2.9 most of all though.  The more I tinker with them the more I like 'em.  Gone is the soft top end of the Mk1 and then there is that bass...  ???  That awesome bass... 

I need to find one of my SR-Omegas too and see how they like the Carbon. 

I have the money to get your KGSSHV Carbon, and also a most recent 007, but my home improvement needs sorting out before getting anymore audio gear, and what I'm having done is going to cost quite a bit.

Regarding the newest 007, I haven't heard one but did hear a 007mk2 driven by my BHSE [ about a year ago ] while the Psvane PH's were being used, and wasn't impressed at all, [ reminded me of the SR-007mk1 driven by the SRM-007t which I once had both ] so these 007's built now would have to sound a lot different to that 007mk2 I heard,  however I'm now using the Mullard xf4's with the BHSE.

Didn't you do a mod to those 007mk2.9's of yours Birgir ?

Like mentioned by padam on this thread, post 9870, if Stax were to do a mini-SR-009 similar to their SR-Xmk3, then that would get me interested, however if they did and the headband was similar to that on either the SR-Xmk3 or SR-009, then I'd have to do one like that I did on my 009's.

It's always the price point that comes to play here.  In truth they are just different, the BHSE isn't inherently better in every way.

What I would like to know is Justin's bhse any better sounding than the ones you build Birgir,as the circuits look very different visually and the psu,one in a separate box and the other in same box.

I have the money to get your KGSSHV Carbon, and also a most recent 007, but my home improvement needs sorting out before getting anymore audio gear, and what I'm having done is going to cost quite a bit.

Regarding the newest 007, I haven't heard one but did hear a 007mk2 driven by my BHSE [ about a year ago ] while the Psvane PH's were being used, and wasn't impressed at all, [ reminded me of the SR-007mk1 driven by the SRM-007t which I once had both ] so these 007's built now would have to sound a lot different to that 007mk2 I heard,  however I'm now using the Mullard xf4's with the BHSE.

Didn't you do a mod to those 007mk2.9's of yours Birgir ?

Like mentioned by padam on this thread, post 9870, if Stax were to do a mini-SR-009 similar to their SR-Xmk3, then that would get me interested, however if they did and the headband was similar to that on either the SR-Xmk3 or SR-009, then I'd have to do one like that I did on my 009's.

Dave are you not happy with your blue Hawaii,would do my head in having to expensive amps constantly swapping between the two all the time

Dave are you not happy with your blue Hawaii,would do my head in having to expensive amps constantly swapping between the two all the time

I'm extremely happy with the BHSE, and driving the 009's ( since using the PH tubes and xf4's that is ) but I've mentioned in my post 9925 on this thread why I'm eventually getting a KGSSHV Carbon.

I'm extremely happy with the BHSE, and driving the 009's ( since using the PH tubes and xf4's that is ) but I've mentioned in my post 9925 on this thread why I'm eventually getting a KGSSHV Carbon.

soz mate didn't see your post,if anything happened to your bhse isn't the some kind of warranty or when out of warranty surely Justin would help you to get it fixed?

if anything happened to your bhse isn't the some kind of warranty or when out of warranty surely Justin would help you to get it fixed?

IMO the BHSE is so well built, I think it'll run without accident for along time, however if or when it does need repairing, I think Justin would help out.

I'd have to pay for any repairs and the returns delivery though, which I'd expect.